4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

where to start with upgrades to improve reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope your friend came out ok. I assume the instruction say that, but thanks all the same. I tend to skip the disconnect batteries when doing maintenance, but as you said lightening and fuel means at best no eyebrows. My dad had that experience working on a finance without turning off gas. Flash Burns suck. I will make sure that part is pictured.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:42 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, it tells you to do that in the instructions. Richard even sends the instructions printed in color. IN BIG "Red" fancy letters it tells you this.

I am sure many people skip that part and find out the hard way.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:30 PM

Just received some items from UPS today, 10-'12 6.7L Dodge Ram MK-2 + Big Line Kit and an AFE conical shaped drop in filter. I will try to get some pics of up soon. Hopefully Saturday's weather is as good as it is today, 60 degrees on Jan 30 makes me wish I had the day off, I could get a lot of stuff done today.

I decided on the AFE drop in because of the reviews I have seen on the kits and some advice in this thread, I thought this was a good way to get a little better air flow and save money in future on filter purchases, got it for less than four filter changes. I may look at making a ram scoop similar to S&B's later to adapt to the bottom of stock filter housing. Did a ram induction on my '91 daytona by cutting an inlet on the filter cover and drop a corrugated plastic hose to front of bumper where the grill opening is located, it was cheap and effective, and took the toe out of a pair of panty hose to use as a pre-filter. It is amazingly effective, used that method on atvs, motorcycles, and Dad's garbage trucks for years.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Keep us posted!
Old 01-31-2012, 08:46 AM

Thumbs up

Put the AFE filter in last night. Easiest upgrade you can do. Prior to installing I was getting readings from the MAF showing less than 100 g/s, after install saw a high reading of 167 g/s at 17psi boost. No effect on EGT read by the computer, I believe this reading is post turbo. Oh, the afe filter is huge, if it could hold water it would hold about a gallon of water, it feels up the air box nicely. I will check it at next fuel fill up to see if there is any unwanted dirt getting past the filter.

I am getting all of my readings using Torque android app with a Bluetooth OBDII adapter and a dell streak 7, so take the numbers for what they are. I don't know what stock parameters should be to get a judge on the accuracy. Some numbers require user inputted information. And the lieometer it seems to be off, the instant mpg was showing 255mpg when slowing down entering town, and an instant under load of between 14-34 mpg depending on road. I had the cruise on so that it was not foot fluctuations. However, the trip mpg seems to be fairly accurate compared to hand calculations +/- .2 mpg on avg.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:30 AM

So, I have my 2 micron filter, hopefully installed this weekend. My next debate is improve ride quality or improve performance. I can either get a Carli starter system or a mini max with dpf/egr delete kit for about $1100 with free shipping. Wife constantly complains about the rough ride of the truck, but prefers to take it because it is more comfortable for the kids. If I go with carli, the truck is going to look weird for a while until I get new shoes put on, still running stock tires. Dropping a grand on new tires, when I have a barely used set that should last another couple years. Now if anyone knows someone who would buy a set of 245/70-17's, I would gladly make them a deal.

So any thoughts on which way to go? Any idea of were to get the best prices? From what I have seen pretty much everyone sells the equipment for the same price.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:29 AM

How much of a lift are you looking to put under your truck?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:26 PM

Mainly looking at improving the ride and give the truck a 4x4 stance. With the safety standards that are in place to protect the tree hugers in their Priuses from being killed, the truck has the stance of a 2nd gen 2wd. I had considered just a Carli leveling system, and then add the leaf pack and rear shocks latter. But from what I hear the real improve comes from the rear end setup. Plus it is cheaper to buy the starter system than to upgrade the leveling kit. I plan on sticking with 17" wheels, will probably keep stock wheels and tires until I need new tires, unless I can find a nice set of takeoffs from a power wagon, that won't cost more than a good set of aftermarkets.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:31 PM

Some [edit] put a paint transfer on the side of my truck, so broke out the Fukken to get the transfer off and decided to do the rest of my truck, 25 minutes everything but the cab roof. Picture taken with my Dell Streak 7.

Last edited by Blake Clark; 02-02-2012 at 04:15 AM. Reason: language
Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 PM

Picture got deleted when organizing my photo album
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-01-2012, 03:03 PM

Here are the parts Richard from GDP sent me. The most neatly packaged purchase I have ever received. Instructions are easily understood. Had a few questions for Richard on installing without removing EGR crossover, he says it isn't necessary, but does make it easier. Hopefully I will have images of it going in this weekend, going to have to dodge, LOL, the rain. If tomorrow and Friday are nice may just start in the parking lot at work, got a few laughs waxing her out there today. But hey I have a $40k truck and he drives a old beater ranger. Guess who really is laughing.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah, Mr Richard has some really good stuff, and if you have any issues, he jumps right on it!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:03 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Great kit from GDP. I know that you will like it!!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:16 AM

sorry, that I had to be edited. People who don't take a few extra seconds before swinging their doors open is my biggest pet peeve. I have had to remove three dents, getting pretty good at pdr, but unfortunately a co-worker put the worst in the side and didn't even say sorry. The worst part is she got a door ding in her car the other day and was complaining that people need to be more careful.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:17 PM

just found this when looking into delete kits. GearBoxZ - DPF-R Dodge 3.0 Electronics
[GBZDD30]

Has anyone heard of this? If so what are your thoughts? Can dealer tell if this had been put on your truck (as long as you put dpf back on when you go in)?

possible way to start deletes at lower cost allowing for partial delete and better ride with suspension upgrade.

Quick Reply: where to start with upgrades to improve reliability