4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

where to start with upgrades to improve reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to start with upgrades to improve reliability

So after doing some routine maintainence I have decided some improvements need to come. Black oil is just wrong. I am thinking full delete but where to start with $1400 budget. Confident in being able to figure it out but need to do in stages as I don't have a garage. Any advice on how to get started would be great. What products best to go with. Like the fit and finish of h&s mini.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:47 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1st, read Blakes thread on Delete's.

Most of the comments are going to be opinionated so I will stick with the facts as I have learned them.

Fuel filtration is a must. I recommend getting a 2 Micron set-up. GDP makes a great kit.

If you delete, it will void the warranty so be prepared to do work on your own if something happens with the powertrain.

Might want to consider deciding, due to budget, on the Cali-delete option.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:19 AM

thanks, read Blake's thread two or three times. After seeing what the egr does to the intake, and seeing what the oil is looking like it HAS got to go. Powertrain issues don't bother me. Being an attorney, I am certain that I can keep them running on an warranty issue as long as I don't change any of the computer parameters, there burden not mine. Plus it won't cost me anything substantial to file lawsuit, companies hate lawsuits. Some parts I will get stuck with on warranty issues, but most of the items that are problematic will be taken care of. My wife insisted on an extended warranty, go figure, going to check to see how they handle aftermarket parts. If they will cover those issues then who cares about Chrysler warranty.

Is this the product your talking about: http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/pr...id=MK21012-BLK

Until I delete the egr, will it still mount as they have pictured.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:55 AM

H&S makes kits for full deletes. I did my full delete for right at under a $1000. I went with a H&S XRT Pro and EGR cooler delete. Then ordered a cat/dpf pipe kit to get rid of that stuff. Most people like the digital gauges of the mini max and other tuner but I am an anolog man so went with the downloader instead. Another good upgrade is a steering brace from Hell Bent Steel. Helps with steering issues if your truck is 4X4. It can be done on a budget just have to do a little at a time.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Lj is my new best friend. A Cummins lovin lawyer who ain't afraid to delete. I'm impressed.

1400 will get you the mini and a turbo back delete. Another couple hundred and you can do full engine deletes. I'd start with the exhaust and mini and go from there.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:39 AM

Ok, looks like I am going to take new 2 diesel's advice and start with a fuel filtration system, looking for reasonable price and install, and preferably from a retailer that takes pay-pal. so this one in an add. Previous
Return to the Product List
Next
Dodge Cummins High Mount Two Filter System
larger image
Dodge Cummins High Mount Two Filter System
$299.00
System #10223 Fits 2010-2012 Cummins Powered Dodge Standard Cab, Quad Cab and Mega Cab pickups ONLY.
If you have a 2003-2009 truck, you need System #10213.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:01 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

You are making an outstanding decision on the fuel filtration addition. No matter what kit you go with, your injectors will love you.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:56 AM

Blake thanks for the compliment. Being a lawyer makes it easier to take chance with warranty claims, especially when the dodge dealer has to deal with your office on a regular basis anyway. I think I am going to go with the xx fuel filter system first.

Looks like it will actually save money on filter changes. Anyone know if I need to reinstall the factory filter cartridge with this system or is best to keep it for additional protection?

Going to get money back on wife's extended warranty and that should cover a lot of my upgrades. I will try to keep this thread going as my upgrades are added, with pics if I can get them to add. I now have a photo bucket account so that should make it easier.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:55 PM

Smile

Ok, so I have been talking with Mark from Glacier, great guy. I was concerned about his system since my EGR system will remain intake for the time being.

Blake, do you keep the stock fuel filter in place with the glacier system, or do you leave the filter cartridge out?

So, long term plan is for fuel filter sytem, S&B intake, H&S mini maxx, dpf delete pipe. Going to go with California delete for now. Fuel filter and S&B within the next two weeks and the remainder this summer when it isn't freezing cold. No garage so I have to do it outside.

Once the performance is improved moving to Carli starter or backcountry system and going to go with 285/75 -17 toyo tires.

Wish everything wasn't so expensive and could do everything all at one time. Once my truck is done, as if that is ever going to happen. I will start modding my wife's mercedes slk. bought her a set of smoked side markers and put in a and k&n filter and she likes the looks and better responsiveness. Then again maybe I should do hers first to sell her on my mods.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
With the Glacier kit the stock filter basically becomes a prefilter. The fuel gets filtered to the stock filter spec then that clean fuel passes through the 2micron Glacier Diesel setup.

When I do my airdog Im gonna bypass the factory setup and go straight into the Glacier setup.

The MK2 kit will fit just fine on a COMPLETELY stock truck. Had it on mine within the 1st 500 miles and on Dads within the first few hundred. His is still 100% stock.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:12 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Unless you just want the looks of the S&B intake, my recommendation is to save your money.

I have personnaly done ZERO testing on this but if you do the research you will notice that the improvement is not worth the $$$.

I modified my factory box to gain similar results.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:59 PM

Do you run factory air filter? I had considered using age conical shaped direct fit airfilter
Old 01-20-2012, 01:32 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

I run a factory filter and chage pretty often. Do to the "Swiss Cheese" modification on my air box and the increased flow the filter gets dirty more ofter.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 AM

Just ordered Dodge Ram MK-2 + Big Line Kit for my truck. Can't wait to get it installed. I will add pictures of the install so if anyone who hasn't installed one can see how to install it. By the way thanks to Richard at GDP, best customer service I have ever experienced. Thanks for all the advice on this upgrade. As soon as I get my mileage reimbursement from work there will be additional upgrades.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:16 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

I do not mean to challenge your intellect, but, make sure you disconnect your batteries when you install the fitting on the CP3. It is part of the Big Line Kit. The CP3 has power on it and if you tap that bad boy with a wrench "KA-BLOW". Not a good idea to mix lightning bolts and fuel.

Why do I know this you ask? UHHH- I saw a friend do it and it was not good.

Quick Reply: where to start with upgrades to improve reliability