4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Tsb 18-041-15

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 03:14 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Tsb 18-041-15

Is there anyone here willing/able to post or PM TSB 18-041-15?

As some of you have read I'm having issues getting the Heated O2 Readiness Monitor to read as ready on my 2015 RAM 3500 Limited. I took it to the dealer a second time (first time said to drive it more) and they did this particular TSB and said to start the drive cycle all over again.

Hooked up the reader and sure enough, nothing was "ready" but after driving a couple days all but Catalyst and Heated O2 are ready.

I'd like to read what the TSB was supposed to do. I had almost 2500 miles on it when I brought it to the dealer and have put on almost 400 miles in the week since then.

Additionally, if anybody knows of the proper "Drive Cycle" for this vehicle, I would appreciate if you would share. I've driven several cycles from what I've found for other vehicles on the net.

Thanks,
Old 06-08-2015, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It took me nearly 500 miles and over a week last time I cleared all my codes to prepare for emissions testing. Also (and I don't recall exactly which monitors), the truck passed just fine with two of the monitors NOT in a ready state. I commute 65 miles round trip daily and added a 200 mile freeway cruise before I attempted the emissions test.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:00 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I had to drive almost 1000 miles before monitor ran. Some take three REGEN's before they will run the monitor. I have learned not to do any flashes until the vehicle passes smog test.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:59 AM
FMB

Originally Posted by Beast2B
the truck passed just fine with two of the monitors NOT in a ready state.
What? Two monitors not in the ready state? I see you are in Sac, I'm next door in Solano County. I was told by the smog shop it wouldn't pass smog because one of the monitors wasn't in the 'ready'. It was just the heated O2 then, now it is the Heated O2 and the Cat (had an update which un-readied everything).

Is this a county by county thing (passing without monitors being ready)? I put on over 2400 miles before the update and over 400 since.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:44 AM

Maybe it was one. I don't remember exactly, but I was told you could have a monitor not ready as long as there were no codes present. maybe a search of the CARB would yield something.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:52 AM

Here's a link I found. I don't have time to peruse right now, but maybe someone is more familiar...
On-Road Light-Duty Emissions Certification Requirements
Old 06-11-2015, 07:09 PM
FMB

Thanks, Beast. I looked at one document that was 150 pages long and it's been some time since I have been reading regulations, so I called the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair and spoke with a guy there. There is a place on their page that states one or more monitors may be allowed to not be Ready, depending on the vehicle, but no link to vehicles and what is what.

So, he spent some time with me and looked up the regs on how many monitors may not yet be in the "ready" and still pass for my truck. He said 2 of the listed monitors may not be ready and still pass, BUT, the Heated O2 Monitor isn't one of them. He said that one should be ready within 25-50 miles of steady driving.

He suggested bringing it back to the dealer and let them monitor the engine and see what is out of spec. He said if they also do Smog Checks, to give it to them and tell them to give it back after it passes. I don't want them to put 500 miles on the truck trying to pass it though. I'll go there and chat with them tomorrow.

Again, thanks,
Old 06-11-2015, 10:01 PM
Cummins Guru

Like I said before almost 1000 miles of driven must be done before the monitor will run after a flash update, or 2 complete regens and monitor will run on the 3rd regen.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:41 AM
FMB

OK, Big, I'll try to be more patient. I just went out and checked the odometer and it is sitting at 3205 miles which is 800 since the update. I do have a REGEN question though. I have never seen any message about being in regen and I have driven lots and lots of freeway miles (comparatively). Is it just not ready for a regen yet or am I missing something? Anything different about the '15s?

Guess I'll take my first wife up to see her sister this weekend. That will put on about 300 miles and most of it will be freeway.

Back to morning Coffee, and thanks.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by FMB
OK, Big, I'll try to be more patient. I just went out and checked the odometer and it is sitting at 3205 miles which is 800 since the update. I do have a REGEN question though. I have never seen any message about being in regen and I have driven lots and lots of freeway miles (comparatively). Is it just not ready for a regen yet or am I missing something? Anything different about the '15s?

Guess I'll take my first wife up to see her sister this weekend. That will put on about 300 miles and most of it will be freeway.

Back to morning Coffee, and thanks.
Any update?
Old 06-25-2015, 01:40 AM
Cummins Guru

Mileage will drop a little when in REGEN mode and unless you are using Edge CTS2 module to monitor exhaust temps and other engine sensors that you may want to monitor such as boost pressure or IAT.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:26 PM
FMB

Update

When I last went to the DMV, I got a temp registration through the end of July. I figure after putting on another 1500 after the TSB I would go to a Smog shop and have them go ahead and fail the truck if the Heated O2 Readiness Monitor was still not set and that would give me something to bring to the dealer to have them look at the truck and fix whatever was not working right and still have time to put miles on before the end of July.

So, drove up to the Peppermill to pay my Nevada State Taxes and see the Reno Rodeo. There and back, ~ 360 miles and a 7,000' elevation change over the hill. I checked with the reader there and when I returned and the monitor was still flashing.

So, off to the Smog shop this morning. The guy that I talked to was the elder of the two techs and seemed more knowledgeable. I told him of the issue I was having and I was expecting a fail so I can take the paperwork..... yada yada yada.

He came back after the test and said the truck passed. Past? I checked it yesterday and the Heated O2 Readiness Monitor was still flashing. It must have just set. He said "No, that truck doesn't have heated O2 sensors".

Hmmmmm..... so the first guy that just used the generic reader for the pre-test didn't know that and just told me the truck would not pass? I drove all those extra miles for the thrill of driving a BSN truck? The dealer didn't know it doesn't have heated O2 Sensors? Maybe it has, but the truck passed anyway? (not likely since the guy at the BAR said a vehicle can't pass if that particular monitor is not 'ready')

I don't know the answer other than I can now get plates on the truck. Maybe someone from here has "the book" and can tell if there is a Heated O2 Readiness Monitor or not.
Thanks all for your help, back to my evening coffee.