4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck developes light shake at highway speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck developes light shake at highway speed

I have a 2013 ram 2500 4 x 4. Once I get to about 60 miles an hour the truck starts a light shake. It does not feel like death Wobble. I had the steering stabilizer shock checked out and it was OK. They did say my ball joints were wearing but we're not totally wore out.

What bothers me is I had it in the shop in the moment I took it on the highway and had to shake that it did not have when I took it in. They did a new seal on my front and rear axle or the driveshaft a what bothers me is I had it in the shop in the moment I took it on the highway and had to shake that it did not have when I took it in. They did a new seal on my front and rear axle Where the drive shafts go into. I asked them to double check the work they did and said it was all fine.

Would worn ball joints cause this shake or does it sound like a track bar?

Any ideas are much appreciated
Old 10-19-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Most likely is something that is rotating. Does it go away at higher speeds? My guess (in order of likelihood) would be tires out of balance, bad drive-line ujoints, bad front axle ujoints, wheel bearings. Never had worn balljoints or a trackbar cause shaking. These 4th gen balljoints are bomber anyway. Don't believe the shop, check them yourself.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:14 PM

I feel it's a rotating issue too. It is fine at lower speeds but it starts right at 60. And it will come and go at that speed. I am just shocked they are saying it is nothing they worked on. It went from normal driving to them working on it and then the truck shaking.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Check the wheel nuts for tightness then check to see if there are any missing wheel weights. also if they didn't mark where each wheel came from they may have mixed a front with a rear and it may have been out of balance just on the rear you wouldn't notice it as much.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:47 PM

Fought this for months and months and months.

Did tires, wheel bearings, and other misc stuff. The passenger seat shook pretty good.

Ultimately, the aluminium driveshaft weight welder Chrysler uses is ****. One weight fell off, they replaced the driveshaft. Wouldnt refund anything for the other misdiagnostics =(