4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

P2915 o2 Sensor Lingering Issue

Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P2915 o2 Sensor Lingering Issue

More of a lurker here, read posts, but seldom have posted.

My truck is a 2011 3500 6.7, Auto, Dodge Diesel, Dually, Laramie, 4-Door, 8’box. Took delivery Feb 15, 2011.

Over the life of the truck, it has had “O2 Sensor” issues, fairly often. Lately within the last few months, the Check Engine Light has become a permanent light and the dealer is grasping at straws how to fix it.

I am getting tired of being on a first name basis with the dealer, as well as the ever increasing poor fuel mileage because of the “Check Engine” light. The dealer is telling me he is taking directions from Chrysler to fix this, but I am surprised the mother ship cannot figure this out. Certainly this isn’t the only truck that has experienced this? Or has it?

A little history over the last 2-years, or at least what receipts I found today. And I know this is not complete, but...

2-27-12, Recall L-16, 20063 miles
6-25-11, Reflash Computer RRT12-018, 28357 miles
7-19-12, P0054, P0141 Downstream O2 Sensors replaced, 28575 miles
11-14-12, P0141, Bank 1, Sensor 2 Replaced, 33292 miles
3-12-13, TSB#25-004-13, Sensor 1 and sensor 2 replaced. 41050 miles
3-25-13, codes P0132, P2271, Flashed PCM, replaced both sensors, 42226 miles Lasted 18-miles before check engine light came on again.
4-9-13, replaced “Oxygen Sensor Module”, per service writer.
4-9-13, 25-miles later, my Mac Tools Scanner shows code P2195.

Today it has 43137 miles and light is glowing brightly. Any idea what is causing this? Anybody else experience this?

Gary
Old 04-15-2013, 01:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You are still covered by the emissions warranty, I'd do some research and take it to another dealer in your area who knows their stuff.

My only experience is with the P241A code, the dealer replaced the sensor, MIL disappeared. Haven't had another since. Also got a re-flash at the same time, about a year ago. MPGs and power seemed to improve.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Located in the engine intake horn on the rear side is a pressure/temp sensor that is held in place with a single torx screw, remove the sensor and have a look see what condition it's in. I think it will be self explanatory when you see it. You don't say where you are located?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:26 PM

How's your oil looking? Have you had it tested to see how much fuel might be in there?

The reason I'm asking is because if you have a leaky injector, it could cause your O2 sensor to keep setting off because you might be running rich. And if you do have a leaky injector, I would think it would show up in your oil as high fuel dilution.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 AM

Yesterday I called Chrysler Customer Service. Was promised a call back by somebody, but did not.

Local Dealer did call, Chrysler talked with them reviewed what has been done. Tomorrow it's going back in to apply the TSB-25-004-13 to the new 02 Sensor Module that was installed. This TSB was already done to the 02 sensors, but not the module.

I have not tested the oil for fuel dilution. I'll ask the Dealer to check the injectors. I have been very religious about changing the fuel filters with each oil change to not have problems with injectors. I'll see if they can test.

I'll post what happens tomorrow.

Gb
Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gbozz
Yesterday I called Chrysler Customer Service. Was promised a call back by somebody, but did not.

Local Dealer did call, Chrysler talked with them reviewed what has been done. Tomorrow it's going back in to apply the TSB-25-004-13 to the new 02 Sensor Module that was installed. This TSB was already done to the 02 sensors, but not the module.

I have not tested the oil for fuel dilution. I'll ask the Dealer to check the injectors. I have been very religious about changing the fuel filters with each oil change to not have problems with injectors. I'll see if they can test.

I'll post what happens tomorrow.

Gb
the fuel dilution they will claim is normal...which is bs... been dealing with fuel dilution issue, and they refuse to fix anything on it for it. mine has almost 40k on it...
Old 04-16-2013, 11:19 AM

I change oil every 5,000-miles because of that. Change oil filter and fuel filter with it.

I disconnected the batteries yesterday afternoon, reconnected them this morning. Within 5-seconds the check engine light came on.

So, somethings up!

Gary
Old 04-18-2013, 07:24 AM

Just an update. Dealer checked the injectors, said they sow ok. Dealer did the new connector TSB on the 02 module yesterday. Within a 5-mile drive, it has set codes P241A, P2BAC and P2A00. Dealer has kept the truck another day. See if they make progress today.
Gary
Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 PM

I got my truck back today, after being at the dealer for 2-weeks. Thought I would post a note to tell final outcome. Long conversation with the Dodge Dealer Tech today, here is what I got out of it.

Ram (Chrysler) to save a few pennies per vehicle, reduced the wire size on the Oxygen sensor circuit from 20-ga to 22-ga wire. They kept the 20-ga wire ends and crimping process, using 22-Ga wire. This has resulted in loose connections and incorrect reading of the oxygen sensors. The new wire harnesses are to correct this issue. The dealer tech installed the new harness, spliced the wires by wrapping them together, soldering and heat shrink tubing over them.

Cummins Rep finally got involved (Thank You, Thank You, Thank You) and finally determined the soldering of the connections caused to much resistance, resulting in the front and rear sensors being well outside the 4% range. Dealer Tech ordered new harnesses, re-installed with twisting wires together, crimping, and heat shrink tubing over the splice. This got the sensor within the 4% range, but barely. Dealer Tech further unwrapped the exisiting harness and found other loose connections, re-did those. The tech kept the truck over the weekend, drove it as if was his personal truck (with my permission) and he said the sensors stayed within 0.5% all weekend. He called me this morning and said it was fixed.

Driving the truck today, I have noticed it runs much better and fuel mileage has gone from 12-mpg to over 16-mpg on the Interstate. Tomorrow I'll run about 500-miles with my trailer, we will see how the ole dog does... So far, so good though.

Just a FYI.

And thank you again Cummins for getting involved and getting it fixed. Greatly Appreciated!

Gary
Old 04-30-2013, 02:20 PM

Thanks for posting. Will be great info to have archived here on the forum. Bound to be a problem with other trucks out there.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Save a couple of pennies and pass a problem down to the end user. Seems typical of todays corporate standards.

At least you were able to get it fixed properly, so we hope.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:52 PM

Final post...

Hooked up my 20' enclosed car trailer, with a car inside and delivered it to Fort Wayne, IN. The truck would not hold speed with the cruise control engaged. If I set the cruise at 65 mph, it would slow down to 58 or 59 the kick down a gear and speed up. No power at all.

After talking with the dealership, they think the "flashes" Chrysler recommended reduced fuel flow, which resulted in less power. Would not pull a 6,000 to 7,000 pound trailer now. Before all this started, I could set the cruise and go over mountain tops and never slow down a bit.

After a few more days of frustration, arguing, I visited my Chevy dealer. A new Duramax is in the driveway. Trailer is hooked up, loaded, ready for it's first run tomorrow. Initial impression is much better than Ram.

Chrysler has lost a long time Cummins customer. Good bye all.

Gary
Old 05-06-2013, 01:57 PM

Ouch. I guess your truck is somebody else's problem now.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 PM

I hope this is not a sign of things to come for me. I have a 2011 2500 and I am starting to have the same issue as Gbozz. First repair was a reflash. The second was a O2 module connector repair/replacement. Did not make it 4 miles before the light reappeared. Now it is going in for O2 sesnor connector repair/replacement.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 603
I hope this is not a sign of things to come for me. I have a 2011 2500 and I am starting to have the same issue as Gbozz. First repair was a reflash. The second was a O2 module connector repair/replacement. Did not make it 4 miles before the light reappeared. Now it is going in for O2 sesnor connector repair/replacement.
Just wondering what area of the world you live in and the type of driving you do, these things have everything to do with owning a 2010-2012 dodge diesel, the OP is better off with anything else other than a dodge diesel truck if he was having these problems already and can't or won't delete it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P2915 o2 Sensor Lingering Issue