4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

P2915 o2 Sensor Lingering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in Western PA. But that is not the only place the truck is used. I have made more than one trip out west (Arizona) with it so where it and I live could be somewhat subjective I guess.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:21 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
It seems that as long as the engine is worked hard from day one and you don't idle it you have somewhat of a chance but factor in cold climate, manual transmission, and idling, you have next to no chance to make the truck work as designed. People feel sorry that we lost our warranty because we deleted but at least the truck operates really well, I feel sorry for those that can't delete and are having problems.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 PM

Well, I am beginning to think that Gbozz's solution for his issue may become mine as well. I was given an update on my trucks status earlier toady and needless to say it ain't fixxed yet. I am hopeful that it will be resolved soon but I am starting to have my doubts.

The tech that is working on the truck is someone that I know really well and I am quite confident in his abilities to make the repairs. My concern is with Chrysler/Ram giving him the information needed to make an effective repair. We'll see what tomorrow brings but I am not holdong my breath.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:12 AM

I guess that time and milage will tell but I had picked up my truck from the dealer about two weeks ago. The repairs to this point have been,
1) Install software update into the PCM
2) Install O2 module connector and replace a number of terminals in that connector
3) Replace the connectors on the vehicle harness for the O2 sensors
4) Replace O2 sensors
I have not used the truck too much since the last repair but it did go on a 500 mile trip on Sunday towing a 7000 lb. trailer and the check engine light has not returned, yet. At this point I am willing to give the truck another chance. I do not want to part ways with it. My 97 will break 207K this week and I am hoping to get that much out of my 2011. I guess time and milage will tell.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
603 The vendor that made these harnesses used the wrong gauge wire for the O2 sensors. I have also seen bad splices in the J1939 data link wiring to the smart O2 module also. If you are getting U010C or U011A then I would suspect the data link wire splice.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:00 PM

BigIron, thanks for the information. I have put about 1300 miles on the truck and at this point the light has not returned. Hopefully they covered all the bases during my last repair visit.

I am not new to this type of thing. I had spent along time (30 years) in the automotive business as a tech. The last 19 working in a GM shop. The one thing that I found is that there always is a way to repair the vehicle back to the way it was when it rolled off the line, plus any "approved"updates.

What can become interesting is when the repairs come from outside sources, as in the aftermarket or what someone has stumbled on in their garage. That being said I will just wait and see if this thing sets another code or not. Then go from that point. The way I see it they still own this thing as far as warranty is concerned and I will just keep playing their game if need be.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Cummins Guru

I agree 603, Chrysler engineers seem to realize these problems much later then sooner. It sometimes takes a tech in the shop to figure out what is causing the problem. Wiring harness is not a place to try and cut costs by Chrysler by going with the vendor that can make the part for the cheapest price. The gauge of wire used should have been red flag for Chrysler engineers but it just went right by them.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:29 AM

2012 3500 dually.

I am having the same issues with mine, been to three different dealers across the country while I was pulling my 12,000lb fifth wheel home from a job in ND. Sounds like all the same things have been done, change connector ends, flash the computor twice still the light came on within an hour. I agree that they dont like idling and its odd that this seems to happen about 20,000 miles or so.Been at the dealer for two days now and they are replacing the 02 sensors, aside from that no real difinative answers. I am considering a delete kit and an airaid intake, any suggestions for my 2012?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:13 AM

My 11 had an O2 sensor issue early on (15k miles maybe?). Replaced module and harness from O2 sensors back up into engine bay. Aside from a connector not being fully seated for an immediate return to the dealer, I have been 'knock on wood' code free to my 65k I'm at now...
Old 12-10-2013, 08:43 AM

2012 dually

Bnold, thanks for the reply. There may be hope yet, two of the dealers who worked on my truck first were from your state, one in Amarillo and one just outside of Beaumount. They were helpful in trying to take care of the issue, the dealer in Amarillo couldnt get it in that day I was passing thru but did plug it in and pulled the codes for me which identified the 02 sensor and knock sensor also thats where I learned about this connector/harness issue. A couple days later I found a dealer just outside Beaumont that could get it in the next day for the updates and connector issue, they had it for maybe 4-5 hours and took it for a test drive to confirm it was fixed but a couple hous later it came back on and I was already hiched up with my camper and heading east so I couldnt get it back to them. Hopefully it works out, this is my first Dodge, always been a GM guy but I really liked the dodge and not having to use DEF fluid and the Cummins engine swayed me into buying it.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:13 PM

Same thing starting to happen with mine...

Just hit 36,000 on my 2012 Ram 2500 w/CTD and check engine light came on with the dreaded P241A code. It has been in the shop a full day now and it sounds like they have a very lengthy protocol to follow in order to diagnose and fix (hopefully) the problem. So far, they say they have replaced connectors to the oxygen sensors and are road testing. Once the road test results are back they will determine if new sensors are warranted. I hope this doesn't become the recurring problem that others have posted!
Old 03-31-2014, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the dreaded O2 codes every 5000km on my truck. I went through a dpf at my cost. Eventually they replaced the O2 sensor controller, numerous O2 sensors and the problem was still there.
Finally they did the last O2 recall which replaced the sensor with brass contacts and proper sized wiring and I have had close to 30,000 km with no check engine light related to the O2 sensors since.

They have tr proper fix but just Nickle and dime it along.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:15 AM

Back on the road

Just a follow up on my O2 sensor (P241A) issue. Dealer had the truck for a day and a half. They said there is a lengthy protocol that hey have to follow for this particular code. The first thing is to replace the connectors on both the front and rear. Then they had to test drive my truck for almost 90 miles! If no codes reappear, they stop there. In my case, that seems to have resolved the issue, for now. If the code comes back, he said the next step would be sensor replacement. I asked him about the wiring and the wire gauge issue and he seemed in the dark about that. Maybe my 2012 doesn't have that issue?
Old 03-31-2014, 01:42 PM

Just curious if Dodge has anymore on this code. My 2011 Dodge 3500 has a check engine light, and they reflashed the module. Within 10 miles light came back on, now they want to change the O2 Sensor Module, not a thing about checking wiring etc.... oh and I am 4K past my 50K warranty.... of course. The service manager when I questioned him on this, well was less than happy with me.. how dare I question what he wants to do. Looking at going to another dealership but its a pretty good drive away.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:42 PM
Cummins Guru

you are still under warranty. They will need to do SB 25-004-13, SB 25-003-13, SB 18-012-12 REV. A, Then if code return after doing O2 relearn replace O2 sensors and module. Ask me how I know.

Quick Reply: P2915 o2 Sensor Lingering Issue