4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need some recomendations for new truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some recomendations for new truck

Hi guys and gals.

Making the arrangements on purchasing a new 2012 Ram 3500 and looking for some advice as to what I should have, and what I should stay away from.

One question I have right now. Is can the maps in the Garmin Navigation system be upgraded? If they can't I might as well buy and aftermarket instead of wasting the money on the built in version.

Has anyone use an OBD code scanner with Bluetooth output and a smart phone to monitor the truck?

The model I am looking at is a SLT/ Crew Cab/ 8 foot box/ single wheel/ Cummings with automatic.

I am not going to let a couple thousand dollars kill a deal, but I don't want to buy something I can get a better deal through aftermarket.

Thanks
Terry
Old 09-12-2012, 01:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't sweat it- you'll enjoy the truck either way. I thought only Laramies had Nav? Tells you what I know...
Old 09-12-2012, 01:21 PM

I know the new autos are getting better, but I just can't do it. The ease of tuning the new stuff makes it just too tempting, and the ability to murder an auto is right at your fingertips. I've got to suggest avoiding the auto trans.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:48 PM

I did a LOT of research before buying our 2012 3500. I had one question before I bought that was answered here. I think I should pay it back, at least with what I can...

Built in NAV will be outdated in 6 months. Aftermarket is the way to go. You figure a GOOD gps will cost you $500 and you can integrate your phone, email, satellite radio, everything thru it. Maps should be update-able for the life of the truck. NAV in the Dodge is WAY more and not near as capable.

The majority of add-ons thru a dealer are the same. I went with an ST because we have had the fancy trucks before and still have one from Ford we drive every day and we don't really use all the bells and whistles.

No experience with the OBD port to monitor the engine. IMHO, these trucks have all the power you'll ever need and if you keep it stock, Dodge put everything you need in it already.

The trans was supposedly developed to be able to handle all the power the Cummins could throw at it. If I have a choice I'll never change another gear again. Ever. Plus I got an extended warranty.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by jstone44720
I know the new autos are getting better, but I just can't do it. The ease of tuning the new stuff makes it just too tempting, and the ability to murder an auto is right at your fingertips. I've got to suggest avoiding the auto trans.
I prefer a manual as well, but my wife will be doing some of the driving and she not so much. We are going to be putting a camper on this buggy and touring around between the US and Canada for a few years trying to stay in the good weather.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by 10-95
I did a LOT of research before buying our 2012 3500. I had one question before I bought that was answered here. I think I should pay it back, at least with what I can...

Built in NAV will be outdated in 6 months. Aftermarket is the way to go. You figure a GOOD gps will cost you $500 and you can integrate your phone, email, satellite radio, everything thru it. Maps should be update-able for the life of the truck. NAV in the Dodge is WAY more and not near as capable.

The majority of add-ons thru a dealer are the same. I went with an ST because we have had the fancy trucks before and still have one from Ford we drive every day and we don't really use all the bells and whistles.

No experience with the OBD port to monitor the engine. IMHO, these trucks have all the power you'll ever need and if you keep it stock, Dodge put everything you need in it already.

The trans was supposedly developed to be able to handle all the power the Cummins could throw at it. If I have a choice I'll never change another gear again. Ever. Plus I got an extended warranty.
Thanks 10-95 I am getting the same opinion and think I will skip the built in and buy an aftermarket Garmin.

I have to go with the SLT to get the toys I want.

As for the auto trans I will be putting extended warranty on it. My first Dodge, a 97 with a 12 valve, had a standard in it and in 520,000 km the only thing I had to do to it was replace the clutch. Still driving it. I also had a 2006 that I could not complain about so I am hoping this truck will be as good.

What I want the OBD port monitor for is to keep track of the information the on-board computer collects. There is a Bluetooth version for less than $20 that has smart phone apps that will allow you to display and track most of the sensors. The computer version is suppose to be able to calculate the torque, show boost pressure, all liquid temperatures plus a bunch more. Seems a lot cheaper than buying all those aftermarket gauges. In reality I suppose it is just a toy, but my wife thinks it is needed.

This will be my last truck so I want it to be decent and I need something to play with.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I will agree. Aftermarket nav is cheaper and easily update-able.

But I wanted a Laramie, and it came with the Garmin setup, and, I have liked it.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:15 AM
The Guru

The dodge fob (key) set-up is junk. I have one that doesn't work anymore. Can't unlock the doors or start the truck. My second fob is start to go the same way. I talked to dodge, they want $200 for a new fob and another $100 to program it. The remote start isn't that great either in comparison to an aftermarket set-up.

I would do a delete on the truck, if you want no engine issues during ownership.

I don't like the operator lock out on the nav when the truck is in operation. I don't know why someone thought this was a good idea, as that's when you really need to use the nav system. I run a garmin nav dash unit in my older truck and prefer it to the dodge nav system.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:21 AM

Hi

A little update on this post.

I ordered a new truck about a month ago. Hope to have it by the first part of December, or not. It seems they are running flat out to get as many 2012's out before the end of the year.

I wish I had it now. We just got our first dump of snow, about 12 inches, and the first thing I did was get the car stuck. The temp was below -15C for the last few days and I don't have the plow on the bike yet so the driveway didn't get plowed.. Ended up starting the 97 so I could use the 4 X 4 to get out. Once I get the new truck the car will go away for the winter.

The dealer told me these new trucks will start down to -40 without being plugged in. I will believe that when it happens.

I went with a 4 X 4 SLT model, crew cab with an eight foot box. I think about the only things I didn't get was the on-board NAV and the cigarette lighter. I will pick up a Garmin GPS and no one smokes in my truck so I didn't think I would need ether of them.

Now all I have to do is find a box cover and a camper for it. I am planning on driving down to Arizona in February so I might find a better deal down that way.

Thank for the info
Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Congrats on the new truck. When I saw your first post I meant to reply but obviously I didn't, must have got called away, so I'll just give you the positives. My son works all over the North with his 2011 slt 4X4 SRW long box and loves it. He uses Amsoil full synthetic 5W40, he says his truck has always started and he never plugs it in. He wishes he would have got the factory Bluetooth he's on his third aftermarket one and hasn't liked any of them compared to mine even though the first one was installed by the dealer. I think the biggest plus of the Auto over the manual is the high idle feature, the heated seats and wheel are a bonus when it's cold.

One thing you should do is the cabin filter mod, it will keep the inside of your truck clean on the gravel. Don't wait to do the mod and buy some spare filters if you do a lot of gravel in the summer, NAPA is the cheapest here $18 for the NAPA 4578. The cover you get from the dealer. Here is a link to the thread for the part number https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d-t284729.html
Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jockybox
The dealer told me these new trucks will start down to -40 without being plugged in. I will believe that when it happens.
Of course, goes without saying that it's better for the engine if you don't. I plug mine in whenever it's below freezing (have an outlet at work in the parking lot, it says it's for EVs- haven't seen any use it yet ). Figure it's better for the engine, and the instant heat it real nice. Oh, and the manual calls for synthetic below 0°F.

Also, don't let it idle a lot (unless you do the deletes) as the emissions system allows fuel to get into the oil.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I just noticed a post on that cabin filter mod thread and I had forgotten about the home made washable filter described near the end of the thread, that is definitely what my son needs and perhaps might be best for you too.