4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Help me decide if I'm crazy or not

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me decide if I'm crazy or not

So I've been going back and forth on wether to buy a new truck. My current truck is pretty set up as you can see in my signature. I've never thrown a code, never been stranded, it's been a great truck. It's getting a few miles on it, plenty to go I'm sure, but I'm at the point that I either sell it now while I can get something for it, or run it into the ground, knowing that in the next hundred thousand miles I'll need to put some more money into it. Help me out, do any of you really regret selling your 3rd gen if you did? Or, are modern conveniences of the new trucks so nice that they outweigh all of the emissions, code throwing, soot contaminating downsides of the new rigs?
Old 03-19-2014, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im on the same fence One Way.I'd love a new truck,but i have no time or patience for codes ,lights ,filters whatever,and theres no dealer any where close to where i work so if something happens it's a pain to get it to the dealer.My 05 has been the best truck i have owned .And its the only vehicle i have had as long as i have had it.be 10yrs old this year and i ordered it new when i worked at the dealer.ugh.Is it worth getting rid of and going new?hmmmm
Old 03-19-2014, 06:49 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I miss my 3rd Gen a lot. although the creature features of the new ones is VERY nice, dealing with the E Terrorisd Agenzy and risking the dreaded deletes is harder to do with the crackdown. i can honestly say that my 4th Gen has only seen the dealer a couple of times for warranty

1. shift shaft seal leaking (when it was an automatic tranny)
2. cruise control switch bugged out one time (had dealer replace it)
3. updated entertainment module (IPOD was freaking out so we just tried something)
4. newer front steering recall (and now they recalled the recall cause they are still breaking)

windshield washer tank leaked so I bought the recall part (only recalled on 2010 models and not newer even though it was same part # ) so that was a $10 fix

I do all my own maintenance (all but oil changes cause the dealer has a special $175 for diesels which includes 3 oil changes and 3 tire rotations and full inspections at each visit)

I do however miss having a megacab that was nearly 9 feet tall and not having to deal with the e. terrorisd agenzy
Old 03-19-2014, 07:37 PM

Cbrah's, you swapped the auto for the G56? Was that a dealer warranty thing or just your choice? Auto was that bad huh?
Old 03-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by One Way
Cbrah's, you swapped the auto for the G56? Was that a dealer warranty thing or just your choice? Auto was that bad huh?
well long story short my custom tuner in east texas wanted an auto to beat on and push to the limits to see where a stock auto will fail to further help his customers. I wanted a manual due to the pulling I do now and we decided to trade.

mine- 2011 CC dually (was a single and converted to a dually) with bone stock auto
his- 2012 single cab long bed with a FULL Gorilla 56 with torque shield and SBDD3250 clutch

it sure has been an ordeal but we were able and the first ones in the US (as far as we know and also speaking with many aftermarket tranny guys) to make the swap from manual to auto. many have gone auto to manual thats the easy part. Making the TIPM work is a dirty 4 letter word and a lot of them. next issue we had is 2012 and newer have a borg warner t-case. 2011 and older is NV. SOOOOO, after staring at wiring diagrams for HOURS we repinned 2 wires in connector C-130 on the 2012 and now his works with the NV case. Mine however, I need to run 2 wires from the drivetrain control module to the C-130 connector on the firewall. a quick re-initialize of the ABS system to kill the abs light and flash the ECM with the manual software and bam. I even kept the factory Laramie center console. just had to massage a hole in it for the shifter. I am fabbing a metal plate to go around the hole with dzus fasteners and a buddy of mine who owns a SICK upholstery shop is going to wrap the plate in dark brown leather to match the interior. Even was able to keep the cup holder and large storage pocket. will post pics once it is all done.

Lucus has put that auto thru hell and back and thats NO JOKE! He has a S476 single and has put down over 700 to the ground. at first we detuned the truck big time and added power as we went. went to the max of what the engine could do so now have big sticks and dual cp3. dang thing is still holding in there without slipping but shouldnt last too much longer lol . He has a FULL built 68 sitting in the shop to do the swap right away but being able to throw what he can at this bone stock auto and it holding up to boosted launches and a very heavy foot is amazing.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Chapter President

oh and now have 100375 miles on it and it turned 3 years old on February 27th
Old 03-20-2014, 01:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I went 3rd gen-4th gen- 3rd gen. Not because I didn't like my 4th gen, it was a great truck, but rather for economic reasons. I believe the newer ones (2013+) have addressed many of the shortcomings of the 2010-1012s, like poor mpgs & short oil change intervals*. That's not to say the 2010-2012 are bad trucks, their advantages outweigh their drawbacks compared to a 3rd gen in my opinion: availability of a true Crew-cab long bed, exhaust brake, ride, creature comforts and the modern, reliable 6 speed auto tranny among them. I will be getting back into one someday, but my current truck (2006) meets my needs just fine for now.

*Edit: easily fixed with deletes.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:13 PM

I have only had my 14 for 3 weeks.. I really like this truck. Chrysler has done a good job getting their previous underachieving of fit and finish up to par. I will chime in later to report more, but so far so good.

I did just install a new bumper, Bilstiens, 20's and 295 Toyo MT's and the ride just got 2x better. I cannot believe how much better this truck rides from when it was stock. Are Bilstiens that good for these trucks or are MOPAR's just junk?

Here are a few pictures just after my install and the test drive.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-20-2014, 09:56 PM

not crazy

I would say you're not crazy...but whether you upgrade or not totally depends on you.

I'm trading in my 2010 mega 2500 for a 2014 mega 3500 srw. Now, I might be crazy (or stupid), but my main reason for trading is I wanted the Aisin and my current 68rfe feels a little ... soft... It doesn't seem to shift quite right. So, I wanted to trade in befrore I have to spend $6k on a new transmission. Plus, after driving one...wow...I can't wait to go on a long trip.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Scott, that's a nice lookin truck. Exactly the setup I'm looking at as far as body, color and the aftermarket bumper lift etc. Looks like my current truck only newer, and nicer! Just looking at that makes me want to pull the trigger on a new one.

What lift/ level kit did you do on your truck Scott? I take it it's the new 3 point front suspension, was curious if you installed how that went. I heard the shocks are out of the coil now, that'll be a lot easier. Is it a 3/4 or 1 ton? What suspension for the rear did yours come with?
Old 03-21-2014, 12:00 AM

Novak, was the Aisin really that different feeling? It almost sounds like it's too good to be true, I've heard so much hype about it, hopefully it lives up to its reputation. It had better be good, because if I get it, this will be my first auto tranny in any vehicle that I have ever owned!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Scott, that's a nice lookin truck. Exactly the setup I'm looking at as far as body, color and the aftermarket bumper lift etc. Looks like my current truck only newer, and nicer! Just looking at that makes me want to pull the trigger on a new one.

What lift/ level kit did you do on your truck Scott? I take it it's the new 3 point front suspension, was curious if you installed how that went. I heard the shocks are out of the coil now, that'll be a lot easier. Is it a 3/4 or 1 ton? What suspension for the rear did yours come with?
Thx. I think it turned out good. I was hesitant on the 20's, but the stance is just right for me. It's a 3500.

Shocks are outside of coil, just like the Fords. There are no suspension kits that I am aware of yet. Heck there weren't any Bilstien skews yet, but my local diesel guy did some research and found what would work. For now it's just a spacer and Bilstiens. I have a Carli system on my 03 and the 14 rides better just with some shocks.

Like others have said, it's up to you and your situation. After 11 years I felt it was time and I am glad I pulled the trigger.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:56 AM

Novak, was the Aisin really that different feeling? It almost sounds like it's too good to be true, I've heard so much hype about it, hopefully it lives up to its reputation. It had better be good, because if I get it, this will be my first auto tranny in any vehicle that I have ever owned!
Go drive one....after all, the only opinion which really matters is yours (No sarcasm intended). It is a good fit for me...that does not mean it is a good fit for you. I really believe there is not a "wrong" answer here....

One thing to note is the aisin gears for 1, 2 and 3 are a little taller than the 68rfe gears for 1, 2, and 3. 4, 5, and 6 they are nearly identical.

Found this on another forum. Note I did not research this myself...this is only what somebody else posted....

Aisin gear ratios:
First gear: 3.74
Second gear: 2.00
Third gear: 1.34
Fourth gear: 1.00
Fifth gear: 0.77
Sixth gear: 0.63

68RFE: Gear Ratios:
1st 3.23:1
2nd 1.83:1
3rd 1.41:1
4th 1.00:1
5th 0.81:1
6th 0.62:1
Old 03-21-2014, 01:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jnovak

Aisin gear ratios:
First gear: 3.74
Second gear: 2.00
Third gear: 1.34
Fourth gear: 1.00
Fifth gear: 0.77
Sixth gear: 0.63

68RFE: Gear Ratios:
1st 3.23:1
2nd 1.83:1
3rd 1.41:1
4th 1.00:1
5th 0.81:1
6th 0.62:1
I'm still scratching my head on this one. Why, if the gearing is taller, did they put a higher geared rear-end on the Aisin trucks AND taller (stock) tires?? Final drive in 1-3 gears must be really high.

I guess 4-Low is a must for maneuvering trailers around.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:38 PM

I regret getting rid of my 2nd gen just because I traded it in and wish I could have kept it for playing around with on the weekends or hot rodding. Other than that I love, love, love my 2013.

Bought it just before Thanksgiving 2013 and up to today I have put on 16, 600 miles. Have been to Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri and a few miles from South Dakota. Have been on some of the worst roads ever traveled on (Illinois) to some of the best. Been thru snow and ice covered roads for days on end, towed a trailer thru the same roads. I like the creature comforts, I like how quiet the truck is, inside and out. Perhaps I have outgrown the loud, clickety noise of the 2002. Full crew cab, full 4 doors is better than the 2002 regular cab. Back seat will easily accommodate 2 large totes full of electronic/gear, cold weather gear, a suitcase, tv, printer, and a few other items. Storage underneath the rear seat don't look like much but I have levels, replacement lenses, welding gloves, layout tools for pipe, torch handle and heads and more.

With my bed on, welder, toolboxes, tanks, reels, hoses, extension cords, jacks all ready to work it tops out around 13,500 pounds and will average around 11mpg. Still doing my DEF calculations but at the moment I am at 3/4 of a tank on the DEF and have traveled a tick over 1300 miles. Wish I could get that kind of mileage out of the diesel fuel. I like not rowing the gears as I get stuck in traffic and was growing tired of that whole situation after years and years. The Aisin is awesome, shifts a bit weird for a little while when you first start driving on cold mornings, ok, frigid mornings, -15 and lower but then again, I didn't shift so good in that garbage either.

I love the auxiliary switches in the dash, convenient to attach things like, yellow flashing work lights. Connector under the hood near the auxiliary fuse box. Interior is nice, seats are comfortable and making the drive from Minneapolis to southern Tennessee in one shot and I was happy to be out of the truck but was not completely beat up like the time I did the trip from Brainerd, MN to southern Tennessee in the old 2002.

The frame on this truck, unbelievable. Huge, solid, awesome. This is a 4500 though so your lesser trucks probably won't be near as much but I could be wrong since the regular 3500, 2013 is actually rated to carry more than mine, oddly enough.

The back windows go all the way down, the body styling, cab lights, everything about this truck is excellent in my eyes. Have not had any service issues to speak of. The only thing I dislike and wish I could have changed is the base Uconnect 3.?? radio. I bought this off the lot so did not choose it but in two simple words, it sucks. No Bluetooth, come on Chrysler, it's 2013, Bluetooth should be standard on everything. Door speakers in the front only, no rear controls so even if I did add rear door speakers probably won't work right. This is my only issue with the entire truck, pretty petty issue but would have been different if I was able to order it as I wanted. Otherwise I am completely happy with it.

Had the truck loaded with a equipment hauler with a small skid steer, a car hauler with a 1992 F150, utility trailer with 6000 pounds of scrap steel and a dump trailer loaded with 12,000 pounds of rock. Truck weighed in on the scales with the rock at 29,000lbs. Had no braking issues, going down a sizeable hill and the exhaust brake was only using about 1/2 available braking power, pulled the hills nicely, the thumb control to lock it into the gear you want is excellent. The Continental tires suck too, in the snow/ice. Have not had them in much mud but the year is still young and the gas companies I'm sure will put them to the test for me at some point.

That's about all I have, hope this helps out on your decision.

P.S, Oh, I have used 4 low once. 4 high I have driven hundreds of miles in horrible roads in Minnesota where you do not see asphalt for days and days, just snow. Mine is automatic but have backed my trailer up a 700 foot driveway several times and backed up our main drive hill(really steep) a few times as well because there is no way I am turning the truck and trailer combo around in my upper driveway.

Quick Reply: Help me decide if I'm crazy or not