4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

fuel filter failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With modern ratings 2um is a misnomer. <3um is the best anything can be, but 2um is what is known and wanted.

A Donaldson P551313 after the OEM filter would provide superb filtration, and a BF1212 before the OEM filter would provide superb f/w separation.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Factory would be fine as a prefilter to the 2micron.
I use the stock filter as my last chance filter for those just in case moments
that I hope I never have. In other words, run you water seperator and 2micron filter before the factory filter. It will give you that little extra protection just in case an issue arises.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AH64ID
Baldwin BF1212 get's my vote.

Here is how I did it.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t-t211990.html
Have you had any gelling issues with this setup? I'm planning to go the same direction, but with our cold winters, I was a little concerned.
Thanks for the good photo work.

Larry
Old 11-16-2011, 04:04 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooler
I use the stock filter as my last chance filter for those just in case moments
that I hope I never have. In other words, run you water seperator and 2micron filter before the factory filter. It will give you that little extra protection just in case an issue arises.

Why would you run a 2micron before the factory. That would be pointless in my opinion, the factory filter would be filtering 2micron fuel. Thats like passing water from a Brita filter through a dishrag.

To me it makes more sense to use the factory as sort of a prefilter then go from the factory to a 2micron.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Stargeezer
Have you had any gelling issues with this setup? I'm planning to go the same direction, but with our cold winters, I was a little concerned.
Thanks for the good photo work.

Larry
I gelled once two winters ago, but it was my fault. I was still running some B20 that I though was winterized to 0°, and then put more additive in it. Well it turns out B20 doesn't respond to anti-gel the same and at -8° she gelled up on me.

I have since added heater and insulation to the f/w sep, but was in -13° last winter with no winter additives and no pressure issues.

If the fuel is properly winterized you shouldn't need a heater, but I didn't like that answer.

My dad has a similar setup (both filters where my f/w sep is) and in 3 winters in Montana has never had an issue without a heater.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 AM

Factory would be fine as a prefilter to the 2micron.
I agree Blake but my thinking was that it would be easier to just install double filters back near the fuel tank rather than plumb around in the engine compartment and that changing the filters would be easier back there as well. The factory filter wouldn't be doing much filtering, if any, and should stay clean forever. Comments welcome. Thanks,

Peyton
Old 11-16-2011, 03:32 PM

Many people think that same way, personally I prefer staged filtering for efficiency.

You will have to change the OEM filter with that setup when you change the other filters thou as filters still need replaced even if not clogged.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:44 PM

I have the universal combo setup that I plan to mount back near the transfer case, like you did your seperator. Only for the short term. I plan to put the water sept. and the 2mu filter on that, with the idea that I'll add the big line/filter kit under the hood in the spring as I do the deletes. When I add that I'll switch the other filter to a less fine filter. I just want to get my fuel properly filtered before we head south for winter and this is easy enough I can do it right now. myself. I have to hire someone to do the underhood stuff for me.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:18 PM

Why would you run a 2micron before the factory. That would be pointless in my opinion, the factory filter would be filtering 2micron fuel. Thats like passing water from a Brita filter through a dishrag.

To me it makes more sense to use the factory as sort of a prefilter then go from the factory to a 2micron.
Lots of good information from Marine Diesel type folks. They have been doing this for a long while and that is what I am doing. My setup is not exactly like I would like it since I have an AirDog 100. I would prefer to run through an
FS1000 first (10 micron water seperator), then a 2 micron, then to the stock filter.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:22 PM

Lots of good information from Marine Diesel type folks. They have been doing this for a long while and that is what I am doing.
Not saying thats its wrong, just the way I think it seems to be backwards. Kinds like sanding with a 400grit sandpaper then finishing with a 60grit sandpaper

Any explanation as to why it is better to run it before the factory setup??

Im gonna skip the factory setup (planning to anyway) and do an airdog into the Glacier Diesel 2micron setup, eventually.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:24 PM

Ease of installation is the main reason people install both filters under the truck.. plenty of options to do it that way, just not what I wanted.

Did you know that putting a P551315 on the AD is as effective as the best filter we can run? The P551313/551311's are the most effective, and the P551315 uses the same media, just less of it.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:24 PM

I have a good writeup on multistage fuel filtration from a Diesel Marine guy. PM me your email address and I will send it to you.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Ease of installation is the main reason people install both filters under the truck.. plenty of options to do it that way, just not what I wanted.

Did you know that putting a P551315 on the AD is as effective as the best filter we can run? The P551313/551311's are the most effective, and the P551315 uses the same media, just less of it.
Good to know.

I have a good writeup on multistage fuel filtration from a Diesel Marine guy. PM me your email address and I will send it to you.
Just shoot it to my DTR one, bclark@dieseltruckresource.com
Old 11-16-2011, 07:47 PM

On the way. As you remember I called it the last chance filter. If you have an issue with your main filtering system, such as what this guy had, the last chance filter would of saved him the repair bill. So if you have filter failure do you want to be the guy trying to sue the filter company or the one sitting in his chair with his feet kicked up smiling from ear to ear. Filter failures don't happen often, but if they do, be prepared is my motto.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:22 PM

Good to know.

Just shoot it to my DTR one, bclark@dieseltruckresource.com
Put it somewhere on DTR so everyone can read it. DTR WIKI???

Quick Reply: fuel filter failure