4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

fuel filter failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel filter failure

Hello,

I've been a lurker for a while but this is my 1st post and I'm looking for insight into this problem.

My son's 2008 3500 (~130000 miles) just sustained injector and other damage when a fuel filter replacement collapsed letting crap get by into the injectors and elsewhere. This replacement fuel filter (spin on type) was suggested by the dealer and my son ok'd it. The filter was clogged (and subsequently collapsed) by bad fuel (algae according to the dealer) from a very recent fill up.

Has anybody seen something like this. I can't believe that a filter can would collapse when clogged. Of course the dealer is blaming my son for not changing the filter often enough ... which may be true ... but should a filter fail catastrophically like that? I blame the dealer for using an inappropriate part. Am I wrong?

He's looking at roughly $6k repair bills. Thanks for any insight into this.

Peyton
Old 11-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
First thing I would do is get a fuel sample...frankly Dealers like to blame everything on bad fuel instead of warranty the repairs. Did you actually see the collapsed filter full of the black algae?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
First thing I would do is get a fuel sample...frankly Dealers like to blame everything on bad fuel instead of warranty the repairs. Did you actually see the collapsed filter full of the black algae?
Thanks Lary,

My son took a fuel sample from the filter so it should be a good one. I haven't seen the filter yet but I plan to take a photo this afternoon. So far I'm relying on my son's description.

Peyton
Old 11-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by peyton
Thanks Lary,

My son took a fuel sample from the filter so it should be a good one. I haven't seen the filter yet but I plan to take a photo this afternoon. So far I'm relying on my son's description.

Peyton
Injector failure due to poor filtration is pretty common on these trucks, frankly the stock filter set up just isn't up to snuff for the dirty fuel issues. Most guys are adding 2 micron filters in line because the Chrysler filters are 5 or 7 micron at best....that isn't good enough. Bad fuel can be an issue, no doubt about it.

Having said that I have seen a ton of guys get hammered by the Dealers for bad fuel when there wasn't anything wrong with it.....seems to be the "go to" excuse so they don't have to warranty something any more.

Test your sample and then you will at least know where you stand and whether you need to get aggressive on Chrysler or not.

Best of luck to you
Old 11-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Im with Top on this one.

I love my Glacier Diesel 2micron setup. Cheap cheap cheap insurance compared to a 6k repair bill.

I wish you the best of luck trying to get everything sorted out.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What is the filter part number?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
What is the filter part number?
good question. there is no number on the element. it is a pleated paper filter that goes into a plastic cannister. the mechanic said it was a double element type (15 and 5 micron). it had collapsed into a partial hourglass shape.

does no part number = proprietary?

Peyton
Old 11-14-2011, 08:11 PM

Are you talking about the upgraded OEM filter? If so the only way that would happen with a stock lift pump is improper installation, so who installed it?

The OEM pump cannot collapse a OEM filter, even if the filter is plugged.. the fuel will just stop flowing. Even if the pressure regulator in the tank failed the psi would not be enough to do what you described.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:13 PM

Was it running rough prior to collapsing?
Old 11-14-2011, 11:19 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It sounds to me like impropper installation to me. There is no way that a dealer would take blame on something like this. I have never, ever, found a dealer to be honest all the time. Especially in the maintenance department. Where I live, the majority of the mechanics are failures at their jobs. I have seen so many mistakes when performing basic maintenance on our Diesel trucks that I would never take mine to the dealer. As far as I am concerned the warranty is useless anyway. Not the case everywhere but where I live that is my experience.

I am anxious to see how this works out for you though. How is the maintenance bill 6K though? What is the dealer saying has to be replaced? For 6K you could get a new 6.7L Cummins off of Ebay with low mileage. That's what I would do.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:28 AM

Unless some crazy stuff happened there is no way the engine can pull enough vacuum to collapse the filter without the engine starving for fuel. As for the so called algee build up my fuel filter is black after 8,000 miles of use if that is what they are going off of on bad fuel. I would fight this for sure and get that fuel sample.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:04 AM

At 130,000 I don't see how there is a warranty left anyway. maybe an extended warranty?

If the dealer installed the filter, they should have a record of what/when it was installed. I agree with above posts, most likely an improper install and seriously doubt the dealership would own up to that being the cause.

As for repairs, I'd get it done for probably half or less @ somewhere other than the dealer.

jeff.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:15 PM

AH64ID: Are you talking about the upgraded OEM filter? If so the only way that would happen with a stock lift pump is improper installation, so who installed it?

The OEM pump cannot collapse a OEM filter, even if the filter is plugged.. the fuel will just stop flowing. Even if the pressure regulator in the tank failed the psi would not be enough to do what you described.
It was installed at the dealership. I am not sure but I *think* it is the upgraded fuel filter. The mechanic referred to a $700 one but that is definitely not it. He is also the one that said the pump could "suck a golf ball thru a garden hose".

Rednecktastic: Was it running rough prior to collapsing?
No, it was running normally altho it did cough once on startup but cleared up right away.

New2Diesel: It sounds to me like impropper installation to me. There is no way that a dealer would take blame on something like this. I have never, ever, found a dealer to be honest all the time. Especially in the maintenance department. Where I live, the majority of the mechanics are failures at their jobs. I have seen so many mistakes when performing basic maintenance on our Diesel trucks that I would never take mine to the dealer. As far as I am concerned the warranty is useless anyway. Not the case everywhere but where I live that is my experience.

I am anxious to see how this works out for you though. How is the maintenance bill 6K though? What is the dealer saying has to be replaced? For 6K you could get a new 6.7L Cummins off of Ebay with low mileage. That's what I would do.
The bill is slightly less than $6k, I just rounded it up from around $5800. It includes 2 injectors, catalytic coverter, clean tank, lines, etc. And other padding of course.

bdewey: Unless some crazy stuff happened there is no way the engine can pull enough vacuum to collapse the filter without the engine starving for fuel. As for the so called algee build up my fuel filter is black after 8,000 miles of use if that is what they are going off of on bad fuel. I would fight this for sure and get that fuel sample.
It was running normally, smooth, normal power, up to the point, at a traffic signal, it began to run very badly and was then immediately driven to dealership. The fuel filter is black and "plugged with asphaltene" according to the mechanic. My son took a sample from the filter. I haven't seen it yet. Anyone know where a fuel sample can be tested in Houston?

jeff-kc99ftp: At 130,000 I don't see how there is a warranty left anyway. maybe an extended warranty?

If the dealer installed the filter, they should have a record of what/when it was installed. I agree with above posts, most likely an improper install and seriously doubt the dealership would own up to that being the cause.

As for repairs, I'd get it done for probably half or less @ somewhere other than the dealer.
No warranty and they do have a record which shows the filter has 25000 miles on it. I know that is far too long and of course the dealer is blaming this for the failure but I still feel that a plugged filter should not fail like this one did. And it was running normally until it crapped out ... no power loss, no warning. A local shop has estimated $1500-$2000 w/o catalytic converter.

He and a friend feel that they can do the work themselves but I am trying to dissuade them. Thanks for all the support.

Peyton
Old 11-15-2011, 03:35 PM

The fuel pump is in the tank, so it won't suck anything! The CP3 can draw fuel but not enough to do that to a filter than is designed as a pressure filter.

If you did get contaminated fuel you may check with your insurance, it's normally covered.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
15 psi is the normal operation pressure for the factory pump.

Under load it drops to 12.

Now way in heck that factory pump caused the filter to collapse.

Quick Reply: fuel filter failure