4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Diesel Vs Power Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Vs Power Wagon

need some input on a new truck ?It will be used for work in the patch and daily driver keep in mind long periods(12 hours) of high idle in cold conditions dpf is a big negative for me.
option 1
keep my 04 quad cab LB 3500 srw Laramie,with 300000km for a spare truck and towing at home and buy a 2010 power wagon for work

option 2
trade in the 04 on a new diesel crew cab long box Laramie for double duty work and personnel use.

both options work out to roughly the same same price as the difference in cost between the two trucks is equal to my trade in value.

opinions? I'm I over concerned about dpf and rejen issues?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:37 PM
DJM

Decisions ...... decisions

I wanted a power wagon and wanted a diesel but my friends at dodge said no way, so I am on a quest to build my own power wagon. Starting with a 2500 regular cab ST with the diesel. I had to take the ST in order to get a manual transfer case matched to a 6sp manual trans with the diesel. Have ABR lockers for front & rear along with the warn 16i winch. I am in final stages of deciding which winch bumper to order ..... decisions ..... decisions....

I have been the 2 truck route before, it just makes u decide which one you like to drive better, my experience was whenever I needed something it was in the "other" truck !

Whatever you decide as long as YOU are happy with it, then it's the right decision! Good luck & keep us posted
Old 05-28-2010, 01:09 PM

I know the perfect truck for me would be a crew cab long box diesel power wagon with a 5.9 nv5600 , could build one out of a mega cab if a guy had the money.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're going to be idling 12 hours a day when its cold, the dpf WILL be an issue. I had dfp issues driving around in town until someone stole the nox and dpf canisters and installed a smarty. Now its a VERY happy truck. If you're getting part/all of your fuel paid for by your company, get the hemi and keep the older truck for towing.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:13 PM

yup my fuel is covered while working the hemi is looking better and better but the wife dosnt think I need two trucks. I know this pulling the camper with a gas job will make me want to hang myself after about 4 hours.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:19 PM

I would get a power wagon if I had the chance in a heartbeat. Later down the road I would swap in a Cummins.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:40 PM

Remember, Power Wagon = 4.56:1 gears... not going to EVER get even reasonable mileage...
Old 05-29-2010, 01:56 PM

My g/f's jeep has a Hemi. It has enough power for that small SUV, but its a dog when pulling the boat and gets about 6mpg. On a HD sized truck you are going to get very angry if you ever have to pull any loads and expect any amount of power. This is all not mentioning resale and reliability on the Hemi compared to the cummins.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Banned

Why idle for 12 hours, the cold? why not use diesel system that warms cab and engine. Also i heard long idle trans should be in neutral so oil flows.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by 15 Digger
Why idle for 12 hours, the cold? why not use diesel system that warms cab and engine. Also i heard long idle trans should be in neutral so oil flows.
I read from a tech on one of these forums that transfluid flows in both park and neutral.

I test drove a 2500 Crew Cab Hemi before buying my truck. It was decent but gutless by comparison to the Cummins. I don't care if it was rated at 383 hp and 400 ft/lbs of torque. It was decent, engine made a lot of noise when pushed and made it's power at high rpm.

The 5 speed auto sucked compared to the 6 auto. All this was the opposite of what I like about the Cummins.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by 15 Digger
When its -40c you dont dare shut down unless you can plug in,power is not availible often were I work and diesel fuel is usually free and easier to come by than gas . I am now looking for a used 5.9 with low miles wich is frustrating, I use a manual tranny so no worries about the auto.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ROUGHNECK
When its -40c you dont dare shut down unless you can plug in,power is not availible often were I work and diesel fuel is usually free and easier to come by than gas . I am now looking for a used 5.9 with low miles wich is frustrating, I use a manual tranny so no worries about the auto.
I understand that but I thought those auxiliary heaters that run on diesel and heat engine and cab would work. At minus 40 I would cry and run home.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:22 PM

in Canada you can delete the dpf, right? less strict emissions laws? After owning a gasser dodge 360 to pull my little 2200lb trailer and getting maybe 8 mpgs. I will never go back after getting 14 mpgs consistently while towing.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:48 PM

DFP can be deleted here but dodge will void your warrenty Im having a hard time finding a used 5.9 with a manual trans but time is on my side!!
Old 05-31-2010, 12:16 AM

I think I would get an oversized diesel heater (Espar / Webasto) and two extra deep cycle batteries dedicated to it that charge up when the engine is running. My Espar works well enough but at -40 you would probably need something with more BTUs. They only run for two hours before shutting down also so would have to be restarted.

Quick Reply: Diesel Vs Power Wagon