4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

AMSOIL BMK21 Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 05:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
AMSOIL BMK21 Installed

I finally decided to take the plunge and installed the BMK21 Single Remote By-Pass Oil Filtration System. After looking through many different installs, I decided the best place for my requirements was behind the front bumper.

Because of the lack of a solid place to mount it behind the bumper, I had to use a 1/4" piece of steel that I bolted to the bumper support bracket. I was going to use aluminum, but Lowe's didn't have any in the size I needed, but they did have the exact size in steel. I wanted to use only the holes that were already present, so the 1/4" piece was mounted at an angle. Here are some pics:

Right side bumper support bracket. The 4 holes are what I used to bolt the steel plate to:

1/4"x4"x12" steel plate used for the BMK21 mount. After the initial holes were drilled, I temporarily mounted it and used a level to draw that line to ensure the filter was going to sit level once mounted:

Hanging out to dry...

Bolted in place and about ready for the filter. It probably wasn't necessary, but I decided to spray paint the 4 bolts to keep the threads from rusting...looked better before the paint

The street T in this pic can be used to add an oil sample valve. I already have an oil analysis pump, so I reused the plug removed from the full flow filter mount.

A couple notes about this install to save a few dollars. The extra BP241 1/8" NPT to 7/16"-20 JIC fitting listed on AMSOIL's website as needed for the plug on top of the full flow filter mount is not necessary. The kit comes with 4 and I only used 3 (I now have two left over). Additionally, on the 2010 it is impossible, at least on my truck, to mount the BP241 directly on top of the full flow filter mount because of the coolant lines. I had to use a street elbow on the plug closer to the block, then add the BP241 to the street elbow once in place. Additionally, the BP242 (90 Degree, 1/8" NPT to 7/16"-20 JIC) used for the Aluminum Billet Oil Fill Cap is not necessary either as you can use one of the extra street elbows and one of the extra BP241 fittings to achieve the same thing.

Extra tidbit of info:

My goal is to go as long as possible on a single oil change. I try to send in an oil sample about once a quarter or NLT 7500 miles when I rotate my tires. I started using the AMSOIL AME 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine Motor Oil back in October 2011 with 45K miles on the truck and haven't changed it since (almost at 90K miles on the truck or 45K on the oil). Between changing the oil filter once a year and the oil taken for the oil samples, fresh oil is added to keep it "sweet". The addition of the EaPB100 By-Pass Oil filter adds another 1.5 quarts of oil. That filter will be changed at least every other year or every other full flow filter change. While all of the samples have came back for continued use, I finally decided its probably time to keep that oil even cleaner by filtering it through a 2-micron filter.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am new to diesel work and looking at adding a bypass filter. Are still impressed with the Amsoil product?
Old 09-22-2019, 10:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Archie
I am new to diesel work and looking at adding a bypass filter. Are still impressed with the Amsoil product?
Most definitely! Truck will hit 200K miles on the odometer by the end of the week. Last oil analysis a few months ago came back clean and good for continued use.