3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Amsoil bypass, how much oil to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil bypass, how much oil to buy?

I just purchased a Amsoil dual bypass mounting kit from John Strenkowski, thanks Lightman for recommending him, but I'm not quite sure how much oil I need to purchase. I know the truck takes 10 qts without a filter, but how much more oil does the full flow filter, the bypass filter, the filter mount and the hoses take??

BTW, the mount kit from John is totally top notch!! I HIGHLY recommend it.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:22 PM

When I installed mine I bought 4 gallons and had enough to do a filter change or two.

What mount are yout alking of? Got a picture?
Old 10-26-2005, 05:14 PM

The guy who makes it is John Strenkowski from somewhere in CT & his phone # is (860) 642-7033. It's a powder coated steel plate that
mounts to the engine block, a billet aluminum cap with stainless steel braided hoses. Really top quality stuff!! I paid $377 & it's worth every dollar.

I don't own a digital camera, but a member named Lightman has the same setup & has pictures posted on TDR.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/u...&albumid=16908
Old 10-26-2005, 11:57 PM

You need 12 qts with the normal filter change and about 2 more qts for the bypass filter and hoses.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's definitely a sweet and very solidly mounted setup. John is also a nice guy to deal with. Glad you like it Gumby! I knew once you saw and held the quality you'd come around

Supergewl is right on...just a few extra quarts...get around 15 quarts and you should be set.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:49 AM

John & his wife Virginia are great folks & are easy to deal with. Lightman, you told me that he made good stuff & I believed you, but you don't realize how good it is until you see it!! That man can sure machine aluminium!!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 10:37 AM

Any one have picks of the new filter system.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gumby
John & his wife Virginia are great folks & are easy to deal with. Lightman, you told me that he made good stuff & I believed you, but you don't realize how good it is until you see it!! That man can sure machine aluminium!!!!
The billet filter adapter is one sweet piece!! Did you get the stainless braided hoses that were pre-cut to fit?
Old 10-27-2005, 11:14 AM

Yep, that is one SWEET setup!!! Now if I can just find time to get it installed! Between work & coaching a Pop Warner football team, my free time is EXTREMELY limited!

Again THANK YOU Lightman!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 04:06 PM

ok ok it looks great but don't you worry about the oil filters practically sitting on top of the exhaust manifold. I made my own mount for mine that mounts it to the firewall but holds the filters a little farther away so as not to absorb too much heat from the exhaust. Also doesn't mounting it to the motor put alot of vibration into it... I have yet to actually install my kit for time reasons. so If this is such a good mount I may go to this one instead of my own.. Also what is the cost of this mount and hoses and adapter seperatley???
Old 10-27-2005, 04:52 PM

Question bluep

Originally Posted by underwoodtransp
ok ok it looks great but don't you worry about the oil filters practically sitting on top of the exhaust manifold. I made my own mount for mine that mounts it to the firewall but holds the filters a little farther away so as not to absorb too much heat from the exhaust. Also doesn't mounting it to the motor put alot of vibration into it... I have yet to actually install my kit for time reasons. so If this is such a good mount I may go to this one instead of my own.. Also what is the cost of this mount and hoses and adapter seperatley???
I kind of agree here , this is a tall mount and mounted to motor will crack. 2-3 qt oil and filters amount to 5-6 lb hanging on top will viberate. Pictures dont show it but I take it both filters are mounted up on this mount. Also I agree with the heat factor.??

Last edited by bluepp; 10-27-2005 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Left some out
Old 10-27-2005, 06:01 PM

I will find the pictures of mine installed. I mounted it to the firewall byt he A/C condersor. I have a loud humm in the cab now. What I have gathered it is the oil pump harmonics. I have yet to pull it off and put some rubber padding behind it.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:57 PM

Actually, I have had bypass filters mounted in various locations. The original mount john made mounted low behind the front headlight, not mounted to the engine. Many folks have found as I have, that mounting in various places, engine bay, etc, cause an absolutely annoying hum that resonates thru the cab. It's actually pulses from the oil pump travelling down the lines and resonating thru the filters. Mounting to the block is believed to be the only way to get around this, just as the stock filter mount attaches to the block, and cancels out the noise. I'm not sure if you guys are seeing the whole mount, but it's incredibly solid...it bolts into 4 pretapped holes that exist in our engines already, plus there is a support beam that goes off to the intake side of the engine and bolts down as well. As soon as I switched and mounted to the block with Supergewl's help (before john's new mount), the noise was instantly gone. I found this problem was common on duramaxes too.

I've put more than 45k miles on the setup and can't say I've noticed any heat issue. There is a decent amount of clearance over the exhaust manifold, and the oil analysis results are awesome. Supergewl can comment too, he has it mounted in the same spot.

The beauty of this system is that it's plug and play completely. No fabricating, no worries, it all fits and works.. I'm sure if you're handy you can build your own.

I was one of the lucky few, and I should comment on John's business ethics. I bought one of the first mounts. A beautifully designed piece of billet etc, fit and seemed great, till we heard the hum. We were all disappointed but figured oh well it's a weird third gen thing etc. Anyway John went back to the drawing board without telling anyone. We were all a little upset to have bought the mount and had the vibe but whatever, it's not like we were buying from DC.. Anyway a few months later myself and others got a letter from him, and a big box, saying that this was our complimentary new mount that would not hum, apologized graciously for the original flaw, and thanked us for his business. Now that is a stand-up guy and businessman if I've seen one. I was impressed. The new mount has considerably more cost in it and it was free of charge.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:41 AM

OK guys say what you will but Lightman is right. I've been running my mount above the exhaust manifold now for about a year and have pulled heavy accross country that way. Mine is the old workd style with only 2 mount points and I've had no problems yet, knock on wood.
I've got pics of mine in my gallery and my web page.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:38 PM

SuperGewl, I am not sure I like how it is placed. The lines run on the hot side of the turbo and the filters are hanging over the exhaust manifold. How hot do the filters and lines get while at normal temp? Does it raise the oil temperature in that configuration?