4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

AMSOIL ATF & Trans flush

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
AMSOIL ATF & Trans flush

This is not another DIY thread on how to replace 100% of your transmission fluid since there is plenty out there, but more of a testimony and a warning about the transmission dipstick (more on that at the end)

Last week I finally decided it was time to change the fluid in my transmission and t-case after a little over 53,300 miles on the truck. For about the last 20K miles or so, something just didn't seem right...sometimes. I inquired H&S about it, they said it was probably mechanical...I returned to stock then reflashed the tuner, problem seemed to have gone away so I added back the trans tune and truck drove fine for the most part. Every now and then it seemed like something would stick when the trans would shift, mainly from 3-4 or 4-3. It drove fine though and has never let me down.

I decided after a little research that I would try out AMSOIL's Engine & Transmission Flush before switching oil. I've always used it in all my vehicles and never had a problem and the engines always ran and sounded great. So, I put the truck on jack stands, poured two bottles in and let it idle through neutral, reverse and drive for about 15 minutes. Drained the old oil and refilled with about 17 quarts worth of AMSOIL ATF. Since it was late when I finally got done I couldn't really test it out so...

The next day I took the family camping/fishing up at Pahranagat National Wildlife Refuge. In all, between last Thursday and today I was able to put about 400 miles on the new oil. I don't think that transmission has ever shifted so smooth since I've owned it new. Granted I did two things at once and one could argue that the transmission fluid alone is what made the difference, but I would say it was a match made in heaven and I would bet if I tore that transmission down before the flush and fill and after the flush and fill it would look as good as my Subaru did when I had to replace the head gaskets at about 100K miles and everything from the head to the block was extremely clean (changed the oil once a year and used the AMSOIL Engine Flush prior to each oil change).

So for anyone looking to change their transmission fluid I would give AMSOIL ATF a try and if you have 50K+ miles on the truck I would recommend the Engine & Transmission flush. I could not have been happier with the results.

Now on to the dipstick WARNING

At around 20K miles I noticed the rubber seal on the transmission dipstick started sticking in the tube when I would check the oil. Not knowing how in the world that rubber seal stayed on the stick other than by the crimped edges and magic I suppose, when I dropped the transmission pan last week, guess what I found at the bottom? The metal washer looking thing that was suppose to hold that dust seal in place. Somehow probably by a faulty design it made its way past the crimped edges on the stick and down the tube and almost a permanent home in my transmission. I am so glad that I changed the oil when I did, because I don't want to know what would have happened if that sucker got sucked up into the filters or maybe if it is even possible, got past the filters.

So now I am in the market for a new dipstick - hopefully there is a rock solid fail/fool proof aftermarket one out there so if anyone knows of a company, please let me know because I won't be purchasing one from Mopar any time soon unless someone can verify they changed the design on it so that it doesn't happen again.

Here's to AMSOIL for making great oil and helping protect my vehicles.