4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2010 Possibly blown motor!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Possibly blown motor!

While driving home today motor started ticking,then knocking, and loss power rapidly,and heavy, thick white smoke came out the exhaust all in a matter of minutes. Then the check engine light came on. Had it towed after waiting 2 hours. Only 10,000 miles on it. This will be my last Dodge!
Old 08-01-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
figure out what happened yet ? still have warranty right ?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:52 AM

Still under warranty, will be towed to dealer this morning. I have luckily done no mods yet.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:24 AM

That sucks! Hope they figure it out for you. These are just some of the reasons these new diesels dont really interest me. Poor fuel economy, less dependability, longevity, serviceability ect. These are some of the reasons that I think I'm going gas next time!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by 72dart
That sucks! Hope they figure it out for you. These are just some of the reasons these new diesels dont really interest me. Poor fuel economy, less dependability, longevity, serviceability ect. These are some of the reasons that I think I'm going gas next time!
I test drove a 2010 Ram Crew Hemi 4x4 before buying this Mega 6.7. Almost exactly the same truck as mine but in a Crew instead of Mega.

My impressions of the Hemi on the 2500 -- It was gutless by comparison to the 6.7. It didn't have the same power off the line and had to really rev to make power. Once the RPM's were up over 3000, it was pretty quick. But it just didn't seem as strong as the 6.7. I wanted to like it but was under-impressed.

And even worse was the transmission. I would like to see that engine with the 68rfe.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by 72dart
Poor fuel economy, less dependability, longevity, serviceability ect.
I think you have it backwards you just described a gas motor. go a head and tow a big boat with a gas motor and see how it works for you. Diesel is always better than gas for Tow haul.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You didn't just fill up at a "gas" station, did you?.... Interested to see what comes of this....
Old 08-02-2010, 06:48 PM

Dealer called today. They said turbo blew apart and the knocking I heard was the turbo as well as the white smoke. I think there is a little more to it but that's all they will tell me.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Preloader:

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your new truck!

I know there are alot of DTR Members that have the new 6.7 trucks and many have had good service from them. But down here where I am, our two Dodge dealers are seeing quite a few problems with them. One of the bigger problems is the one you had,.....the turbos coming apart with low mileage.
Another is the EGR system getting plugged to varying degrees.

Anyway, I hope you are able to get your truck fixed up alright Sir!

--------
John_P
Old 08-02-2010, 11:35 PM

Do you think this problem with the turbo could have compromised the motor.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by preloader
Do you think this problem with the turbo could have compromised the motor.
--------------------------------------
Preloader:

It depends on how bad the breakage of the turbo was Sir and how long the engine ran after the breakage. I have blown two (2) turbos on the four Dodge CTD Pickups I have had. The first one was the worse as not only did the shaft break, but the inducer wheel also came apart. In that case, the pieces of that inducer wheel went into the intercooler and most of the metal pieces were caught and stayed there. I was very lucky. But if the metal goes up and into the engine damage can occur.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i would be tempted to justify replacing the motor, How are they going to know if metal piecies ended up in the motor or not?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Just a suggestion which you can politely pass on to the dealer.
Have them look at your exhaust manifold, inside it. I saw a 6.7 at the dealer I know that had a piece of the turbo lodged inside the manifold just past where the turbo bolted to the manifold. The first tech did not think of checking this exit point for shrapnel. When the truck left the shop with the owner, it returned a day later will all sorts of codes and low power. They replaced the exhaust manifold AFTER the tech thought he could just 'cut' the shrapnel out.
The collision of the pieces and probably that added heat from the massive restriction of exhaust flow created two large cracks in the manifold. Both where on the underside and of course the tech did not look under there even though he was working in and under there...the service manager and the owner did before the turbo went back on.

Heads up on that one.

Scotty
Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 PM

I wouldn't let a blown turbo turn you away. I've broken one on my truck before. Broke the turbine shaft, it became lodged in the housing, no power, smoking horribly!!! This dodge is my first an will not be my last!! I've driven the Chevys, my company has a 7.3 and a 6.4, I drive them alot, I have all of them!! No power, horrable milage ALWAYS broken, I use my truck for company use, better milage and lots more power!! They make turbos by the thousands, if a wrench will fit in their hand, thier hired. A minor imperfection in machining could cause damage!! This happens, try your luck on the new powerjoke, unproven engine and tranny, the duramax, is a good motor, I find it lacking where the power is really needed..
Old 08-07-2010, 09:48 PM

I picked my truck up from the dealer today. The work order says they replaced turbo, charge air cooler,upstream and downstream oxygen sensors,mobile desoot,oil and filter change, update ecm, and clean egr valve. I guess I should be glade everything was covered. But I don't feel like it's dependable anymore. When the warranty gets close to ending this truck will have to go.

Quick Reply: 2010 Possibly blown motor!