4500 / 5500 - Chassis Cab Trucks Talk about your commercial trucks here. We realize there are differences with these compared to the regular pickups, so we have provided a place to discuss the commercial versions only.

Ram 5500 vs. Ford F550

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ram 5500 vs. Ford F550

How do the two trucks compare? I am comparing 4x4 crew cab, 60" CA, 19,500 GVWR, Lariat/Laramie trucks. I am only starting my research, so please help me & put up w/ my dumb questions.

Most important is the engine/transmission - 6.7 Cummins vs. 6.7 Ford 'Scorpion'. To keep things apples-to-apples, I want to consider the auto tranny Ram, as Ford does not offer a manual. I assume that both have a DPF (and have to regenerate) as well as require DEF. Is this true? What is the real world milage (in town & Hwy unloaded and loaded). If either of these trucks are lightly loaded & idled allot, will they go into regeneration mode more frequently? What is the overall operating cost, taking into account fuel, DEF, maintenance cost, etc. What about reliability of the Cummins vs. Powerstroke?

Finally, how do the trucks stack up otherwise - interior & exterior?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I cann't comment on the Dodge as I havn't worked on one but I work as a fleet mechanic that has a lot of Ford 350,450 and 550s. These trucks are used offroad only and are beat HARD.

We have zero problems with the trannsmissions/t-cases. Sometimes a cooler goes but its offroad soooo.... Blow lots of u-joints, wheel bearings, ball joints. Again offroad. Wreck a lot of front diff gears, pinion bearing fails then takes the gears. Lots of power steering failures as well. Pumps and boxs.

Engine has been ok but is a B@#%# to work on. Filters are quite expensive compared to what I pay for the ones on my 2003 Cummins but seem to be better quality. They have a separate fuel/water separator and then filter.

Engine is a pain to work on, no room. One had gas put thru it and completely ruined it. Had to be completely replaced at a cost of over $30K.

Biggest problem is the DEF system. Trucks idle a lot and some operators aren't smart enough to activate high idle. Lots of DEF plug ups, especially in winter. We have the factory IDS diagnostic software and can USUALLY get a truck to regen with it but twice its gone so bad that we've had to replace the DEF at a cost of about $1800 per filter.

We now try to avoid buying diesel trucks.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Having had an older (01) F550, I will say this, the ford is a way tougher truck than the comparable dodge, just from what I see out on the road. The newer trucks, with the "scorpion" engine, are a crap shoot at best. Seeing no problems with the transmissions, those are well built. Chassis and driveline are still strong.

For my money, in a new 5500 class (19,000) gvw truck, I would go with the F550 and the V10 engine. If they had a manual transmission available.

Only reason I would choose the dodge platform, is the availability of a 6 speed manual trans. Since I won't have auto trannies in any of my trucks, I just don't buy new anymore. Sucks to be me.

Good luck with your choices, for most people, either one would be excellent. For off highway work though, take the ford.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:36 PM

we run f550's for some of the service trucks at the mine I work at. the older 6.0's have been nothing but a pain, the chassis holds up, the engine, not so much. ive seen several sets of overload springs wear the perch pad out and the spring, it blew me away. as far as i know, the frames, axles and drivetrains have held up pretty good. the new ones they got us are with the v10, i have no idea how they hold up. but holy crap they ride terrible unloaded.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:28 AM

Might as well go with the new F550. I've heard nothing bad about the new Ford 6.7L, and actually heard their pretty good on fuel. I'm not ******* Dodge BUT, Ford builds a much better quality truck. Either truck is going to ride like a log wagon when not loaded. The Exterior of both trucks is pretty sweet but in my view, the Dodge looks much better on the outside but dosen't hold a candle to the inside of the Fords.

I'm on my very first Dodge so I'm still a little loyal to Ford products, being that I've only had Fords up until 4 months ago due to me owning a 6.0L Power Stroke...yea, bad move on my part!
Old 07-28-2012, 10:51 PM

I bought a 4500, I deleted all the emissions. This auto tranny pulls so much better than my 06 standard. I pull 30k# with both trucks. I like the interiors of the ford, but dodge has made some very good changes to the new ones too. I'm really pleased with mine.