4500 / 5500 - Chassis Cab Trucks Talk about your commercial trucks here. We realize there are differences with these compared to the regular pickups, so we have provided a place to discuss the commercial versions only.

Flatbed Dump Question & Alum. vs. Steel

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flatbed Dump Question & Alum. vs. Steel

I need to add a dumping flatbed for a chassis cab truck. Any recommendations on manufacturer's? Also, should I go aluminum or steel for the flatbed. How much of a premium is the weight savings of aluminum worth?

The truck in question is a F350 chassis cab dually w/ a 60" CA. I also posted in the towing/hauling section, but thought I would get a better response here.

Also, will I be able to put in a gooseneck hitch in the truck or will the hydraulics/cylinder be in the way.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:46 PM
RCW

A good aluminum flat bed will not be appreciably lighter than the same capacity in a steel bed. The reason is that good aluminum beds require additional strength in the structure and supports to do the job.

That is not to say that there are some very attractive light weight aluminum beds out there, but they will not stand up to real use. They are for looks and that is all.

The real advantage to aluminum is lack of corrosion and ease of maintenance over the life of the truck, and a significant gain in resale when the time comes to part with the package.

As far as the dump mechanism interfering with the gooseneck, it will not. The dump mechanisms fit below the crossmember supports and that leaves plenty of room for the gooseneck adapter.

When it comes to recommendations as to brands, I would check around your local bed suppliers for a locally built bed.
The name brands tend to be much more expensive than the beds made by a local shop, and the local guys will usually go the extra mile to fit brackets for drop down saddlebag tool boxes, additional support under the front if you carry a pup tank or welder, etc. They also have to work harder and provide a better quality product to get the business and customer referrals.

Also, if you work a flatbed, be it steel or aluminum, and keep it for more than ten years you will crack it somewhere, guaranteed. When you buy local you will have someone that can perform the welding repair correctly when necessary.

Obviously, welding aluminum requires much more care and skill than steel in order to protect the strength of the alloy, but the imported steels are now so impure that they can be harder to repair than a good aluminum bed and many times end up with so many gussets they look like a rolling junk yard.

I only use aluminum, and have since the mid-80's when steel became such poor quality when it was all outsourced to the third world. I am now completely satisfied with the performance of aluminum beds, and never have to watch a truck bed bleed rust out the side rails and down on my saddlebag tool boxes anymore.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:18 AM

you can have a goose neck and a dump . If you have a scissor lift and room you can move the pivot end in front of the gooseneck hitch, or you can run a dump with a front telescopic hoist. either option is not common but it is doable..if you aren't doing / fabricationg it your self it may be hard to find a shop willing to do it for you. One of my trucks is setup like this with a scissor lift..
Thanks,
Deo