4500 / 5500 - Chassis Cab Trucks Talk about your commercial trucks here. We realize there are differences with these compared to the regular pickups, so we have provided a place to discuss the commercial versions only.

5500 down again... no parts again....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5500 down again... no parts again....

OK so my truck is down again because of no parts. my Alternator (220 amp) crapped out. truck has been down since Nov 27. Dealer was sure that my up fit caused damage. I am sure my small elec/hyro dump box had nothing to do with it. Sherwood Dodge (close to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) is the dealer and they would not take one off a new, in stock truck. The part is back ordered So in total including the rear end problems, I have lost 7 weeks of use from the truck, I am tired of this crap and have lost a lot of business because of this truck.

Dealer says they will repair under warranty this time only (oh how lucky I am)

Good job Dodge.... not
Old 12-15-2008, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Give em heck!!

http://www.chryslercanada.ca/CA/03/E...SISTANCE,.html

Make sure you have your serial number handy !!.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:55 PM

I will see if I can dig up a chrysler contact i know, he is regional warranty and is in charge of service and parts for the 4500 & 5500's, when I met him at dealer in november we has about a 20min chat about these truck and how to dealers are handeling them. If you shoot me the last 9 of your VIN I will see if I can find a alternator for it, sometimes the service/parts guys at dealer don't care or know where to look.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:57 PM

back on the road 3 weeks later.... All I can do is shake my _____ing head
Old 12-21-2008, 10:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
No offense but you should have just taken the alt yourself to a rebuild shop and had it rebuilt. I have one here in Calgary that I use regularly. Usually have it back in 24hrs.

Yes you would have been out of pocket for it but it would have paid you back the first day you were back at work.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by cLAYH
No offense but you should have just taken the alt yourself to a rebuild shop and had it rebuilt. I have one here in Calgary that I use regularly. Usually have it back in 24hrs.

Yes you would have been out of pocket for it but it would have paid you back the first day you were back at work.
Kind of hard to take it out when Dodge took it the Alt out, and then told me it would only be a few days, then a few more days....get the picture?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Nope, sorry. If it was my bussiness on the line I would have asked for the alt back and gone elsewhere. I don't think I would survive having the truck down that long.....
Old 12-27-2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by cLAYH
Nope, sorry. If it was my bussiness on the line I would have asked for the alt back and gone elsewhere. I don't think I would survive having the truck down that long.....
It is easy to assume the easy route from the sidelines thanks for 2 bits
Old 12-30-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by lilsuzuki4x4
OK so my truck is down again because of no parts. my Alternator (220 amp) crapped out. truck has been down since Nov 27. Dealer was sure that my up fit caused damage. I am sure my small elec/hyro dump box had nothing to do with it. Sherwood Dodge (close to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) is the dealer and they would not take one off a new, in stock truck. The part is back ordered So in total including the rear end problems, I have lost 7 weeks of use from the truck, I am tired of this crap and have lost a lot of business because of this truck.

Dealer says they will repair under warranty this time only (oh how lucky I am)

Good job Dodge.... not
Didn't the dealer say anything about the free loaner vehicles mentioned in this press release ?

"Dodge Class 4 and Class 5 trucks can only be purchased through selected BusinessLink dealers. Dodge BusinessLink is a network of dealers who agreed to provide dedicated commercial account managers and sales teams, dealer inventories representing a higher mix of work-truck and other commercial vehicles, next-day service, extended hours to minimize downtime, free loaner vehicles, and other benefits. BusinessLink also includes the “On The Job” program which offers discounts on upfits and direct cash incentives and savings on almost all Dodge commercial vehicles; and a body builder’s guide is on-line at Dodge. The site has body builders’ guides for the chassis cabs, and wiring diagrams for the chassis cabs, Rams, Dakotas and Durangos, Sprinters, and Caravan C/V"
Old 12-30-2008, 04:16 PM

No Businesslink in Canada and they laugh at you when you want a loner expecially a 5500
Old 01-04-2009, 01:38 AM

Fixed downtime problem... bought a back-up truck....
Old 01-06-2009, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lilsuzuki4x4
Fixed downtime problem... bought a back-up truck....
Sad that you needed to buy a second truck as your brand new one is in the shop for something trivial.

Phone the Chrysler "whine line" 2 and 3 times a day until they do something. They do have the power in Canada to authorize the dealer to remove one from an in stock unit - you just have to get on their case.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Partsdude
Sad that you needed to buy a second truck as your brand new one is in the shop for something trivial.

Phone the Chrysler "whine line" 2 and 3 times a day until they do something. They do have the power in Canada to authorize the dealer to remove one from an in stock unit - you just have to get on their case.
Yeah for sure they can move parts off in stock unit, I worked at a Dodge Dealer back in 1989 and they always did that, so I figured I would get same treatment but the dealer said they could not take off unit because they did not want to chance a loss of sale.

Anyway I guess the bottom line is that I will not get the service I want so I have to deal with it. I guess I have to lower my expectations, sad to see the way things are going, really do like truck when it is working.

Hence buying another truck is least path of resistance

Dodge is like the titanic, and I am on board complaining about poor food quality. Not really there main concern I guess... if that at all made sense lol....
Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 PM

It's only gonna get worse after they burn through the bail out money!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:08 PM

it's a lot of parts, my cousin works for a dodge dealership and he said vehicle's are sitting waiting on parts that used to be in the warehouse in town now they are ordered from manufacture and week or longer waits. Managers speculate chrysler not paying on time for parts so they aren't getting shipped like they used to.

Quick Reply: 5500 down again... no parts again....