3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

wind noise - doors

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wind noise - doors

anyone come up with an effective way to stop the annoying wind noise in the doors when driving in a cross wind yet?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:28 PM

Sore spot for me!

Take it to a good dealer with a reputable body shop and have them re-align them, hopefully under warranty too.

You might also need the weather strip update as well. (Check to see if you have a bunch of tearing where the front edge of the door rubs against the weather stripping when you close it. If you do, its probally the old design, there is a TSB for this.)

Mine was bad enough that I would get misted in the face with water everynow and then. First they did the weather stripping, No difference. I then took it to the body shop and now its quiet as can be.... very very happy.

Mind you, if you get hit with a hard cross wind, its going to make some noise, but nothing like i'm sure its doing now.

Mike
Old 02-07-2007, 01:04 PM

I found that the tow mirrors make a lot of noise, too. I had my door seals replaced yet I could still hear the air noise. One day I folded in the mirrors and drove the truck at highway speeds and the noise went away.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:36 PM

no warrantee for me,
reputable dealer in the area not an option
body shops questionable
I guess I would need help in this area

I bought new weather strip
and the filler strip that came out in 06 to fill the one inch gap between the windshield and door
adjusted doors in tighter
it is much better, but still not acceptable
Old 02-07-2007, 01:45 PM

I have that same problem, when there is a cross wind it is about enough to drive you crazy, I am going to try and align the doors, that is a good idea

Kevin
Old 02-07-2007, 01:54 PM

10 hrs driving from PHX to Ely, NV 50mph head wind whole way = very agitated wife and myself. not fun. My weather stripping needs re placed on the DS, but this was not the cause of this expierence. This particular drive was like being stuck in a turbine tunnel. we both had ear plugs in.

I think Genos has a weather stripping replacement kit, if memory serves me right. on no wind days i get a crackling sound at speeds over 45mph on the DS. I have had my doors re aligned it help for about 10k, now the sound is back on windy days. ONLY thing I truly dislike about my truck.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:06 AM

i found that if you put your vents on Fresh air it helps some..my DS says they don't hear what i am talking about.... figures they already replaced the WS once looks like i need to get it into the body shop.....
Old 02-08-2007, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Agades
anyone come up with an effective way to stop the annoying wind noise in the doors when driving in a cross wind yet?
That's what the radio is for! On my old truck everytime a new noise started I just turned up the radio even louder!
Old 02-08-2007, 01:20 PM

this is a totally unacceptable problem that their should be a simple fix for if we could only get someone to design a proper weather strip that actually fills the gap between the door and cab
Old 02-08-2007, 01:30 PM

I found a couple that had the new weatherstripping and the door was aligned as best as it could be and still made noise. Fixed it by marking the area where the wind was coming in and then building up the weatherstipping by putting some putty behind it until the noise was gone.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:16 PM

Ive put a roll of weather strip behind the top part of the big strip (if that make sense) pushing it out away from the cab and helping to seal the tops of the doors
at 80 mph both doors suck open with out any wind
the tops of the doors have about a 1/4" gap that acts like an air scoop
I need some kind of strip that seals or plugs that 1/4" gap at the top
Old 02-11-2007, 06:33 PM

Look at the added and changed weather stripping on the '07. I will be talking to the dealer soon about it. Does anyone have a problem with the '07 and wind noise?
Old 02-11-2007, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Highway 4x4
Look at the added and changed weather stripping on the '07. I will be talking to the dealer soon about it. Does anyone have a problem with the '07 and wind noise?
The 06's also have the changed weather stripping and I think it is much quieter than my dad's 03 was.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by 06dually
The 06's also have the changed weather stripping and I think it is much quieter than my dad's 03 was.
It definately is. The 06 has an extra strip if you look at it from the front(windshield side). If there was no problem, then why did they improve it by adding the front seal and making it quieter?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:16 AM

I already bought the new strip from 06/07 and installed it on my 03
screw holes lined up and everything
it did help a lot
but not fixed
theres still a 1/4" gap at the top of the door

Quick Reply: wind noise - doors