3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

why not a hood scoop

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 11:27 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Heres what perplexes me... we have tested a few variations of intake tubes of my own design and that baffle is definately there for a reason. I think it is trying to do perhaps a lesser effective air straightening of what the TAG does.

The tapered pipe or tube has merit as long as the curves we run into are taken into consideration. For each curve or change in inner diameter, there becomes a change in flow. Having that change in flow work in our favor is the key/goal.
So if we can get a less curved supply then a velocity stack would REALLY help a lot. If we are stuck with the 90's that are in the system to get air to the turbo [its tight between the stock turbo and the oil filter] then we have to take advantage of those curves to get it to benefit as opposed to it working against us.

This brings me over to the intake horn and why does it have so many bottlenecks and changes in shape? It does not matter a lot until the supply of air is straightened out to that point. Theres a few other restrictions before the intercooler and through the intercooler before the intake horn becomes an issue.

I think the fitment of the components dictated how this would work. A turbo will negate some of the issues. We have proven that our ram air design actually takes some of the stress off the stock turbo at highway speeds under load.

Smooth air flow does not always mean effective results either.

Scottynotblowinghotair
Old 02-11-2004, 02:57 PM
JKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...I wasn't thinking that far yet Scotty . Turbulence is good for atomization through carbs or at the cylinder allowing your fuel to mix with the air charge better.

I think we would have to test different diameters, radii and lengths of velocity stacks to find the right combo. I agree with you (Scotty) 100% on that.

I just thought of something that would eliminate all 90's and miss the oil filter...see this thread is good! I am actually thinking ....It could have a slight taper or not and a velocity stack built in. However, I do not know if the flow would be much better than the torque tube and I have no way of testing. This idea seems logical to me and you (Scotty) may have thought of this already. I also do not understand air flow through complex shapes....I would like to discuss this with you Scotty via PM. Interested?

JKE
Old 02-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by JKE
...I wasn't thinking that far yet Scotty . Turbulence is good for atomization through carbs or at the cylinder allowing your fuel to mix with the air charge better.

I think we would have to test different diameters, radii and lengths of velocity stacks to find the right combo. I agree with you (Scotty) 100% on that.

I just thought of something that would eliminate all 90's and miss the oil filter...see this thread is good! I am actually thinking ....It could have a slight taper or not and a velocity stack built in. However, I do not know if the flow would be much better than the torque tube and I have no way of testing. This idea seems logical to me and you (Scotty) may have thought of this already. I also do not understand air flow through complex shapes....I would like to discuss this with you Scotty via PM. Interested?

JKE
sure!
Old 02-11-2004, 10:49 PM

Here is the functional hood I got for Ghost Rider.

Here is a link: Keystone Good Hoods
Old 02-12-2004, 05:06 AM
JKE

Bob that will look outstanding on your truck. I would like to see a picture when you are complete. If you don't mind.

Scotty, You have PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:39 AM

Fortunately in NC you can still carry a side arm so long as it is visible. Makes no sense to me and I never see any concrete cowboys "representing" on the streets. It is however easy to get a concealed carry permit-w-proper background check and hours of instruction. I will be doing so soon so I can be legal. In a vehicle a gun is fine so long as it is visible when Mr. Police man walks up to a CDT to write him a 40 mph over the speed limit ticket. I had mine around 100 yesterday and it was like going fifty!
Anyway I am now thinking that smoothing out the intake tract and installing an efficient element might be the good way from a bang for the buck stand point. I really like the venturi idea and will use it if I can fabricate an intake tract. Even engine induced vacuum will speed up-w-a narrowing tube toward the turbo. I really need some DIY fittings to play with.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:36 AM
JKE

Right on...we just start at the filter and design our way back to the intake horn. Things will get much more difficult after the turbo I think - JKE
Old 02-12-2004, 10:30 AM

jke - yOU HAVE SOME NERVE BEATING MY HEELS
Old 02-12-2004, 11:56 AM
JKE

come again? unfortunately something I have posted must be misunderstood. Just typing back and forth on the thread is all. I will apologize in advance for anything that may have upset or offended you. I hope that the apology is accept.

JKE
Old 02-12-2004, 02:35 PM

OOOPS - "my bad" as those-w-non gray hair say. I was actually referring to your profile where it says U are from Clemson SC and if I am not mistaken Clemson beat my Tar Heels. Just idle banter. I have seen posts in other forums where individuals where offended by such and such a post or reply and believe me my skin is thicker than most plus you never mentioned a single thing that could have been conscrewed as offensive. I enjoy your posts and those of others as well.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:41 PM
JKE

AHHH... sorry for the my misunderstanding...we will get whipped by Miami every year from now so, that will make up for it....Probably in trouble with Georgia Tech too....ouch ...maybe something new will come out of this thread in the future. You never know so, keep your eyes open....JKE
Old 02-13-2004, 08:37 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Maybe Ma MOPAR needs to come out with an "Air-Grabber" hood for our CTD's.......how many of you remember those ?
Greg
Old 02-13-2004, 09:06 PM

That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about! Air grabber that opens-w-high boost