3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Where to put the hook?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where to put the hook?

I have a 2WD auto, so it has to go on a flatbed when the lift pump craps out. The question is where on the truck to attach the big hook to pull it up the ramp without damaging anything? I do have tow hooks and a hitch, but those will make for a very steep cable angle towards the end of the pull which might overload the suspension or bend something. Thanks, guys!
Old 01-25-2006, 07:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are T hook slots on each side of the frame between the front bumper and suspension. I know since mine had to go on a rollback when the hydroboost fitting cracked.

MikeyB
Old 01-25-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know from experience as a tow truck operator that any good tow operator can find a j-hook spot on any vehicle. It is what the vehicle gets tied down with when it gets transported from the factory to the dealership. Every single vehicle has these, some are easier than others but on a truck they are pretty easy to get to and find. You should have no problem finding them and using them.
Now being worried about the hitch being at too much of an angle when getting close to the front of the bed I wouldn't worry about it. When you are getting that far up on the bed it is pretty easy to just leave it on the bed, pick up the bed and relieve the angle you are pulling up. So there is less stress toward the end of the loading process. But I can't say that I ever had to do that since there is typically no problem getting the vehicle up that far.

NEVER use the tow hooks for winching onto a flatbed. They are intended for straight pulling between two vehicles. When you throw in a winch and a stationary mounting point you are asking for trouble. The tow hooks won't be able to handle the angle of the pull when put under alot of stress. I have never used them and never will.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:34 PM
tcb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if i had my guess, i would say more never go bad than do. think positive.

tim