3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Whats done and whats not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats done and whats not?

Buying any used truck is worrysome, but buying an 03ho ctd is really begginning to freak me out.
I can't get any read on what was maintained on this truck. Only got 25k on it and oil change record is intact, but that's about it. Were there any reflashes supposed to be done on an 03 with a build date of 6/03?
In a previous post it was reccommended I change the punkn juice out of both diffs.
What kind of mpg are you guys getting with 3:73 autos?
Thanks
The Domie
Old 01-04-2005, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought mine just about like yours, '03 CTD with 26k. Just after I bought it, I took it to the local Dodge dealer and bought the electronic key fobs and had that feature installed on the truck. The original owner was not know to me, but when they put the VIN number in their computer, it showed that the original owner had taken the truck in to another out of town dealership and had 2 recalls performed on the truck.

I was not worried about his maintenance, the truck showed it had been meticulously cared for and I just hit the 30k mark and had all factory recommended maintenance done.

Around town I get about 16mpg, Highway at 70mph about 19mpg. I also have a 26ft travel trailer and when I pull that I will still get about the in town mileage.

The only thing I find annoying as you can read about this on many other posts is the 72mph vibe. Mine starts about 68 and gets really loud and vibrating at precisely the magical 72mph. I have not taken it in for this because I have read on here that most people don't get satisfaction from the dealer on trying to fix the problem.

You can use this link to find out TSB's on these trucks.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/index.html
Old 01-05-2005, 02:11 AM

Domie,

You should be allright with the truck. I am sure that you would be able to see if the truck was abused. Get the vin# like Rick said and call a Dodge dealer, they should be able to run it for you. And your still under factory warranty, 70,000 miles on the drivetrain/transmission and 100,000 on the Cummins. If the truck is clean, and the price is right, buy it. You might want to check the tranny fluid, that is all I can think of, but you should be fine. The 03 HO (It is an HO? Make sure!) CTD's, seem to be the best of the bunch mechanically from what I have seen, other then the 70 mph drone. I had it, but found a leveling kit and DPP 4in exhaust cancelled it out. I know mine performs flawlessly, and I have made some serious changes to mine. It's actually better then stock, kinda like a Singer sewing machine, nice and smooooooooooooooooth.

The tsb's that I had done on mine, were the transmission (an electrical plug, possible road salt damage, 10 minute repair/inspection) and the in cab grab handles came loose, both replaced. There was a power steering line replacement to fix the drone, I didn't need it. And an alternator bracket replacement, didn't need that either. That is all I know of on our trucks, no reflashes. And I have the same build as yours, June of 03.

As far as mileage on a 4x4, the best mileage I recorded was 20.4 MPG in the Fall of the year. Now that was stock, tires and all, and I kept my foot out of it. With my foot in it, stock, I was right around 18 mpg, hwy/city. As the truck sits now, I am getting 15 mpg on the winter blend fuel. 16.9 mpg with non-winter blend #2 with my foot in it. Those numbers are all hand calculated.

Hope this helps, and give us some more info on the truck. Are you buying from a private party or a non DC dealer? Let us know.

Mike
Old 01-05-2005, 06:29 AM

Have two friends with 03s with what I call higher mileage.Only thing both had in common was a drone.The powersteering hose took care of that.One is a auto 2 wd 3.73 and gets low 20s at 70 plus hiway.70k or so on it.Same brakes,tires,fliuds except oil/filters.He had a d/s seat lumbar replaced under warranty.The other is a 6 speed,4x4,3.73 gears.same brakes(140plusk)tires went 90k,only changed drivetrain fliuds ONCE at 90k.It gets near or slightly more then 20mpg hwy non towing of course.He did tow 3 horses from Ohio to Georgia recently and got 16.4 by overhead driving under 70 mpg.He trys to stay around 65/68.Both these trucks are still TIGHT and drive like thay had 14k on them.No water leaks,rattles,neither have ever been aligned etc.same bulbs,belt etc.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:31 PM

Thanks guys;
The truck is spotless inside and out (and underneath). It seems to have been well cared for. Carfax report is clean, but the guy must have done his own maintainance cause there is no dealer records available for any visits. 1 owner, price was right, so I put the deposit down!
I picked the 03 because of what I have read here and on TDR. Seems as though the consensus was that the 03 model (late build 48re) was one of the best (mechanically) dodge has produced. I wasn't looking for the most powerful truck I could but, just the most dependable.
Now I need a course at diesel 101 cause I'm in the dark!

The Domie

03 qc ho (I'm sure)ctd patriot blue auto,48re 3:73 lim. slip 4x4 Mostly stock except the nose guard and side steps.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:59 PM

Seriously by using the overhead display to check instant MPG and experimenting with engine RPM's and quick upshifts, you should be able to average 18 MPG on a full tank. 1500 RPM's = about 50 MPH on my 4:10 and I average 18.5-19 running the same route empty. When the price got over $2/gallon I stopped caring who I got passed by.
But that was before it turned cold and I began warming the truck up.
Nat
If you climb under it, you should easily be able to see the rubber hose insert along the trans cooling line if you're interested in verifying that TSB was completed. And if that one was completed the other trans TSB was probably done at the same time that was to add seals to the ECM (shift module) to keep out moisture.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:23 AM

Domie,

Sounds like a real nice truck! Patriot Blue is one sharp color too. May you have many happy miles!

And hold on to your wallet! You will more then likely discover that you and your local UPS driver will become very good friends.

Mike