3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

What tires to get

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What tires to get

I have a 04.5 CTD 2500 4x4 that came with Michelin 265-70-17 street tires. The time is coming for me to replace them. But I'm having difficulty finding a decent replacement. I'm looking for something with an off-road tread design but still has an "E" rating for load range.

I use the truck primarily for work. Lots of towing and hauling of heavy stuff. I've exceeded the truck's GVRW rating many times, thus the need to maintain the load range "E" rating.

Has anyone found a decent replacement?

I've also thought about going one size larger as the speedometer reads just a little fast figuring that would bring a little closer to real.

Thanks
Ken
Old 05-17-2006, 10:31 AM

Road tires? I've had really good results with the E rated Bridgestone Dueler Revos. Cooper also makes some really good on/off tires IMO.

Alot of guys will say BFGs, but personally I hate them. Sidewalls are too weak. Those are for looks on pavement princesses.

Take a look at the swampers if you want more of an offroad tire.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by shortbus
Road tires? I've had really good results with the E rated Bridgestone Dueler Revos. Cooper also makes some really good on/off tires IMO.

Alot of guys will say BFGs, but personally I hate them. Sidewalls are too weak. Those are for looks on pavement princesses.

Take a look at the swampers if you want more of an offroad tire.
BFG's are for "pavement princesses"??
Old 05-17-2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by MoparKen
I have a 04.5 CTD 2500 4x4 that came with Michelin 265-70-17 street tires. The time is coming for me to replace them. But I'm having difficulty finding a decent replacement. I'm looking for something with an off-road tread design but still has an "E" rating for load range.

I use the truck primarily for work. Lots of towing and hauling of heavy stuff. I've exceeded the truck's GVRW rating many times, thus the need to maintain the load range "E" rating.

Has anyone found a decent replacement?

I've also thought about going one size larger as the speedometer reads just a little fast figuring that would bring a little closer to real.

Thanks
Ken
I have the bridgestone A/T dueler revos ( 265-70r-17 E-rated)great traction over the stock michelins and just about as quiet on the road.coobie
Old 05-17-2006, 06:42 PM

I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers. They've been on for about 3 months. They are 305/70 R16 but I believe they make the tire in a 17. They have the E load range and look fairly aggressive but are amazingly quiet on the road. I switched from BFG ATs and I'll never go back. We lost a part of our road a month back with all the rain and I was forced to go "wheelin" to get home. The tires performed incredibly good in the mud.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:29 PM

Why not try the Nitto DUNE grappler..?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:51 PM

Another vote for the Terra Grapplers...love them.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the Michelin LTX A/S, which is a dumb tire for our trucks considering that Michelin could have provided the M/S. I siped the A/S early on as they wandered a bit in heavier rain, especially on roads with grooves. They were ok in snow that wasn't too deep, and worthless on frost, much less ice.

Recently I picked up some Goodyear Wrangler 'Silent Armor', and like them so far. They're 265/70-17, load range E, have a 50k treadwear warranty, what looks like a 'light A/T' tread or an aggresive highway tread, and are even severe snow rated. Although the Michelin A/S seemed to be designed to be quiet, the Silent Armor is quieter, enough for my wife to notice. They do well in heavy rain, seem to turn easier, and I seem to get a bit worse mileage in town but a bit better on the highway. You feel the road more, but they're smooth if the road is. The tire guys said that the tires balanced with little weight. I have the impression that the sidewalls are stiffer than the Michelins as the Michelins would pitch the truck a bit when hitting bumps on turns, something that the Goodyears don't seem to do as the truck just stays it's course. I currently run 65 psi up front and 60 psi in the rear, which is what I used with the Michelins around town.

The Silent Armor seem to be about the only Load range E with a 50k warranty and a severe snow rating, but they aren't cheap. If they last I'll get another set, unless someone else offers the same attributes and performance at a lower price.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Chapter President

Thumbs up BFG's here

I have 285/70/17 BFG A/T's on my truck and they perform awesome. Excellent on and off road traction. They are a D rated tire but have the load capacity of an E rated tire. I pull a 10,000lb 5th wheel and have absolutely no problems with weak side walls

[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 05-17-2006, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by shortbus
Those are for looks on pavement princesses.
I wonder how pretty I look in my truck while driving, I have noticed a lot of guys looking at my truck

I've never had a problem with BFG. Michillens are great for millage, father got 70k out of his M/S (drove slow though) Depends on what you want. I can tell you that super swampers on a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, won't last that long, and you can't tow that much weight with them either. I don't think that many people want that aggressive of a tire.

I've had great luck with BFG's, never had a flat with them, good life out of them. The more ply's you have in the side wall, the stiffer it is. All what you want. I have heard good things about the Nitto terra grappers though. Still not sure which way I want to go.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:22 PM

Just got my Nittos installed today, great highway ride so far I like them.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:21 AM

Have not seen these yet buit they look cool on the website 285 Dune grappler by nitto and they are e rated also supposedly bridgestone is comin out with 285 and315 in 17 s sometime soon that is what I would get especially if they are E they were awesome on my chevy
Old 05-18-2006, 12:29 AM

I just replaced my bald street slicked michelins with a Mastercraft Courser CT's.. Ive got almost 3k miles on them so far, and they still look awesomely brand new..
I went with the factory 265/70/17's
Scott
Old 05-18-2006, 12:43 AM

i have been looking hard at tires this last week for my dually

i settled on a set of bfg, rugged trail t/a

mud and snow rated, e load, partly for looks, partly for cost, they were recomended by others on the board, i have a buddy with 17k on his and they still have nearly all their tread left, he will easily get 40k out of them, other have claimed 48k out of them.

prices in my area
revos: $1237 plus tax
michelin ltx: $1286 plus tax
cooper atr: $1285 plus tax
big O touring: $1279 plus tax
bfg rugged trail ta: $1002 plus tax

$235 dollars cheaper than the next competitor can't see the benefit of spending the extra money

bfg make a tire called the commercial t/a, nice aggressive tire with the highest mud and snow rating of almost any tire on the road 70k mile rated tire for commercial trucks, they should have 17 inch rim sizes out next year
they will be my next set

check them out here
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap...tatraction.jsp
Old 05-18-2006, 01:03 AM

Another vote for the NITTO'S great tire and the 17's have a load rating of 3415. There website Say's 3145, but I just checked the tire and it Say's 3415 right on it..

Quick Reply: What tires to get