3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Weird vibrating sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird vibrating sound

Hello everyone new here! I think this site is great tons of cool info!!! My first question is theres a little pump or motor or something right in front of the coolant reservoir on the passenger side under the hood. Any way this thing keeps turning on and off randomly, I can hear it in the cab and hear it and feel it when I pop the hood. So what is it and why is it doing that??? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-10-2007, 04:09 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Welcome to this great site. Lots of good info and great folks. Welllllll, on second thoughts, maybe you need to stay away from one or two of them as they tend to lead you astray.
Are you really sure that the noise is coming from ahead of the reservoir? Check if maybe it is from behind. Maybe what you are hearing is the lift pump?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:20 PM

Well its definately some mechanism in front of the coolant rezzy and by in front I mean closer to the front of the truck than the coolant rezzy. Its a little black pump or motor or something, its got a wire harness going to it and then 2 tubes coming from it to each wheel. So I dont know what it is??? Any ideas????
Old 03-10-2007, 11:23 PM

Btw whats the lift pump?
Old 03-10-2007, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by pitdawg
Btw whats the lift pump?
That's the pump that get's the fuel from the tank to yer injection pump. I think yers is external and that some of the newer ones are inside the fuel cell (don't quote me on the location part).
Old 03-10-2007, 11:42 PM

Cool thanks, that doesnt sound like its the lift pump since 2 tubes go from it to the wheels. Any ideas what this might be???
Old 03-11-2007, 08:45 PM

If its going to the wheels then it could be the ABS pump, but not sure. Since I thought the pump would be closer to the brake system.

Or it could be the Air Conditioner Reciever Dryer(Accumulator).
It would explain the on and off feeling. Since the A/C does that.
Does one tube go down to the frame and another inside the cab?
If so tend it is your A/C Reciever Drier (Accumulator)
Old 03-11-2007, 10:00 PM

Seems like one tube for sure goes down to the front right wheel, and the other splits off going up behind possibly into the cab and then goes down somewhere below the driver side battery. I think I found a small hole worn through it down around there so it may be some kind of a vacuum leak and that might be why it keeps turning on and off. Going to the dealership on Wednesday to find out what the deal is. Hopfully I wont get ripped off!!!