3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

upgrading the infinity stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rockdonon
schv, The o6 is the same and if you don't add the extra bass, replacing just the front 6X9's doesn't work. For some reason when you add the internal amp bass it seems to make the other speakers stronger. I have done 2 of them, 04 & 06 and both installs turned out great. The 04 you can tap into any door speaker but the 06 and newer you have to tap the sub into the front 6X9speakers.

Makes perfect sense (at least now) tapping into the front door 6x9's to drive the sub. My orginal plan was to install Kappa's in the front and rear doors (6.5's in the rear doors) and let the sub handle deep bass. I haven't installed the rear speakers yet. My sub is self powered, so I was hoping that they would have supplied full bandwidth to the rears. Apparently not. The more I fool with this "computer" amp, the less I like it.

What exactly were the components you used?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:05 PM

schv, do you already have your rear door speakers? If not I would get some 5.25's or you will have to do some cutting. Although that might not be an issue. And I have to give you guys credit for working around the factory amp and head unit - way to much effort for me. I yanked all the factory and replaced it with the gear in my sig.

Darren
Old 06-06-2007, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Strokedelky
... And I have to give you guys credit for working around the factory amp and head unit - way to much effort for me. I yanked all the factory and replaced it with the gear in my sig.

Darren
This from a guy who's done tons of upgrades to a brand new truck!

We'd all like to go for the super-deluxe $5000 sound system, the $4,000 6" lift, the 37" tires, the dual turbos, big injectors, etc etc....

... but allas, it all comes down to what a guy can afford!
Old 06-08-2007, 12:13 AM

I should have seen that coming! I only wish I had that kind of money, everything on the truck I have had to install myself and save for to afford. But seeing that insurance from the last truck paid for some of this truck it kind of helped. And if only DC would build these trucks right from the start we wouldn't have to do the upgrades!

Darren
Old 06-08-2007, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Strokedelky
.... And if only DC would build these trucks right from the start we wouldn't have to do the upgrades!

Darren

Naawww! Then what "fun" would we have!?
You've done lots to your truck, that's great, I've been spending way too much on mine lately too, I'm spending all my overtime money, when the smart thing to do would be to put it towards the mortgage, but that just seams kinda boring!!
Old 06-08-2007, 07:11 PM

I hear ya, Fisherguy. No more spending for me either I am just starting to build my house so the playing has to stop.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:20 PM

The best bet for using a stock head unit and adding amps is to use the clean sweep from jl audio, its not cheap but is well worth the money if you want good sounding music from a stock deck. if you do some searching on a car audio site you may find bypass harness to bypass the factory amp,but that maybe for adding an aftermarket deck. Ive seen them for other flavors of trucks. Also just changing the factory speakers in some cases will make a vast improvement so if you dont need the power I would try speakers first, then go from there
Old 06-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Banned

Not only does JL sell an adaptor, so does Rockfordfosgate. Check out http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...s.asp?cat_id=1.

Both of these units are spendy but to keep the stock radio and add anything good, these seem to be the way to go. I am wanting to do the same as you as I have a pile of good stereo stuff and want too keep the stock radio as it looks better than adding an aftermarket head unit.