3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

upgrading the infinity stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upgrading the infinity stereo

is it possible to add better amps to the stock head unit? I really like the stereo controls in the steering wheel, and would like to keep the head unit as a result. i thought I read somewhere here that the infinity stuff uses some odd factory amp? Id like to get cleaner power and add a sub, and would like to avoud using the speaker input/outputs as the source to the amps if I can avoid it.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:51 PM

You can get adapters for most aftermarket head units now that will allow you to keep use of the steering wheel controls. I'm not sure about adding amps to the stock head unit. I know that it is a pain to add an aftermarket head unit to the infinity system. I have an Alpine dvd player and have been waiting for a month and a half for a wiring harness that will turn the factory amp on. I was told it is on back order.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:48 PM

Its pretty easy to add an amp to any stereo. your problem maybe you will have is to be limited on your amp choices to only infinity. I heard the newer cars and trucks are a pain in the rear. It sounds like you want to use rca's instead of cutting wires so you may have to go to something like an rf modulator. speaker wires go in rca's come out. I dont think thats the proper name but I think i am close. Also your alarm on your truck might be tied into your audio. just things to think about and would take it to an audio shop to get it done. and not one like circuit city or best buy. hope this helps alittle
Old 06-04-2007, 07:55 PM

These are some pictures of my audio ystem in my durango just to show how complicated some of the wiring gets

Old 06-05-2007, 12:03 AM

Ive done plenty of stereo/amp installs, as well as lots of custom fab. i just dont konw much about the infnity system or dodge stuff
Old 06-05-2007, 03:07 AM

you have two options to keep steering wheel controls

you can keep your stock head and use a jl audio clean sweep ( http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=94 ) to integrate an amp

or

you can use a PAC SWI-X ( http://www.crutchfield.com/S-y4CWnqg....asp?i=127swix ) to use an aftermarket deck and still retain factory steering wheel controls

I have the PAC SWI-X, its a great way to keep the factory steering wheels controls and ditch the OEM deck. I mounted the IR device in the overhead console and it works great other than when the deck itself is directly in the sun (ie. sunroof open, etc.)

hope this helps.

-rS
Old 06-05-2007, 01:33 PM

do you still have the ability to control the sirius, volume, switch between cd/radio/sirius, etc? or is that all programmable?
Old 06-05-2007, 02:04 PM

I have been very pleased with keeping the stock Infinity system but replacing the front 6X9 speakers (I used polk) and add a bazooka tube with internal amp. I have done two quad cabs and everybody thinks I have a big $$$ system.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by plug ugly
is it possible to add better amps to the stock head unit? I really like the stereo controls in the steering wheel, and would like to keep the head unit as a result. i thought I read somewhere here that the infinity stuff uses some odd factory amp? Id like to get cleaner power and add a sub, and would like to avoud using the speaker input/outputs as the source to the amps if I can avoid it.
Put money into making it go faster
Old 06-05-2007, 03:39 PM

the speakers certainly are not clean and crisp, especaially for supposedly having an extra tweeter.

Id really like to add a nice sub/amp combo and a nice clean amp for the speakers, and try keeping the stock speakers. I ran that style set up in my superduty, and even with the stock door speakers it sounded great. typically, in my limited experience, most stock speakers are adequate, just under powered.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by rockdonon
I have been very pleased with keeping the stock Infinity system but replacing the front 6X9 speakers (I used polk) and add a bazooka tube with internal amp. I have done two quad cabs and everybody thinks I have a big $$$ system.
Got pics? Interested in the bazooka, I want more bass but don't want to lose any under seat storage space.
Just a little more, I know most serious guys would poo poo the bazooka...
Old 06-05-2007, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by rockdonon

Not sure about the `06's, but on my truck I installed a pair of Infinity Kappa 6x9's in the front doors, only to find out the original front door speakers don't get any mids or highs sent to them. Apparently, the computerized amp sends only bass to the 6x9's (and the original speakers are only woofers - no mid or high drivers). I'd like to find a cable to bypass the amp altogether and just run the speakers off the head unit (the Kappa's are way more efficient than the stock speakers and wouldn't need much power). Also, I installed an MTX Thunderform sub, drawing signal from the rear speaker leads, and it turns out deep bass is limited to these speakers by the amp. I'm really hoping there's an amp bypass cable available for the stock head unit but for use with aftermarket speakers..... I wouldn't have a problem if the dash speakers didn't work at all with that setup. Something tells me I'll end up having to wire it myself, or maybe even go to an after market head unit.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:42 AM

No pics of the Bazooka or the Boats & Motors just the fish. I just put the Bazooka on the floor behind the driver seat (kids are gone). I agree that the poo poo Bazooka won't rattle the neighbors windows or is not good for some of the "RAP" but is good for everything else. The Bass Link is more $$ but will give you Mucho Bass and take up less space.It also is self amp.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:49 AM

For the SRT 10, the wiring diagram show sub woof wires going from the amp to under the center console where the factor sub attaches to the back of it. I wonder if the contacts are available on all the Infinity amps?

Pete
Old 06-06-2007, 11:06 AM

schv, The o6 is the same and if you don't add the extra bass, replacing just the front 6X9's doesn't work. For some reason when you add the internal amp bass it seems to make the other speakers stronger. I have done 2 of them, 04 & 06 and both installs turned out great. The 04 you can tap into any door speaker but the 06 and newer you have to tap the sub into the front 6X9speakers.

Quick Reply: upgrading the infinity stereo