3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Twin Headlight question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin Headlight question?

I recently changed my head lights to sonar projector headlights. This headlight set up changes the single factoy bulb to a low beam projector H1 (HID) and a seperate H1 high beam. The problem I have is that when I switch to high from low the ballast has to start warming up and there is a period of low visibility driving. Roughly about 2-3 seconds worth. Is there a way to make the low beams come on when the high beams are on? That way the ballast never shuts off between high and low. I use my high beams driving down country back roads and the ballast will completely cool down before I will encounter another car for the most part. I have a 04.5 2500. Thank you.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:28 PM

you can add a simple automotive relay. Connect the power wire from your hibeam to the coil of the relay, and connect the lowbeam power thru the other open circuit of the relay.
add a 2nd power feed from the battery to the low beam light thru your relay as well as leave the low beam operating the same as it is right now-run from the trucks canbus system.

When you switch over to your hi beams, it will energize the coil of the relay at the same time and you wil be able to keep both lights on at the same time.

This only will work if you do not have daytime running lights though-but if you are in texas, that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:27 PM

Will this cause anything to burn up in the stock wiring harness? Forgive me for I know nothing about relays or how they work. I don't have DRL's so that shouldn't cause a problem. Is there a diagram for this relay? Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 AM

There is no problem with the wiring or anything of sort. I did it on my truck, but thats when I found out that DRL's mess with it-so I had to remove it.

PM me your email and I can shoot you a schematic.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:53 PM

Got it. Thanks. I will try to pick one up tomorrow and wire it up. Should I make a separate relay setup for each side, or run one relay for both of the headlights? Thanks.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:57 PM

It can be done off of 1 relay-but the wires would have to run between the headlight assemblies-

In my case-i ran 1 relay & 12gauge wire to power both headlights. Get some split loom as well-to make everything neat & tidy.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:27 PM

Thank you. You have helped me tremendously. Hopefully I will be able to wire it all up successfully.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:40 PM

So I installed 55w 5000k in both. I ran the relay and I removed all the capacitors from the system. Here is what I get. Truck off (of course everything works perfect) lows work alone and th highs trip the relay and run both no lag in the low beams. Truck running, no problems with the lows, when I click the high beams it throws a lamp out but continues to power the high an lows. Do I possibly need to install resistors in the highs? When I switch back to low th lamp out goes off eventually.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:29 PM

[QUOTE=IPDiesel;2948108]There is no problem with the wiring or anything of sort. I did it on my truck, but thats when I found out that DRL's mess with it-so I had to remove it.QUOTE]

Did you ever figure out a suitable source to energize the relay? I would like to keep my LBs on when the HBs are on just for the extra light (like almost every other vehicle in the world) I am thinking that the front marker (park) lights would work OK. No "marker only" but with DRLs, you don't have that anyway.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:02 PM

The problem would be as soon as you turn on your parking lights the high beams would come on. I don't think that is the route you were looking for. What I did is pulled the headlights out and tested to see which wire was hot when the highbeams were on. Once I found that I tapped into it as the trigger wire to the relay. It won't draw any extra power from the headlights due to it being the trigger only. Then the relay gets power and ground directly from the power. Then the power out of the relay gets ran to the low beams. Now when you switch to high beams the relay is energized and it sends power to the lows while the highs are on. The stock relay that is already in the truck will now be closed preventing any power from feeding back to the vehicle.

This is working well on my truck and I'm also running 55w HID's in both with no troubles now. Beware that it is most likely illegal to drive down the road with both on. Best wishes and feel free to ask if you have questions.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:41 PM

The HBs would not be affected. The parking lights energize the relay and the relay is a SPDT so that it disconnects the factory power and connects the new power whenever the relay is energized.
With the headlight switch off, DRLs are energized. These are the HB filament. In park, the LBs are on full power. Not sure about the DRLs and will have to check. With the headlights on, the LBs will be on full power always and the HBs whenever I hit the dimmer switch. I would use two relays to preserve the feature that turns one side of the DRLs off when that side signal light is on.
It better not be illegal to have both filaments lit, because every other vehicle I own does that. I know that there is a regulation against having fog lights and HBs on at the same time, although I can't think why.