3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Turn Signal Problems (multi-function switch)

Old 07-26-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn Signal Problems (multi-function switch)

I know I've seen it around, but can't find the post for a problem folks have with the Dodge Ram multi-function switch.

Last winter I noticed sometimes when changing lanes I'd hit the left/right turn signal and both would light. It became more and more frequent until it got to when I hit the left turn signal, the right would flash. When I hit the right, the right would flash. Not every time, just itermittently. Sometimes I could push the switch a little further and the correct turn signal would light.

Searching on the internet, I found that some experiened relief by adjusting the tilt. I tried that a month or so ago and it cleared up the problem... momentarily.

Last week it started again... I noticed it on the way to work and pushed the switch a little further to get the correct signal to flash, but on the way home I had no left turn signal no matter what I did.

I'd read some were replacing the switch for about $80 or so. Some posts said they were checking connections and using dielectric spray on the contacts.

This past weekend I removed the covers from the steering column... not a big deal. I then reseated (disconnected/reconnected) all the plugs on the switch, made sure all the connector pins were in the connectors, and pulled a little extra wire from under the dash (I used a zip tie to anchor it with a little slack in the harness).

So far, so good. Everything functions as it should... even with the wheel tilted back to it's original place. If the problem returns, I'll look into replacing the multi-function switch.

I thought I'd post for others with similar problems. Try reseating the connections before replacing the switch.

Total time: ~15 minutes
Tools needed: Torx screw driver

Remove the tilt **** and three torx screws from the bottom cover. The top/bottom covers snap apart/together. Pretty straight forward.

Good Luck!
John.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:08 PM

Please keep us updated on this problem. If you replace the switch I would like to know where you got it and how much. I am having the same problems. I will try to reseat everything as soon as I can.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:32 PM

I recived a letter from Dodge saying the warranty for the multi function switch was extended because of the problems with it. I think it's 100k.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:52 PM

My local dealer said the recall only applied to the one ton truck. I had the part guy run the part number and of course they are the same. They sold me the part for a little less than $50 out the door instead of the $120 the list price called for. It's a ten minute fix with a T-20 torx driver.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:57 PM

I was having the same problems. After replacing two switches myself from Dodge . I found a parts guy that knew what he was doing . He told me there was a different switch for the 06 3500 truck and would not sale me one. But Dodge gave it to me under a campaign for our trucks . He walked me over to a service advisor to make a appointment to have it installed and the advisor did not know there was a campaign on these trucks . That was in april and I have had no problems since .
Old 08-09-2011, 07:56 AM

i have a 05 and 06 3500. no issues with 06 but 05 wiper switch has a mind of its own when set on delay. sometimes it sweeps 1 time then 4-5 times. is that all part of the multi function switch. thanks.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:05 PM

1+ months later... I've had no problems with my turn signal switch.

My theory for the problem I was having... the connections probably had too much stress on them from the weight of the wire harness. I suspect that is why folks experience temporary relief after adjusting the tilt. The harness is not anchored solidly where it passes into the steering column.

Making sure all the connections were solid and pulling a little slack into the steering column then zip-tying it to something solid to prevent it from pulling on the connections seems to be the fix for me.

Good Luck!
John.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by birdboy
i have a 05 and 06 3500. no issues with 06 but 05 wiper switch has a mind of its own when set on delay. sometimes it sweeps 1 time then 4-5 times. is that all part of the multi function switch. thanks.
I've not experienced this specific issue with my Dodge. I have seen it on other vehicles... noteably my son's 1995 Ranger.

Yes, it is the multi-function switch. Could it be resolved with the same fix that took care of my turn signal issues? I don't know, but it's an easy (and free) try.

Good luck!
John.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:57 AM

i just bought my 3500 cummins 2004 and my problem similar but different
no turn signals in front and only right headlight comes on except if i hit the brights then i have a left headlight but no right headlight and on the rear i have both running lights but only a right brake light.
I am going to call the dealer and see if this is part of the recall issue as well as check the harness.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by steyr556
i just bought my 3500 cummins 2004 and my problem similar but different
no turn signals in front and only right headlight comes on except if i hit the brights then i have a left headlight but no right headlight and on the rear i have both running lights but only a right brake light.
I am going to call the dealer and see if this is part of the recall issue as well as check the harness.

Thanks.
Hi,
I'm having the exact same issue now. Did you find the problem and was it eventually fixed?

thanks,
John
Old 05-13-2012, 07:36 PM

I have a 06 2500 and my letter said 10 years or 150,000 miles on th m/f switch.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:47 PM

One year later and no turn signal issues.

John.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seams I may have the same problem on my new (to me) mega cab... I adjusted the tilt steering a couple days ago, and no prob since,,
But I will Do as K4jjm did and take it apart when I get a chance.

Thanks for posting the cure,, and the update.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:32 AM

Checking in to say my "new to me" 2003 started doing this a couple days ago.

Going to try the fix k4jjm shared with us. THANKS!!
Old 09-23-2013, 10:47 AM

Good luck!

Come back to report your outcome for others with the same issue.

Thanks,
John.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn Signal Problems (multi-function switch)