3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

TSB for belt chirp..the new part didn't fit!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've also heard that there is a TSB for the pulleys being misaligned, or something of that nature, that was causing belt shredding
No, I don't think so. I haven't read of one shredded belt victim that had this issue. A couple had tensioners replaced.

It is weird, though. My replacement has been fine for over two years and 20,000 miles (knock ALOT of wood ). I do check it weekly.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i thought turning the AC off before shutting off the motor made it not happen, that stops it in my 04

i thought it was the weight of the AC keeping spinning after the crank stopped the belt chirp.

i like it. all guys my work stand outside & fuss on cell phone, pace back & forth, so i cut AC on & wait for them to walk by.....then... CHIRP!
Old 10-05-2006, 11:35 PM

I was just in @ my dealer for 2 hrs.for the same thing.Its a replacement pulley on the Aulternater,with a ratchet drive built in.but they didn't have the tool to torque it properly,so now I'm waiting.Mine chirps loud every time I shut down,& some times it throws the belt off a groove ot two,& that's what shreds the belt.Mine fell of in a pile in my driveway on tuesday.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:04 AM

A nearly new '06 and I experience a chip about 25% of the time when I shut it down. Nothing that would/will cause me to make a special trip to the dealer.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by bigwheels94
I was just in @ my dealer for 2 hrs.for the same thing.Its a replacement pulley on the Aulternater,with a ratchet drive built in.but they didn't have the tool to torque it properly,so now I'm waiting.Mine chirps loud every time I shut down,& some times it throws the belt off a groove ot two,& that's what shreds the belt.Mine fell of in a pile in my driveway on tuesday.
Interesting that your dealer was able to get that far. Mine had the special tool, but claims the pulley just doesn't fit period! Seems everyone has their own tolerance of the CHIRP and some seem to be experiencing actual problems ie. the shredding of the belt. I can deal with that chirp if it stays just a chirp, but past experience has proven it can and did become a bigger problem. Sure would hate to lose a belt out in the boonies because I was to casual about "just a chirp"

Bob
Old 10-06-2006, 09:15 AM

Seems everyone has their own tolerance of the CHIRP and some seem to be experiencing actual problems ie. the shredding of the belt. I can deal with that chirp if it stays just a chirp, but past experience has proven it can and did become a bigger problem. Sure would hate to lose a belt out in the boonies because I was to casual about "just a chirp"
Thank you, that is EXACTLY the point of this thread, not whether or not you think the chirp is cool. To those of us that had our belts shredded, it ain't cool.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wexman
Thank you, that is EXACTLY the point of this thread, not whether or not you think the chirp is cool. To those of us that had our belts shredded, it ain't cool.
true. post up the PN of the Goodyear gatorback belt, and I think I will put a spare under the seat, tie wrap it to the jack or something.

being stranded is not good
Old 10-06-2006, 04:07 PM

I have 46,000 miles on the origanal belt and have had the "chirp" from day 1. There must be something more to the shredding of a belt then just the "Chirp" problem. I just checked mine after seeing this thread and it is still tight and in good shape. I don't accept the "chirp" as the lone reason a belt shreds. I would have to look everything over carefully and look for other problems. Then if I found nothing else, I might believe the "Chirp" theory. Just my 2 cents.....
Old 10-06-2006, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Naw, people have been having belt shredding problems for several years now with these trucks. It seems to have little or nothing to do with the chirp. There was an issue of something being misaligned and causing the belt to ride a groove or two off. It's like blaming ghosts for the power going out in your house while the pole transformer outside is getting struck by lightning and exploding in the night.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:52 PM

[QUOTE ]There was an issue of something being misaligned and causing the belt to ride a groove or two off.[/QUOTE]

In only a couple of instances. If you go back and read the threads (and I have posted in just about everyone of them here and on TDR since mine went in August 2004), only a couple of people had verified bad pullies or tensioners. MOST (me included) the dealer made some excuse like "installed wrong" or bad belt.

I don't accept the "chirp" as the lone reason a belt shreds. I would have to look everything over carefully and look for other problems.
I mostly agree. It is probably not the lone reason, but could be a contributing factor if you have a substandard belt to begin with.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Not to Hijack this thread but think about it....
over 7000 lbs, belt breaks, now: NO POWER STEERING AND NO POWER BRAKES.

Whatever the cause thing you don't want the belt to break and if the new pulley stops the problem so be it, "get er done" is all I can say. Mine broke and I had the above, makes for a very exciting ride for a short while. Needless to say got it replaced whatever the cost, time & place as truck was definatly unsafe and almost undrivable.

JMHO.....Don
Old 10-06-2006, 06:04 PM

Absolutely correct, Don.