3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Tonneau cover recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tonneau cover recommendation

I have decided to sell my shell and replace it with a tonneau cover. I would appreciate a recommendation. I have a slide in camper and it is too inconvenient to take the shell on and off and store it when I want to use my camper. What I would like is a tonneau cover that would be metal or other hard material, and easy and quick to remove. What do you suggest?
Old 09-25-2006, 10:30 PM

www.undercoverinfo.com

this is the answer to your problem. You can stand on it jump on it and it only weighs 58lbs. You can take it on and off by yourself. It is the greatest I have one.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at Undercover

I have an Undercover hard cover on mine (undercoverinfo.com). Weighs about 60 pounds or so. Is very strong I have stood on it weighing about 185 with no sag. on the web site they show a hockey team or something ALL standing on it. Was $599 plus tax locally.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:57 PM

Wink

Some more options are www.peragon.com & the Bak Rollback tonneau cover, you can look at the BAK @ www.autoanything.com. I have the Bak, it rolls up into a 10 X 10 inch box, at top of bed under back glass, it's spring loaded. If you have a gooseneck or ever plan to use one, you may like that option. It is around 825$ vs. a few hundred more for pace-edwards and others, but it is good quality and heavy duty. The Peragon folds accordion style to front of bed. If you haul much stuff these types may be handier. All of the metal tonneau covers make the truck look good to me. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:57 PM

Another Undercover Recommendation

I have had my Undercover since last December. I really like it. Has held up very well, looks like new still. It is very easy to remove and hang in the garage. My teenage daughter has tested the walk on it feature a number of times regardless of what I say. Takes 20 minutes to install and is considerably cheaper than the hard fiberglass. I know I had a SnugLid, it was purdy, but took a crane to take off.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:33 PM

How is the security of those undercovers? Are they lockable? Can you remove the front attachments from the outside?

Bill
Old 09-26-2006, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by billindenver
How is the security of those undercovers? Are they lockable? Can you remove the front attachments from the outside?

Bill
Double locks one on each side. Yes just remove the lock rings from the rear outside tabs. The hydralic cylinders have spring snap release and then they have brackets to snap into for removal. Two people 3-4 minutes and easy off all from outside. One person can do it alone, but it is an awkward thing to man handle no matter how much it weighs.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:00 AM

If you want a soft tonneau look at X-tang (Ex-tang?)...something like that. I had a hard tonneau on one of my trucks and it was a pain at times. This was from the fact it must be removed to put large objects in. If I go with a tonneau it will be a soft rollup style so I can use the bed for more things.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:12 AM

I have an Access soft cover.
Not cheap, but guaranteed for life.
Recomended in a Four Wheel drive mag...not sure which one....very happy with it....had it for a year and a half and woud buy another in a heart beat.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:07 AM

I just installed an Extang FullTilt tonneau on my Mega. It tilts up on gas cylinders like a hard tonneau, or rolls up like a soft one. Easy 1 man removal for camper use.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated. This is a great forum. I learn something every day!
Old 09-26-2006, 01:46 PM

Just beware of the hook and loop tonneau covers. If you leave the tonneau cover rolled up for long periods of time, the hooks will be damaged by all the stuff hitting it while driving and the sides will eventually fail to seal.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:05 PM

This is my second Truxedo roll up bed cover.I had the first on my 01 Ram 2500.
www.truxedo.com
Old 09-26-2006, 02:11 PM

When I got my tonneau cover I opted for the clamp on style vs. one of the drill mount. This lets me take everything off of it, when I need to use the bed, without having to worry about banging up the channels. Jut my $0.02
Old 09-26-2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by sweetwaterguy
What I would like is a tonneau cover that would be metal or other hard material, and easy and quick to remove.
The Undercover is what you want. It fits your description perfectly. I selected it after exhaustive review of all the commonly recommended tonneaus out there. Other products have various nice features but someone finally designed a tonneau cover the right way... and the result was the Undercover.

BTW, the folks at the factory are really nice too. I spent some time talking with the owner/president while evaluating everything.

My highest recommendation.

Quick Reply: Tonneau cover recommendation