3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

tinted windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tinted windows

Just wondering if anyone has ever checked into window that are tinted without using a film. Like the rear windows in trucks but just for the front instead. I called a couple of company's that make glass for limo's and one said it would be about 1500.00 for them to make DOT legal windows.Anyone else check or know anything about such a thing?
Old 06-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Soot For Brains!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive never checked into it but i know i wouldnt pay 1500 bucks for glass that doesnt have the film vs. them to tint the windows with film for $120. just curious, is there a reason for you wanting glass without the film? i think 20% is dot legal in my area..
Old 06-27-2010, 08:27 AM

i had the two fronts and rear tinted to match the back doors for less than a $100
Old 06-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Ditto

I have a good friend that tints, has been doing it for like 20 yrs, all hes ever done. Cost me a chinese dinner to have my truck tinted.

If you are thinking that the tinted glass is more durable than the window film, just consider that for 1500 bucks, you could retint your truck 10 times, and most good tint jobs will last 10+ years with a good quality film such as Mattico, Sungard, 3M or Johnsons.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Soot For Brains!

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Ditto

I have a good friend that tints, has been doing it for like 20 yrs, all hes ever done. Cost me a chinese dinner to have my truck tinted. .
Why dont you rub it in alittle more to us Blake
Old 06-29-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by got_soot
Why dont you rub it in alittle more to us Blake
That deal stands for anyone of my DTR buddies who can make the trip down here.....
Old 06-29-2010, 10:57 PM

I think the fuel bill MIGHT exceed the savings. Anyone care to support the cause?
Old 06-30-2010, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Darryl&Rita
I think the fuel bill MIGHT exceed the savings. Anyone care to support the cause?
Considering that a good tint job at a reputable tint shop will be in the 150 to 200 dollar range

Yeah, Id think that it would be a little cost prohibitive.

All in all though I wouldn't even consider doing the 1500.00 glass tinting (or whatever its referred to as). What happens if you break a window, talk about expensive to cover. Not to mention the film tint serves as an additional bit of a safety factor, it holds the shattered glass together in the event of a window breakage.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:31 AM

In Sask. window tint film is illegal so that is why is was adking about tinted glass . With DOT sticker that makes it legal and then no more tickets. Thats all.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:44 AM

Ahh... see your point.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Banned

Ditto

I have a good friend that tints, has been doing it for like 20 yrs, all hes ever done. Cost me a chinese dinner to have my truck tinted.

If you are thinking that the tinted glass is more durable than the window film, just consider that for 1500 bucks, you could retint your truck 10 times, and most good tint jobs will last 10+ years with a good quality film such as Mattico, Sungard, 3M or Johnsons.
Yea but with chinese food your hungry an hour later.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Soot For Brains!

Originally Posted by snipes999
In Sask. window tint film is illegal so that is why is was adking about tinted glass . With DOT sticker that makes it legal and then no more tickets. Thats all.
go buy a dot sticker lol and put on after you tint with film
Old 07-01-2010, 01:42 AM

Considering that a good tint job at a reputable tint shop will be in the 150 to 200 dollar range

Yeah, Id think that it would be a little cost prohibitive.

All in all though I wouldn't even consider doing the 1500.00 glass tinting (or whatever its referred to as). What happens if you break a window, talk about expensive to cover. Not to mention the film tint serves as an additional bit of a safety factor, it holds the shattered glass together in the event of a window breakage.
actually LESS safe - i think that is one of the big reasons why it is illegal. if you are involved in a wreck, and the glass needs to be broken on purpose to extricate you or passengers, then the film prevens the glass from usually falling to pieces - makes it more difficult to gain access to patients in a wreck who can't help/protect themselves . . .
Old 07-01-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
actually LESS safe - i think that is one of the big reasons why it is illegal. if you are involved in a wreck, and the glass needs to be broken on purpose to extricate you or passengers, then the film prevens the glass from usually falling to pieces - makes it more difficult to gain access to patients in a wreck who can't help/protect themselves . . .
I would say that is debatable. Im a former LEO and have seen many a wrecks with vehicles with tinted windows and have never encountered one where a rescuer could not enter, or the person in the accident who was physically capable, could not exit.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:02 AM

well........being a guy that has had to get out of a 2006 ram that i had just rolled over on its roof(dont try this at home). the factory windows made it hard to get out of the vehicle. doors were pinned and the laminated side windows(check your windows) made it very difficult to get out of the vehicle. the glass just doenst shatter and fall out like your old car did. it actually stayed in one piece, albiet one piece with lots of sharp shards that i had to crawl thru.......after that happened i REALLY dont like the new laminated glass side windows. so tint is the least of your worries and at least it would keep most of the little pieces from falling in your face.

Last edited by checkster; 07-01-2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: huh?

Quick Reply: tinted windows