3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Tie Down Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 12:12 AM
RLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tie Down Capacity

Does any one know what the capacity of the tie downs are. I have a pop up camper that ties to bolts on the inside of the bed of my current truck. The camper only weights about 700 lbs. If the tie downs are strong enough it would be nice to be able to use them for the camper. <br><br>Any of you lucky enough to have their trucks is there any information in the owners manual?<br><br>Thanks.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:11 AM

Re:Tie Down Capacity

I use them w/ my 600 lb. + ATV with no problems. I'm sure you'll be fine w/ only 700 lbs.
Old 11-09-2002, 04:16 PM

RLS, I don' believe they were intended for tying campers to beds. When I lived in So. Calif there were certain freeways that were subject to frequent high winds. The sides of the road were strewn with campers. If you couple the wind of high speed travel with side gusts of 40 to 50 miles per hour coupled the exposed surface area I'm sure it could tear the tiedown right out of your truck. They work fine for an ATV or a bike because there isn't much cross section to catch the wind. To be safe it should be bolted to the frame of the truck. Only then can you be sure when you arrive at your destination it will arrive with you. [undecided]
Old 11-09-2002, 06:02 PM

;D<br><br> RLS<br><br> Phil has some good points here if you are hauling a full size slide in camper (2500 Ib.). But at at your weight of 700 Ib. it sounds more like a heavy duty truck cap. Are you sure this thing only weighs 700 Ib., if it does I would use the truck tie downs as that spreads the load to 150 Ib. per tie down. Or bolt it right to the box rails.The tie downs are rated for much more than that but I don't have the figures at hand.<br> My slide in weighs in at 2800 Ib. loaded. On the previous Dodge ( 1995 2500) I used two 1/2&quot; marine stainless steel &quot;U&quot; bolts. One in each front corner of the box. They were backed up underneath with 1/2&quot; stainless plate. I then used the factory box tie downs in the rear to secure the back of the camper. I should also add here the &quot;U &quot; bolts on the camper itself were upgraded and backed up on the inside with &quot;2&quot; angle iron or heavy steel plate. The camper and the truck were joined with heavy chain and turn buckles. The turn buckles are then wired in position. <br> This set up has worked flawlessly for me on many, many trips across Canada and the U.S.A over the years. In the end you will have to decide what to do based on what your comfortable and feel safe with. And also what works!!<br> Pete
Old 11-09-2002, 06:54 PM
RLS

Thanks for the ideas. The camper is a Four Wheel Camper shell. I just checked the web-site and the weight is 560 pounds. It slides in and extends less than a foot above the cab. Most of the weight sits in the bed of the truck and is snug in the old ride. When it is down it is alot like a cap. <br><br>I will wait and see. When I first picked it up I drove about 70 mile in a rainstorm with no tie downs. It was stupid but I did not have any problems.