3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Test drove a new '08

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test drove a new '08

Hi guys, first post here. I just test drove a new truck in the snow today. '08 6.7L, 2500, quad cab, short bed, manual tranny, bighorn edition. Loved the truck, exhaust brake is awesome.

Quick question: when i was driving it, the little orange exclamation point light was on under the speedo. The salesman tried to tell me it wasn't the check engine light and nothing was wrong with the car, but I'm sure he was full of it. What exactly does this light mean? Had it seriously already thrown a friggen code with only 8 miles on the odo? I didn't end up buying it. I'm heading back on monday to test a few more.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:36 PM

I think that was probably the tire pressure warning light. The newer DC vehicles have a sensor on each wheel, including the spare, and that light will come on if any one of them is not right. In my wife's minivan it is the exclamation point with a kind of U-shape under it....
Old 12-08-2007, 11:35 PM

how quiet, smooth, powerful, etc, was the 6.7 engine? my ignorant Ferd friends rave about the new Powerjoke 6.4 and I'm curious how the new 6.7 compares...
Old 12-09-2007, 06:24 PM

Took my '08 to the snow for the first time today (yes, we have to "go" to the snow around here!). Between the Cummins, 4X4 and EB it was a very pleasant experience. Here's a pic, can't wait to go again....
Old 12-10-2007, 12:00 PM

Mt. Charleston?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Peterbilt
Mt. Charleston?
Lee Canyon...close enough!
Old 12-10-2007, 09:52 PM

The tire pressure warning system looks like a tire cross section with an exclamation point. My Jeep has it, but not my truck. Most of the trucks come off delivery in need of fuses and setup. My truck had a light on when I test drove it. It came off delivery the day before and only had 5 miles on it when I left the dealership after the test drive. They got it taken care of when they prepped it. I'm guessing that they forgot to set the fuses or something simple, but I don't know the dash lights on the 6.7l.

You may want to post this in the 6.7 forum. It could be something specific to the newer motor.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:41 PM

It was the tire pressure warning light. if you have a tire low on pressure it comes on. in cold weather you might see it more frequently until you drive a while and the tire warms,and pressure rises. key is to keep tires close to recommended pressure, and no light.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:53 PM

Even has the Bow on the front... Its about time we started to show some Christmas spirit around here!!!

I would say that overall, the exhaust brake was not a good thing in slick road conditions. I had more than one case when I left it on accidentally after warming up the truck and driving down the highway I let off the go pedal to make an exit, the exhaust brake hits, and I start sliding... (I know I should have seen the red button but after you see what I had to do in order for the stupid stalk switch to stop rattling, well, the short of it, the button is completely covered with tape and cable ties....) Always a class way to finish off the final touches to a 50K truck. Still mad about these shifter mounted exhaust brake switches, but I digress....
Old 12-15-2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by snoyes
Even has the Bow on the front... Its about time we started to show some Christmas spirit around here!!!

I would say that overall, the exhaust brake was not a good thing in slick road conditions. I had more than one case when I left it on accidentally after warming up the truck and driving down the highway I let off the go pedal to make an exit, the exhaust brake hits, and I start sliding... (I know I should have seen the red button but after you see what I had to do in order for the stupid stalk switch to stop rattling, well, the short of it, the button is completely covered with tape and cable ties....) Always a class way to finish off the final touches to a 50K truck. Still mad about these shifter mounted exhaust brake switches, but I digress....
The main roads were all dry and free of snow or ice. Only the campground roads were slippery so I didn't use (or need) the EB until we were on the way down on the clear roads. Here's a pic of the view on the way down the hill:
Old 12-16-2007, 10:48 AM

That is such an awesome photo! I'd love to have a full-res copy of that for wallpaper! We have lots of snow covered cornfields around here but they will never look like that.

Andy
Old 12-16-2007, 11:07 AM

Now This is going for a ride on snow and ice.