3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Temperature Extremes - Braggin Rights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temperature Extremes - Braggin Rights?

I'm wondering if anyone has any tales of running their Cummins during periods of extreme heat or cold. We are having a bit of a cold snap at present, and today I had the experience of doing about 100 highway miles at temperatures as low as -35 F in my new rig. Everything ran just fine, although the truck felt a bit "stiff" and the mileage indicated on the overhead console seemed to be off a little (by 1 or 2 mpg). I plugged it in last night, of course, and it started right up this morning. Happily, the oil pressure was right up there immediately upon starting. I haven't put an air dam on the front grill yet, or cardboard behind the grill, so I couldn't get the engine temperature above about 160 degrees (it normally runs about 195 degrees). Even so, the temperature in the cab was adequate, if not overpowering. I was comfortable driving in casual attire wearing a medium weight jacket, ball cap and without gloves (I keep warmer stuff in the truck, "just in case").
Now my '93 Dodge Cummins is a totally different story. It is downright scary starting it below zero if it hasn't been plugged in ... it seems to take forever for the oil pressure to come up. Also, the cab heater is pretty much a lost cause at below zero temperatures. If it's cold out, you had better be bundled up and have something to scrape frost off the inside of the windshield!
Yup, these rigs have come a long way from 1993 to 2006. Anyone else have any stories to share? What is the coldest temperature you have run your Cummins at? How about the warmest?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:12 AM

I have run mine at -54 celcius. Same as what you remarked, very comfortable in the cab. Didnt have a cover on my grill, which would have made it better. I have also, (not because I wanted too) started my truck at -36 c without being plugged in succesfully

Kevin
Old 01-10-2007, 04:49 AM

So far the coldest I have started at was around 40 below. Have the full winter front buttoned up tight and took about 15 miles to reach temp. Like you said things are pretty stiff first few miles, and a good thing living here is I can run 25-30 mph till tires go back to round and fluids warm up enough to flow, and my defroster has burnt a hole in the frost that built up because of the snow that got sucked in the air vents and melted and blew warm moist air over a cold window The heater is awesome it starts blowing warm air in 5 miles are so. I refuse to wear gloves at any temp while driving since I broke down and bought a new rig. Talk about a cold ride, I could get the inside of the cab about 30 degrees above ambient, now you boys down south might think that's OK, but at 40 below it would take almost a hour to warm it up to 10 below. I refuse to start any of my rigs below -45 unless its a emergency, and I think the military and most businesses stop all non essential operations at 50 below, at those temps there isn't much moving and if anything were to happen, you had better be prepared, with survival kits. I have seen solid steel 3" round stock on a wrecker break like glass at 50 below. Heck you couldn't pay me enough to go anywhere at -50, that is just plain stupid, unless its life threatening emergency there is no reason to be going anywhere. Like I said earlier if you break down in these remote areas it could very well be hours before another vehicle comes by, and if your down off the road in a snow bank, you well be pretty rank when we find you in June.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Paul I mentioned to you in a the utility quad 4x4 thread that I would love to come to Alaska and spend a few weeks or months. I should mention that I would probably prefer that to be during the Summer months...LOL. Not when it is -50. And that way I could avoid the +105 of Texas

Speaking of extremes...I know this isn't really THAT extreme. But I have double towed my 5th wheel and utility trailer (with ATVs) when it was 105 degrees. Truck did great. My engine temp was probably 210 degrees and trans temp probably 190.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:06 PM

Well for us souls up north,, that is pretty extreme,, lol. Gotta love these cummins. they just love to work

Kevin
Old 01-10-2007, 05:23 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
High extreme so far

117 degrees loaded with only 5 people and 1000lbs of camp gear.

Low extreme soon to be realized (Tomorrow and Friday)

We're expecting record lows in the SF bay area

23-25 degrees tomorrow and Teens on Friday.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:00 PM

The low here today was like 42 and the high was 88. How're those for some extreme temps??? I love CA!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:21 PM

lol, we just got a blizzard here, about 2 feet of snow in 4 or 5 hours, -22 degrees, + a 30MPH wind. Gotta love northern Alberta

Kevin
Old 01-10-2007, 08:26 PM

Towed a 10,000 lb fifth wheel through Glamis last August.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:58 PM

ahhh yes, Glamis! Glamis is great......in the winter! The same goes for Ocotillo, plaster city, borrego....