3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Steering Solution - Money Is Not An Object

Old 02-16-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Solution - Money Is Not An Object

Okay I've read a lot about the different steering solutions, trackbar, crossover etc. I went to a crossover with hydro assist on my Jeep and it handles like a dream. I'm seriously considering doing this to my '03 because the death wobble is ticking me off. I took it to the shop, they don't see any play in the front axle, said it all looks pretty solid. My wife gave the go ahead to just get it fixed regardless of cost (I love those words).

So I'm thinking, Thuren crossover steering and PSC hydro assist (my PS pump is leaking all the time anyway which is also annoying) to start. I might just get all new front suspension components if that doesn't fix it to beef everything up and do it once, do it right. I plan on again going with Kelderman Air ride (this time stock height though).

Any opinions, suggestions, pros/cons?
Old 02-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think I saw a solution to the DW, like having your camber adjusted all the way out first.

Sure that others will jump in. Do a serch on DW or death wobble, there is some good reading...
Old 02-16-2007, 07:31 PM

I thought about the same thing. I talked to Don and he didn't recommend the hydro assist. He said to cure the DW a good track bar and a good steering stabilizer will work great.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:15 PM

I talked with Don too about the hydro assist. He told me that he personally didn't like how it drove. I didn't even buy a kit when I did my hydro assist on my Jeep. I drilled and tapped the steering box and bought a ram and hooked it all up. You wouldn't even know it had i aside from the fact that it has 37" tires and handles perfectly. There are times that hydro assist is very noticeable but it's kind of like having a locker, once you get used to it, it's fine.

As for the caster. I took it in for an alignment and I'm at 4.5* on both. It was the most they wanted to go but I still get it after big bumps. I'm also switching out my frontier gear from bumper for my road armor bumper and 80lbs for a winch so I'm going to be going up about 20lbs in weight on the front end (frontier gear has the full brush guard and my road armor doesn't but the winch weighs 80lbs).

I'm probably going to get a new trackbar and control arms anyway (just waiting for the Thuren radius arm solution for stock height trucks). Then the Kelderman front bags and I'll be set. I just want to do this once and do it right. I could always just go with crossover steering with dual stabilizers to avoid the hydro assist for now. No real money wasted there. Then if I want more stability add on the hydro assist.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:56 PM

bump .. any other opinions? I need to order this stuff Monday.