3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Sirius radio in Canadian Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius radio in Canadian Trucks

I just picked up my 07 3500 Ram and am ticked that I can't get the sirius radio in Canada .They tell me it is a CRTC thing. My radio is supposed to support it but when I hit mode.. it will not swich to sat mode. I will buy the kits needed and put it in my self and register in the US if I have to, but I am conserned that the radio in my truck isn't compatable because it is a Canadian truck. Does anyone know about this?
I have the RAK 6 disk CD and am/fm radio in my truck with U Connect.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2006, 02:18 PM

radio

if you check out unitedradios web site and call them they might be able to help u they sell a repair chrysler radios that who we dealt with when i work for car dealership www.unitedradio.com good luck jeff
Old 12-29-2006, 02:32 PM

Something doesn't seem right about that as I have a buddy who just bought a stand alone Sirius Kit for his truck a couple of weeks back and they have the kits all over at Canadian Tire and Future Shop etc. Hopefully somebody else can offer up an actual fix. Sirius has a Canadian website maybe it will help? www.siriuscanada.ca/Home-e.htm
Old 12-29-2006, 03:42 PM

I know someone who added the Sirius to his factory radio on his 03, and have myself enquired about this to the parts guy at the dealership. The parts guy had it on his vehicle also.

I either something has changed, or you are getting bad information.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:28 PM

This might sound a little stupid, but are you a Sirius subscriber or did you just hit the mode button and figured it would work?

Sirius has been available in Canada for over a year now. Even though your truck is "Sirius" capable, you still need to subscribe.

Jeff
Old 12-29-2006, 10:10 PM

I drove my new rig from Idaho to Alaska in October. Even though Sirius isn't available in Alaska, a free one year subscription came with the truck, so I activated it in Idaho just to see how far north the coverage would go. Imagine my surprise when I got almost perfect coverage all the way through British Columbia, Alberta and Yukon Territory. I didn't lose coverage for good until I was about 20 miles into Alaska, although there was one brief spell (about 30 minutes) in Canada when I lost coverage while in some deep mountain valleys. After experiencing satellite radio first hand, I have to say I am sold. I won't hesitate to sign up if the service ever becomes available up here. It offers excellent broadcast quality and a multitude of stations covering every possible taste, all with no advertising to speak of.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:12 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, Sorry... I should have made it a bit clearer...
I realize we can get sirius in Canada I own three international trucks and have Sirius in all of them including one in my wifes vehicle and a plug and play in my 01 dodge. I get great reception on all of them but for some reason we can not get them in our factory Dodge vehicles up here. In the vehicle specs it shows that it is Satellite ready and still we can not get it. The dealer told me today that he would check on it but he thinks its something to do with CRTC....no one knows. I just want the factory radio to work with sirius im my 07 so I don't have to have to use my Starmate plug and play.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2006, 08:55 AM

Dealer BS

I activated the Sirius in mine about 3 1/2 years ago, I had to install the kit under the dash and drill the hole in the roof for my antenna, but after a couple of hours, all I had to do was call Sirius, and provide a US mailing address.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:12 AM

AlbertaBear,

What style of radio did you have in your Dodge? Did it have the mode button and did it swich to satellite before you hooked up the box?

THanks
Old 12-30-2006, 11:30 AM

I have the mode button on mine but sirius won't come up. I'd like to find out more about this as I am using the starmate right now.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:44 AM

Mopar parts sells a Sirius box that will plug into your RAK radio I'm told and uses the factory screen for everything. I'm getting an "aux" in interface from PIE to use my existing Sirius receiver through the aux mode. I noticed my radio doesn't display any aux or sat modes when I push the mode button either, maybe it needs to be connected to something first?

http://www.mopar.com/m_acc_cat_part.jsp
Old 12-30-2006, 12:56 PM

Question

Yes the radio being compatiable, when I say compatiable I mean the mode button swiching to Satellite and CD not just CD is my only concern. I am wondering if they can program this at the dealership?
I will order the tuner and antenna from the US and subscribe to the US if I have to. But I don't want to have change radios in my truck. I have the UConnect that goes through the radio and I think that change could be more costly than its worth.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:19 PM

Question Activation

Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
I just picked up my 07 3500 Ram and am ticked that I can't get the sirius radio in Canada .They tell me it is a CRTC thing. My radio is supposed to support it but when I hit mode.. it will not swich to sat mode. I will buy the kits needed and put it in my self and register in the US if I have to, but I am conserned that the radio in my truck isn't compatable because it is a Canadian truck. Does anyone know about this?
I have the RAK 6 disk CD and am/fm radio in my truck with U Connect.

Thanks
30 I have a quick question, Did you or did you not contact Sirius to have the account activated?
Old 01-01-2007, 01:16 AM

30Gibbs

I factory ordered my unit, and I have the single CD in dash RB1 is what I recall ??

I had trouble locating the kit in Canada in 2003-4, when I bought it, but everything fit like a glove when done. Quite a challenge with placing the unit under and up near the left A pillar. Plug in to stock radio was simple.

I ???? am not sure it switched to Sirius prior to activation.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by JWash1
30 I have a quick question, Did you or did you not contact Sirius to have the account activated?
You dont have to. It's already enabled on the new ones. If his truck was equipped it should be working.

Quick Reply: Sirius radio in Canadian Trucks