3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shocks

I was wondering what shocks you guys resonmend for the best ride and handling.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:00 AM

I've seen BILSTEIN recommended for over 10 years on CTD forums. Put some on my 2WD and am happy. Same as the MICHELIN LTX A/T: last forever.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rednax
I've seen BILSTEIN recommended for over 10 years on CTD forums. Put some on my 2WD and am happy. Same as the MICHELIN LTX A/T: last forever.
Yep, just changed over to the Bilstein 5100's and couldn't be happier. Those stock Michelin A/T do last forever. I'm about to replace mine and have 74,000 miles on them.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:57 PM

Just did a set of Bilsteins on mine, ride seems smoother.Love them so far.I took the drivers battery out so the loosened shock tower would come out with the shock and a with a little wiggling. Of course the top bolt froze up even with PB blasted on it. Easy to do. Bought through Geno's.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my rancho 9100's. Couldnt get ahold of bilstein to find a part number for my application. I can adjust them to fit the load i am carrying....
Old 04-05-2009, 05:17 PM

I put ProComp Shocks on mine about a year ago, Great shocks at a good price. The ride is much better, loaded or empty then the stockers that were on there.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:38 PM

Put my leveling kit and Bilstein 5100's on last week, did the rears today, haven't driven it yet with the rears in but Bilsteins seem to have a good rep here and at other forums.
They's on 4 for the price of 3 now down there too, saw it at Geno's.

One thing I noticed taking the rears out, they obviously put the shocks on before the box on the assembly line, it woulda been SO much easier to get the stockers off if the put the top bolt in the other way, what a hassle.
I reversed it putting them back in, cranking the spare down made it easier for the driver's side.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:24 PM

Just ordered some 5100's here too. Should be in this week.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:07 PM

Went with Bilsteins but the Rancho 9100 came in a real close second. Had a set on my last dodge and it was nice being able to adjust them when I loaded my slide in camper.
I now have a toy hauler so the Bilsteins with airbags take care of business just fine.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
Put my leveling kit and Bilstein 5100's on last week, did the rears today, haven't driven it yet with the rears in but Bilsteins seem to have a good rep here and at other forums.
They's on 4 for the price of 3 now down there too, saw it at Geno's.

One thing I noticed taking the rears out, they obviously put the shocks on before the box on the assembly line, it woulda been SO much easier to get the stockers off if the put the top bolt in the other way, what a hassle.
I reversed it putting them back in, cranking the spare down made it easier for the driver's side.
Was the bolt head on the inside of the truck then? Because mine were accessable from the fenderwells (a bit of a pain but not to bad) as the inside stops itself from spinning.

I have had my Bilsteins in the front for almost a year, noticed no change on front ride. I am hoping it gets a bit better when I put the rears on but I won't hold my breath. I think most people saying it was a big change had worn out stockers so it would make it seem like they were so much better.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:40 PM

Bolt head was on the outside, I guess if I had impact tools it wouldn't have been as bad, using the extension on the ratchet was the pits.

Haven't driven it yet with the rears in, the front seemed a little more solid feeling though..?
(I hope I didn't just waste $400 though)

<EDIT>
What kinda steering stabilizer do you have?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:22 PM

Fisherguy, it's not a waste. I've got 5100's all the way around mine. The GF says my truck is rougher than her brother's 1500............go figure. But then again, I am running Timbrens, in addition, all the way around too.

My rear shocks were more of a pain than the fronts to replace also. I have the inner fender liners, so had to do from underneath. I felt your pain with ratchet and extension.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:03 PM

No impact here anything like that is by hand. I have Bilstein dual steering stabilizer also. But then again I didn't notice a ride improvement with a KORE recon either while some people say they ride like a dream over stock........I will not hold my breath on shocks improving my ride and not really concerned about it on a 1 ton truck.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:48 PM

Installed my 5100's today. Wow this thing rides great.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:25 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Festus
Fisherguy, it's not a waste. I've got 5100's all the way around mine. The GF says my truck is rougher than her brother's 1500............go figure. But then again, I am running Timbrens, in addition, all the way around too.

My rear shocks were more of a pain than the fronts to replace also. I have the inner fender liners, so had to do from underneath. I felt your pain with ratchet and extension.
Had it out today, it definitely feels tighter (if that makes sense?)

Quick Reply: Shocks