3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

The rumored "mega cab" or "max cab" - true? If so, when?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rumored "mega cab" or "max cab" - true? If so, when?

Just picked up a new 2004 Durango for the Mrs, and took the opportunity to talk trucks with the sales guy for bit. We'll be in the market for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck in the next year or so, but I had written Dodge off because they do not offer a true crew cab. Whatever its good points, the lack of a full back seat makes the Dodge a non-starter; it's essentially an extended cab with front hinged doors.

So I thought I'd be in either the Ford or GM camps (the Chevy is so **** ugly they couldn't give me one...) but... the sales guy says that Dodge is coming out with something called a "MaxCab" for 2005 or 2006. I've done some searching on this site and others but can't seem to find any firm information. Will Dodge have a true crew cab, will it be in the 3/4 and 1 ton models, and any word on bed lengths? Most importantly, when will it be available?

Ideally, I'd want a 4 door crew cab one ton, 4x4, diesel, automatic, with a 6.5 foot box. Perfect for towing the boat *and* the crew. I can buy this truck today at any Ford or GM dealership.

Many thanks for any information.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:29 PM

i haven't heard anything about a larger cab, but i don't hear alotta things. Have you actually sat in the back seat of the new trucks? i mean you may be alot bigger than me or my 3 other college buddies who took a 5,000 mile road trip out west, but if you are a normal sized human i would go sit in it, you might be surprised....but hey thats just my opinion i wouldn't wish a POS 6 liter ford on a snake
Old 07-07-2004, 02:33 PM

Thumbs up

DockRocker,

If all you plan to do is light duty work, either pickup truck would work fine for you. If a big back seat is what you want then it sounds like you need to stay in the GM/Ford camp. If you need a Medium to Heavy Duty Pickup truck that can actually stand up to tough working and pulling requirements.... Only one choice is clear to me.... Dodge Cummins (pickup trucks). I like the looks of the Dodge much better than either other pickup, I don't find the backseat uncomfortable at all. The 5.9 Cummins is the choice of those who know.

To help you make your decision, check around to see how easy it is to find a Dodge Cummins at a Used car lot, each one I have traded has been sold within 24 hours after trading. The first one had 180000 miles (94 4x4 Cummins) It had four customers looking at it before I had the papers signed on my new 99 Cummins same story when I sold my 99 for the new 03 CR Cummins.

I hope you go with Cummins - can't beat'em with whats out there currently.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:43 PM

dock welcom to the site . we have a 2500 qc4x4 sb st and love it . our son is 6 /3 220 lbs and sits comfortable in the back . drive one and you will join us good luck in your choice. robbie
Old 07-07-2004, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2002 or 2003 with the real four doors has at least 6 inches extra in the cab. I test drove a 2003 and loved everything but the price. I bought a 2001 QC so I could afford it, and it has enough room for my 5 piece family.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the input - I crawled all over a new HD Dodge while I was buying the wife a new Durango (nice truck, btw). Sorry, but the backseat in the Dodge is no where near as roomy as the Ford or GM, especially if you have to put car seats back there. We've got a 2 and 1/2 year old and one on the way, having the back of the front seats out of kicking range is a priority Not to mention the 110 lbs dog...

The truck will be my daily driver and will be used to tow a 35-38 boat, all up with trailer we're talking 12K+

If I'm spending this amount of coin and buying a vehicle this large, I just don't want to compromise on the size of the back seat. Apparently Dodge feels differently (shrug), but I think it is telling that they are the only major manfacturer that doesn't offer a true crew cab truck, and in fact Ford and the General are moving the concept down to the 1/2 ton models. In any case, I'm sure there's some guys at Dodge making big bucks to make these decisions, all I know is that the lack of a crew cab takes their vehicle off my shopping list.

I'm not a brand loyalist, I'll buy whatever vehicle fits my needs best. Have a bunch of friends that run Fords, others that have GMs, as well as folks that run Mopar, gas and diesel all the way around. All three motors - Powerstroke, Cummins, Duramax - will do what I need it to do, it is the rest of the vehicle that will be the deciding factor at least for me.

As they say, your mileage may vary...
Old 07-07-2004, 10:22 PM

There is definately some major rumblings that this mega cab is coming out. There is a thread in the news/rumors section of the www.allpar.com website. I think there is link in a thread on this site directly to it that I made.

It is supposed to have a full back seat PLUS room behind the rear site for some storage also.

They supposedly have built several test trucks but since then the information has dried up.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:48 PM

I really think that there is a market for a vehicle that has a roomy cab + the ability to tow a significant amount and hold a bit of cargo. To me, I might need to haul an outdrive or an engine block but I definitely will need to haul 4 or 5 people to the ramp and tow the boat at the same time.

So I'm looking for a big cab, decent wheelbase, and a 6 or 6.5 foot bed. Throw in 4 wheel drive for the slippery ramps and I'm golden.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:27 PM
db

Dodge & a crew cab? Haven't heard anything But if they did it would be kept under wraps as to not hurt the current sales. FWIW- I heard that the auto is going to be approved for the Exhaust brake & that hasn't materialized either.
If the only way you can prevent a 2 1/2 year old child from kicking the back of the seat is to sacrafice both a decent turning radius & a Cummins diesel then I guess your hands are tied.
I personally like the size of the largest extended cab in the industry that Dodge offers now. If they do come out with a crew cab I sure hope they still offer it.
At the end of the day you have to be happy with YOUR choice & there is more people in Fords trucks than in Dodges.

Happy shopping.

db
Old 07-07-2004, 11:45 PM

After driving the power joke and the dura crap before buying my CTD, there is no comparison in work horse ability. The back seat maybe a touch smaller, but its a sacrafice Im willing to make for a truck that kicks *** in the pulling dept.
Scott
Old 07-07-2004, 11:59 PM

Well, serious shopping begins in January. Might have to take another look at the Dodge and arrange a little back-to-back with the Ford (you guys are wearing me down a little
Old 07-08-2004, 12:05 AM

Have you test driven the new Fords yet? I was dissapointed at best with the "power" of the V8... kinda sucked... as far as low end went.
Scott
Old 07-08-2004, 08:58 AM

I guess no one here read the post I made quite a while back. Here is that thread.

There is an article about changes coming to the HD trucks and further down in the thread I posted a link to the allpar forum thread that discusses the mega cab.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A MEGA cab Ram 5500 with a BIG Cummins and a factory 5th wheel-friendly bed would earn my $$$$. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to look at custom-building a Freightliner FL-70 or Peterbilt 330 crew cab when Momma finally gets that 42' 5-slide 5ver she wants!

And, yes, I love my Dodge, but the back seat in Ford's SuperDuty crew cab spanks the 3rd generation Ram Quad Cab pretty darned bad.

Rusty
Old 07-08-2004, 10:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like you will have to get an Big F series with the Cummins so you don't have to deal with the 6 ohno.

Quick Reply: The rumored "mega cab" or "max cab" - true? If so, when?