3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

The rumored "mega cab" or "max cab" - true? If so, when?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 10:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe, but if I move up to a MDT and Dodge isn't producing a 5500 that can handle a 20K 5ver by that time, I'll probably go with the Pete or Freightshaker.

Rusty
Old 07-08-2004, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I gotta throw my .02 in here. If your having to make a decision due to a child kicking your seat, then your real issue is with your child, not the vehicle.

I have two kids...one is 4 years old, the other just turned 1 year old. My older child sits directly behind me. I used to have an '89 Suburban which has the same seating arrangement as a true crew cab truck...my oldest could still kick the back of my drivers seat (even at 2 1/2 years old sitting in a booster seat).

The solution was simple for me...I told here to stop kicking and she did. Problem solved. If she didn't stock kicking, I would have simply pulled over and told here again in a bit stonger tone.

Now, I was originally looking at a 2000-2001 quad cab which I felt was simply too small for my families needs...my truck is also my daily driver being a stay at home Mr. Mom. I then looked at the 2003's which I felt had much more room and easily fit my families needs...not really that much smaller than a tru crew cab for leg room, but definately larger than the older extended/quad cab models.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:52 PM

my solution....don't ever have children
Old 07-08-2004, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the unsolicited parenting advice - you should be a guest on Dr. Phil

I'll try to make it perfectly clear, in small words so that you can understand. The seat-kicking comment was tongue-in-cheek. "Tongue-in-cheek" means not serious. In jest. A joke. Hope that clears things up for you.

Now if you have any useful information regarding Dodge's future product plans for the heavy duty pickup models, I thank you in advance.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:10 AM

We just got ours yesterday..

We picked up ours yesterday.

I had debated the Ford. The backseat was much bigger, but I took a seat in the back of the dodge and decided if I could fit back there, it wasn't a huge issue.

For us, the only concern was the size of the seat. Our 1 1/2 year old is still in a car seat, and there's not a huge amount of room on the seat. The car seat barely fits on the seat. Beyond that, I really like the Dodge.

We went with the dodge for the following reasons:
1. Interior layout
2. Interior quality (the Ford seemed cheaper... plus, I had an 2000 expedition that squeaked a lot and drove me nuts. The dodge didn't have any interior noises).
3. The drive quality, manueverability.
4. Price
5. Power
6. Storage spaces

The only things that we really liked about the Ford F250 were the looks and the back seats. Oh, and the cup holders were better in the Ford. It's ironic. Dodge started this entire cupholder craze with the minivan with 102 cupsholder, and the ones in the Dodge Ram suck.

Anyway, we are really happy with our truck. However, we have 100 miles on it.. And our children do fit in it.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:30 AM

Re: We just got ours yesterday..

Originally posted by chipset
Oh, and the cup holders were better in the Ford. It's ironic. Dodge started this entire cupholder craze with the minivan with 102 cupsholder, and the ones in the Dodge Ram suck.
You must have gotten the manual, right? The auto has the best cupholders that I've ever used in any vehicle. Period. You sure can't fit a 32oz gatorade bottle in Ford's cupholder.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:16 AM

Dockrocker, I can tell you that prototypes existed for focus group purposes over a year ago. I saw them.

No idea about intro dates, although I imagine we'd already be hearing about an '05 model year intro. I saw two different configurations - one pretty much a standard crew layout with a long bed IIRC, the other, I guess, was the "Max Cab" people have been talking about with maybe a foot or so of space behind the second row seats and a 6.5' bed. I didn't sit in it, as my card gave me access only to other vehicles, but it looked like the rear seats had provisions for seatback angle adjustment. Not enough room for a full recline. The prototype i saw had two different door/ rear quarter body treatments on different sides, one featuring a small fixed window aft of the door. one without. There were also detail differences in door size IIRC. Both doors were conventional front-hinged types.

I'm going to end up going with the quad regardless, but understand your position. From my experience, the ability to transition out of booster/child seats buys you some room, though. It has extended the viable lifetime of my Dakota CC while I save pennies for the big truck...

Jim
Old 07-11-2004, 12:04 AM

Chipset hit the nail on the head - if you don't have kids, you probably don't understand. Child seats take a significant amount of room, and you can't really judge how they will fit based on a person sitting there; they are not "people-shaped."

We might put off the new truck buy until 2006 in any case, so it will give us a chance to see if Dodge has any surprises coming down the pike (and gives me more time to talk the wife into a dually )
Old 07-11-2004, 05:13 AM

Buy one now and enjoy the Cummins, then when the new cab comes out, trade the old one in. I have come to the realization, I will always have a truck payment. Therefore you have to drive what makes you happy. I am a new cummins owner and I have to say, I love this thing and I will never go back to ford. My kids fit in it fine and they do kick the back seat, but I deal with that on my own terms. The Dodge makes me happy and it out pulls the powerstroke. When the new cab comes out, I will most likely buy one and keep the one I have too. I love the Cummins. No Comparison to the other trucks.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:22 AM

Another thing, I had a powerstroke crewcab dually 4x4. I replaceds the front end springs at 60,000. They were squeking, my brothers truck, same kinda truck, did the same thing. I go off road through mud alot and the weight of the powerstoke booged me down alot. I was always getting it stuck. I have yet to get this cummins stuck in the mud. You know that Chevy commercial where the dually 4x4 is jumping through the mud, I am doing that in the cummins and pulling everyone else out of the muck now. This thing is powerfull, it goes through 2 1/2 mud holes like the truck is saying is that all. I want more. Give me a real challenge.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:45 PM

Hope Dodge comes out with a new model that has a larger back seat. They are missing the boat!
Old 07-13-2004, 01:53 AM

Dockrocker, why do they make a seat big enough for an adult for a baby that is not as long as my arm? When I brought my girl home I thought I was going to have to use tie downs and strap her in the back! Those seats are huge. I know what you mean about seat room my wifes Yukon barely has enough room.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:25 AM

That's what I'm going to wait for.

IMO it's going to happen. Dodge can't be the only one without the full size 4-door config.

Right now they are missing my business because of it.

The need to compete will force them to come out with a true crew cab.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:23 PM

4 door

I heard on another site that Dodge has a contract with Ford, as long as Dodge has the Cummins, Ford wont let them have a Real Quad cab.

this might be B.S. , also the contract for Cummins was up in 2006 and Ford was going to take it.

So if this is true, you might be able to buy your MAX CAB DODGE in 2006 with a powerstroke n it.

gonzo out
Old 07-13-2004, 08:57 PM

Kids grow quick. You'll be driving the truck long after the kids are out of the saftey seats. My 2 kids enjoyed infancy in the back of a 2 door Subaru hatchback. The QC has plenty of room in the back. And the thing that sold me on the QC... You can't beat the price. 4K to 6K more for a comparable competitors truck.

Quick Reply: The rumored "mega cab" or "max cab" - true? If so, when?