3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Returning truck under Lemon Law for vibes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Returning truck under Lemon Law for vibes!

Boy, this is not something I wanted to share, let alone do, but yes it's true. The DTR November 2004 Truck of the Month is going to be returned to DC for the vibe. I have the 70 mile one and the low speed starting one. Truck has been to several dealers several times with no resolve and I can't take it anymore. In respect to my dealer, I must say they are very supportive in this matter, although they can't fix the problem.

I am requesting that DC replaces my truck with an exact replacement minus the vibes. So the question I pose to you guys is: Should I invest in an attorney? Is it necessary? If so, anyone out there qualified want to represent me? Looking for good advice from the people who know best. That's you!

Thanks,

Behrman
Old 11-23-2004, 03:43 PM

What has been attempted so far to resolve the vibe?
Old 11-23-2004, 04:08 PM

Looks like you are in for a battle, with all of those mods. just my .002
Old 11-23-2004, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Squidward
What has been attempted so far to resolve the vibe?
New rear drivelines, carriage housing and shim kit, clutch plates, power steering weight and a whole lotta "This is normal, they all do it" and "There is not fix for your isolated problem".
Old 11-23-2004, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by SHARPMACHINE
Looks like you are in for a battle, with all of those mods. just my .002
You 2 cents is only worth 2 thousandth of a cent. (Sarcastic). What do my mods have to do with the problem? (Not sacastic). I know what the problem is and have evidence to prove it. The rear drivelines are out of whack. Even the new replacements ones. I went as far to bunjee my camcorder under my vehicle and it is a clear as day. Wobble, wobble, vibe, vibe.......
Old 11-23-2004, 05:52 PM

Behrman, You asked for advice and when someone mentioned your mods you got upset? I really hope you get a new truck, but I will bet your mods become part of Dodge's arguments.

Good Luck!!
Old 11-23-2004, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by Texcowboy9
Behrman, You asked for advice and when someone mentioned your mods you got upset? I really hope you get a new truck, but I will bet your mods become part of Dodge's arguments.

Good Luck!!
I am not upset. I just wanted to know what the mods have to do with the problem. Why would the items in my signiture effect my drivelines?
Old 11-23-2004, 06:10 PM

I am not saying that any of them would casue the vibration, but I will bet Dodge will mention the 3 inch lift and the sway bar at least.

Again, I hope you get your new truck, just mentioning what I think will happen.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:16 PM

Texcowboy9-Thanks for the input. I am pretty prepared to defend myself against DC in regards to all the add-ons. If they blame any add on, I will remove it and show them it doesn't matter. Keep in mind that this was a problem from early on. I believe I noticed it with 1500-2000 miles on it before I did any add-ons at all.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:57 PM

Here's my .02 cents:

Although I don't have the vibe problem I have a few thought on it.

I looked at all the picts of your truck and it's about as tricked out as it could be.

Beautiful truck.

Now, if you hire a lawyer it's going to cost you at least 2 grand, MINIMUM!

Probably closer to 3-3.5k.

Now, think about doing this instead:

The vibe problem is most likely a drivetrain problem. Most people would agree with that IMO.

So instead of giving all that dough to an attorney, invest it into a brand new tricked out transmission. Beef up that tranny to the max!

That way you'll save the legal fees, save the truck that you've put so much time and money into making perfect, and end up with a professionally rebuilt transmission.

Plus, you can put the onus on the trannmission rebuilder to fix the vibe problem. After they install the BOMBED out tranny, if there's still any vibe *HAVE THEM FIX IT!*

That's what I'd do.

Forget about getting into a legal battle. It's not worth the hassle.

BOMB out that tranny and that'll fix the vibe problem, *AND* give you a transmission that you can drag race with if you want.

Just my $0.02.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:40 PM

dieselnewbie- Trust me, I have thought long and hard about this, but it comes down to the fact I bought a $40K truck and they can't fix my problem. If fact, they put little effort towards it at all. In regards to my tranny, that's the best part of the truck and I don't believe it is any part of the problem due to my investigative camera work and everyone's else input into this vibe.

The bottom line is all I want is my truck to run like a $40K truck and I do not look forward to having to deal with all my goodies on this truck and trying to get them on a different one.

I have studied up on the lemon laws of Washington State and they are pretty straight forward and very structured. Anyway, I'm still looking for input, so keep it up. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with staying away from the lawyers....they'll just bleed the money away.

If you are so sure it's the driveline, then what would it cost to have a professionally built/balanced one installed? Or do you think the defective driveline has damaged too many other components (transfer case, tranny, differential)? Compare that cost to the hassle and expense of a lawyer. Maybe Dodge would be willing to pay for it instead of buying back your truck? Especially if it worked!

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2004, 09:42 PM

Behrman,

Just a thought on the vib (im sure this was checked), but when I lifted my jeep I got a vibration due to exceeding the driveline angles on both front and rear axles. There are several ways to correct the angle and bring it back into spec. Did the truck vibrate before the 3" lift? Not sure if 3" lift would cause this or not. A buddy of mine has an 02 4X4 CTD and we install a 2" leveling kit had the same problem took of kit and vid was gone.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:47 PM
tcb

beautiful truck, i hate to hear about your trouble, but good luck. i will be supprised if you get the lemon law to work. yours is just a nusiance not a total waste of money. be careful. and the mods do work against you if d/c wants them to. to them you change truck form stock and created the problem and even removing them does not make a difference. one again i am pulling for you but just don't want you to get your hopes up too much.

tim
Old 11-23-2004, 11:01 PM

My advice: Just trade it in. How much will you really lose? Probably less than it will cost to go through the whole "give me a new truck" battle.

Check to make sure the new one doesn't vibrate. Life is short and the high blood pressure from getting mad a DC isn't worth it.

My truck has a slight vibration as well, but I've got two years left with this truck and I'll trade it on a new one. By then, DC should have the problem sorted out and I won't have to worry about it. Of course someone else will.

As for the mods; I'm sure DC knows (by know) what is causing the vibration, but a recall campaign to fix the problem would be too costly. If anyone is going to get satisfaction, it will be the owner that has a truck that is unaltered, so he doesn't even have to make the arguement that his mods aren't to blame. It saves DC money to say that a small bit of vibration is normal and your problem is a result of alterations you made. Whether it is true or not (can you prove your mods aren't causing any of the problem without removing all of them?) isn't the point. It gives DC an excuse.

Good luck with your fight (if you proceed). Let us know how you make out.

Quick Reply: Returning truck under Lemon Law for vibes!