3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

resetting ecm

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
resetting ecm

So for the past couple months my windows have been out of commission. I got a PM from someone with the same problem and he said the dealer reset the ecm. Now, disconnecting the batteries for a couple hours will reset it correct? If i do this, do i need to take the Smarty back to stock or are we talking about different things.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:43 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Here's something

06 and later? Probably talking about your TIPM Gateway module. It is the "body" computer of the vehicle. It's like a firewall. You activate something switch-wise on the truck. That input has to go through the cluster for what the input does, and then it goes to the TIPM under the hood to get permission to send the the voltage to respond. If it doesn't find the software to allow the voltage to run this function (like windows) it won't send the power. If it seems to lose it's memory, then it has to be re-configured. That does involve a trip to the dealer, where they will have to reload the software for your VIN into the TIPM from Chrysler. Very rarely do these have to be replaced, regardless of what your dealer will say. The techs only get paid their worth if they replace something. Like 1.5-2.0 hours to replace this module, or less than 1/2 an hour to just reprogram it. Depending on their internet connection it could take up to an hour to do the reprogram.

Chris
Old 03-11-2008, 08:30 PM

Darn. So i guess its a trip to the dealer then.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 AM

To clear memory on a ECM just takes unhooking batterys a couple minutes anyway.This unhooking them(batterys)for hours or overnight does no more then then doing it for 2 minutes.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:46 PM

Well thats good to know. Would i still need to return the smarty to stock before doing so?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:36 PM

I've never messed with downloaders.They make me nervous.I don't know.I'm sure someone else can chime in on that question.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ratlratl
06 and later? Probably talking about your TIPM Gateway module. It is the "body" computer of the vehicle. It's like a firewall. You activate something switch-wise on the truck. That input has to go through the cluster for what the input does, and then it goes to the TIPM under the hood to get permission to send the the voltage to respond. If it doesn't find the software to allow the voltage to run this function (like windows) it won't send the power. If it seems to lose it's memory, then it has to be re-configured. That does involve a trip to the dealer, where they will have to reload the software for your VIN into the TIPM from Chrysler. Very rarely do these have to be replaced, regardless of what your dealer will say. The techs only get paid their worth if they replace something. Like 1.5-2.0 hours to replace this module, or less than 1/2 an hour to just reprogram it. Depending on their internet connection it could take up to an hour to do the reprogram.

Chris
Believe me I know about TIPM's as I have been having nothing but trouble with mine in the past month. Not to try to steal this thread but I don't have reverse lights because of a problem with my TIPM and my idiot dealership can not figure it out (been there 9 days)