3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Rear window leaking...........need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear window leaking...........need help

I have water pooling in the well (storage area) under the back seat passenger side. I've had a glass repair shop put sealant around the outside of the rear slider. Still leaked. Then the dealership said it was the 3rd brake light and that the satellite wire was causing a gap so they replaced the entire light and moved my antenna to come out the rear passenger door. Still leaking (on top of that they pulled the wire out of the antenna then charged me for a new wire & install).

I can see water in the track of the rear slider on the left side only but can't see where it is getting in. I slightly pushed on the pane of glass near the bottom where it would be sealed to the frame of the window and it very slightly pushed out, is this normal and if not how is it that water is getting in there? And what can I do about it, if I seal it on the inside the rear slider won't be usable which might have to be the way to go.

I'm at my wits end any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe the glass shop did not do a good job or used the wrong type of sealer. I had the same issue and used the "flowable" silicone referenced in this TSB and have had no water leaks since.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2007/23-010-07.htm

Picked it up at my local auto parts store, good luck!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fought this same issue. It was the third brake light leaking. I replaced the lens three times. The leak would stop for a while and start again. I used a liberal amount of silicon and it would still leak. Don't ask me how but it did. I ended up going to Advance Auto and picked up some weather seal. All they had was 1/2" self adhesive. I cut it in half and used gorilla snot (yellow weather seal adhesive) to glue the seal to the lens. The self adhesive just doesn't do the job. It has been leak free for about ten months. The factory seal just doesn't seem to be thick enough.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:45 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the leaky rear slider somewhere on the top. Can't find it but I see the water runoff spots. Guess I better get up there and figure it out.

Thanks for the tips Jonesey.