3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Ready to take the plunge...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 08:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ready to take the plunge...

into a real truck. But I need help finding a dealer who wants to deal at invoice, or hopefully, below that. Not really picky where, how about east of Austin, TX. I'm in the military and it's hard to get a good deal in a military town sometimes. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Hopefully, I'll be reporting back about my new rig soon. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:22 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Re:Ready to take the plunge...

Not too far away from you is LaGrange Dodge in La Grange. They have great sales and service. Suggest you at least give them a call at 800-891-JEEP. Tell them Stan from Mexico sent you.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to www.kbb.com and price out the exact truck you want.

Then go to www.dodge.com and click on "dealer locator" and send an email to all the nearby dealers around you telling them exactly what you want and what you want to pay.

For what it's worth, I had 3 dealers in the Dallas area fighting over my business. Finally Huffines in Lewisville said, "we'll beat anybody by $200" and I ended up with a truck at $400 below the dealer invoice (from kbb.com).

Old 12-21-2003, 08:33 PM

Oh yeah, forgot to include the Farm Bureau rebate.

Go to www.fb.com and join the farm bureau and get yourself another $500 rebate for a $40 registration fee. You have to be a member of the FB for at least 30 days prior to picking up the truck.

Old 12-22-2003, 06:14 AM

I probably should have been more clear. I am not in Texas, I'm in school in Georgia learning to be a computer geek. However, I'll go to Texas or North Carolina (and all points in between) to save bunches of money. I searched dealers on the Dodge site, but figured I would start here with real experiences first. La Grange Dodge only showed 2 2500s in their inventory. I will call around today to a few dealers. Is there still a military discount in effect? Thanks for the help so far guys. 8)
Old 12-22-2003, 07:30 AM

I just ordered a truck and the salesman told me that there wasn't any military discount available.

Old 12-22-2003, 07:38 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Don't just go on what LaGrange showed in inventory on their site. They have access to others. Give them a call, tell them I sent you, let them know what you want and they will work to satisfy you. They found mine and it was not in their inventory. Not other dealer could find what I wanted and all wanted to special order.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:10 AM

[quote author=handymantim link=board=17;threadid=24109;start=0#msg227653 date=1072099814]
I just ordered a truck and the salesman told me that there wasn't any military discount available.[/quote]

I figured that was the case as I haven't heard anything about it for a while. Thanks.

[quote author=Mexstan link=board=17;threadid=24109;start=0#msg227656 date=1072100335]
Don't just go on what LaGrange showed in inventory on their site. They have access to others. Give them a call, tell them I sent you, let them know what you want and they will work to satisfy you. They found mine and it was not in their inventory. Not other dealer could find what I wanted and all wanted to special order.
[/quote]

Thanks I will do that! I'll let you know what they say.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:33 PM

Working with La Grange Dodge on a truck fairly close to the truck I am looking for but not exactly "the one." Right now we're at $33,688 on one and $33,992 on the other as their first offer for trucks with an MSRP of nearly $41,000. These sound like pretty good deals to me, but are there significantly better deals out there and should I really begin the unpleasantries of haggling? Or, should I take it and run?

I test drove a HO/48re and was very impressed with the way it handled. I thought it would be a little peppier, but with 5 miles on the clock, it is probably safe to say it's still a little tight. :P

Thanks for the help so far guys. I am so close, I can almost smell the fumes. ;D
Old 12-22-2003, 06:42 PM

What are all the details on those two trucks?

4x4?
Laramie?
SLT?
ST?

Please list all the options and we can give you a better idea if those are good deals.

Old 12-22-2003, 06:55 PM

[quote author=handymantim link=board=17;threadid=24109;start=0#msg227913 date=1072140175]
What are all the details on those two trucks?

4x4?
Laramie?
SLT?
ST?

Please list all the options and we can give you a better idea if those are good deals.[/quote]

Doh!!!!! Sorry about that!

04 SLT 4x4 QC HO/48re
Silver/Slate int (I want taupe)
offroad group
tow group w/ mirrors
premium cloth seats
fold flat floor
sliding rear window (I don't want that- is there any reason to get it?)

Other one is similar, but with sport package and I don't want that.

That's about it. Just a few minor differences and I'll take it. Sorry again.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over on the TDR theres a salsman from ST louis (i think) . He says he can drop ship any where in the country. He has a few prices listed 2500 SLT 4X4 Quad cab 600 cummins 6 speed tow mirrors a/c keyless entry final out the door price 30,436. He has a few more prices there to. Check it out . Its under 3rd gen no engine, in the forums I think his name is tommygun. I dont get any kickbacks just trying to help.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:14 PM

To me it sounds as tho you should take it. But wadda I know? As for the sliding rear window, I would go for that too. You probably will not use it very much but for the times when you do use it, you will be glad you got it.
Suggest that before you sign on the dotted line that you get LaGrange to agree to add a few items at their cost price. For instance, get them to install the Mopar mud flaps. If you intend to do any towing, now would be a good time to get the ***** etc you need. Get more than one drop. Don't forget the 7 wire trailer plug. How about a Dodge repair manual at dealer cost? If you are going to get a Rhino spray in liner get them to have it done. They can't get you a price break on this but they can have it done for you. The Rhino dealer is only a mile down the road from them.
Let us know tomorrow that you bought this truck and now have a huge smile on your face.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:48 PM

www.kbb.com says that truck (the one without the sport group) has a dealer invoice of $33,316 after the $2500 rebate. Looks like they are charging you about $300 over dealer invoice for a truck that is on the lot and they are DESPERATE to get rid of.

I'm certainly not trying to brag but I'm at $500 below dealer invoice for an "ordered" truck. That's an $800 difference!!!I'm only telling you this to give you something to work from.

Old 12-22-2003, 08:38 PM

[quote author=spud link=board=17;threadid=24109;start=0#msg227922 date=1072141637]
Over on the TDR theres a salsman from ST louis (i think) . He says he can drop ship any where in the country. He has a few prices listed 2500 SLT 4X4 Quad cab 600 cummins 6 speed tow mirrors a/c keyless entry final out the door price 30,436. He has a few more prices there to. Check it out . Its under 3rd gen no engine, in the forums I think his name is tommygun. I dont get any kickbacks just trying to help.
[/quote]
I read Tom's post a few days ago and planned to call him today, but never got to it, between the test drive and dealing with La Grange. I will call him tomorrow. Thanks. 8)

[quote author=Mexstan link=board=17;threadid=24109;start=0#msg227927 date=1072142056]
To me it sounds as tho you should take it. But wadda I know? As for the sliding rear window, I would go for that too. You probably will not use it very much but for the times when you do use it, you will be glad you got it.
Suggest that before you sign on the dotted line that you get LaGrange to agree to add a few items at their cost price. For instance, get them to install the Mopar mud flaps. If you intend to do any towing, now would be a good time to get the ***** etc you need. Get more than one drop. Don't forget the 7 wire trailer plug. How about a Dodge repair manual at dealer cost? If you are going to get a Rhino spray in liner get them to have it done. They can't get you a price break on this but they can have it done for you. The Rhino dealer is only a mile down the road from them.
Let us know tomorrow that you bought this truck and now have a huge smile on your face.
[/quote]
I forgot to mention both trucks have the hood bug shield installed. I have most of the accessories that I want, however I do like the service manual idea. I may just have to request that. Isn't that on CD-ROM?

[quote author=handymantim link=board=17;threadid=24109;start=0#msg227951 date=1072144110]
www.kbb.com says that truck (the one without the sport group) has a dealer invoice of $33,316 after the $2500 rebate. Looks like they are charging you about $300 over dealer invoice for a truck that is on the lot and they are DESPERATE to get rid of.
I'm certainly not trying to brag but I'm at $500 below dealer invoice for an "ordered" truck. That's an $800 difference!!!I'm only telling you this to give you something to work from.
[/quote]
Thanks for the heads up. These trucks would actually be part of a dealer swap from around the Dallas area I think. They're going to continue looking for "the one" I want tomorrow. And the price she quoted me was just their first offer, so instincts tell me it's just the starting place. I probably can get another four of five Franklins off. (Cue soap opera daydream blurry screen.

Quick Reply: Ready to take the plunge...