3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Ram Hub Caps

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ram Hub Caps

Howdy fellas, I have the "chrome" plastic hub caps that came with my Ram, and after I powdercoat the wheels, I'll need to do something with the caps. Sooo, the queston is what type of media blast can you do to rough up these plastic caps (obviously the centers are too detailed to do by hand) so some paint will stick? I figured if they can get roughed up, some of that fusion paint should hold up all right? Any other ideas? Thanks
Old 02-07-2007, 01:34 PM

I had the chrome coming off of a '69 Chevy 3/4 ton instrument bezel back before they came out with the 'fusion' type paint and I just used a small sandblaster to rough it up. I painted it with some Krylon Satin Black out of a rattlecan. It's still on there after 25 years! I think you're on the right track 'cause you've got to scuff it up some way to give the paint something to stick to.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Graphite 6
Howdy fellas, I have the "chrome" plastic hub caps that came with my Ram, and after I powdercoat the wheels, I'll need to do something with the caps. Sooo, the queston is what type of media blast can you do to rough up these plastic caps (obviously the centers are too detailed to do by hand) so some paint will stick? I figured if they can get roughed up, some of that fusion paint should hold up all right? Any other ideas? Thanks
Don't know if it will help or where you are but I have some gray stock covers I got them to paint because the body shop told me if you do anything to the covers you will need the plain ones not the chrome covers. Long story short I have still not coated rims or covers and if you want the gray paintable covers I would swap you if you want for your chrome covers. Should be able to wet sand then paint fine from what they said. Covers are the same just gray off a SL work truck not a SLT...
Jon
Old 02-07-2007, 06:48 PM

Rough'em up

PVC blast media on low pressure will do a good job of roughing them up. Just don't get nozzle to close to work. I would try it on the inside of one first.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:27 PM

Thanks for the responses,
Mr Gadget, I think I'll keep these for now, but will consider your offer if I change my mind.
Mizzu, kinda what I was thinking, or maybe a rough scotch pad, and some Krylon fusion like mjoo7 said.
Also?? I could Line X type material, but I don't want it look like garbage. Thanks again fellas.