3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Question to all the electrical gurus.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question to all the electrical gurus.

Hi all -

I am going to install a back up camera on my Mega. I am going to wire it to the backup wire of the trailer harness in the back so it gets activated with the lever in R position. What if I want to install a toggle switch to activate it while in other than R position. Specificaly, how do you isolate the 2 power wires so if I have the switch in ON position, I do not burn something while reversing ?

Hope I am clear with my question
thanks
Old 06-11-2007, 01:03 PM

if yo usire it to the reverse wire I would use a switch with a relay tapped into the same wiring if possible, you should be able to tap it up under the dash somewhere, then if the switch is on and your in reverse it doesnt matter your just getting 12v from both sources at different junctions.
as far as i can think anyway
Old 06-11-2007, 01:27 PM

I don't think there is a hot accessory type wire at the rear, and even if you did you would need to run a remote control wire. You might as well run a power wire from the cab, where you can splice into the backup lamp and accessory power, back to the camera .

The simplest way may be to install a two pole single throw (DPST) type switch on the dash with one pole attached to the backup lamp circuit and the other pole to an accessory power circuit and then the main to the wire you run back to the camera. Use a three pole switch if you want a power completely off position, just don't connect anything to the off pole position.

If that doesn’t work for you, tell us why and we may be able to offer more elaborate set ups. There are other options involving relays or diodes, RF remotes. How are you getting the video from the camera to the cab?
Old 06-11-2007, 02:50 PM

The two pole switch sounds like an idea. I am going to use a hard wire for the signal from the back to the cab, I do not trust the wireless combos.