3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Quad Cab Size Ok for 2 Kids?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quad Cab Size Ok for 2 Kids?

Looks like I may become a Dodge man real soon!! Just sold my 1997 Ford f-250 7.3L and looking real hard at a Dodge Quad Cab and Ford F-250 Crew Cab 6.0L. Decided against the Lemon truck and strippie model (previous post) - thanks to all who guided me into a $42,000 truck!!!

Question: Any of you out there have Quad Cabs and find that the rear seating is too small for two average size kids (12 yrs of age) or 2 adult males (5'-10" 200 lbs)? I will only travel with two male friends in rear on occasion 3-4X/year (fishing trips) and with kids in rear on longer trips into Baja.

The Ford is much roomier in the rear of their crew cabs. Just a recent observation as I shop for a new truck.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2004, 09:40 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

The Ford and Chevy are much roomier than the dodge. If I had only one complaint about our truck it would be the quad cab. They advertise the quad cab as having 4 “real” doors and that is BS.
That being said it is big enough for “average sized” adults to fit in the back seat. Kids in the back seat will be fine.
I had a 2001 Chevy HD Crew Cab Duramax and it is basically a Tahoe interior with a 6-foot bed. It was really nice but I had all kinds of trouble out of it.
Dodge with a Cummins is a superior product to anything else out there. The Cummins is a proven power plant and you should have no problem out of it.

Hope this helps some

Britt

Old 12-27-2004, 09:47 PM

Location: Dead Center in the Middle of TN. 20 miles from Jack Daniels, 10 miles from George Dickle and .8 mi from the liquor store at I-24 Exit 114
My best friend has a new '05 Powerstroke Quadcab. It my be 5" longer inside than my Ram, but it's much harder to access for me due to the position of the door post. Hardly enough room for my size 12 Danners to get in between the post and the seat.

I'll take the Dodge over the Ford for sure due to getting in and out of the back seat. I am 6'1" /225 and I am very comfortable in the rear of my RAM. jim
Old 12-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quad cab is just the right size for me.
Kids, 12 and 10 fit in the rear seats just fine, a lot better than the Tacoma this truck replaced.
(before they had 4 doors)

I've had adults in there, just not for very long trips.

phox
Old 12-27-2004, 10:52 PM

My son is about 6 ft and he was surprised at the room he had in the back. He only traveled a short distance but he was quite happy. He is out on his own but sometimes we go places together and my QC is bigger than his SC.

I have seen posts on this in other forums and they posted numbers that showed the Dodge QC had only 2 inches less leg room than the GMs but it had more hip and head room.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:40 AM

My 2002 quad fits kids, and kid seats just fine. My 5'7'' 175# fits fine and no problems riding 100 or so miles back there.
Check the roumors on the 06's that are comming out. Bigger cab with 4 real doors, so I heard.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:25 AM

Plenty of room for me. I'm 6'1"....
Old 12-28-2004, 05:54 AM
DMH

I have three boys, one at 6'3" and two at 6'5" and they are comfortable in the back. But not all three at the same time. I got out-voted at Christmas time and we took the mini-van on a 100 mile trip.

But, with just two of them, they are just fine in the back of my quad-cab. They might not have the most leg room, but there is room for their size 15/16 hoofers. And there is plenty of head room for them also.

DMH
Old 12-28-2004, 07:42 AM
VPI

I have made several 8+ hour trips with 3 adults in the back. They had little to gripe about. If the people in the front slide up a little it is good. The biggest diff in the Dodge and the others is they have a slight recline to the back seat and the dodge is like sitting against a wall. For short trips it is good for long trips it is better than my old toyota ex-cab but not as good as the Crew Ford I had. This truck is easier to park though.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:14 AM

My 11 & 6 year old fit fine. Took a trip to Yellowstone, Wy this summer from Ca. and not 1 complaint about "I dont have any room!"
Old 12-28-2004, 09:12 AM

Sat in the back of my friend's 04 QC and I didn't have anything to complain about (except maybe all the junk on the floor )

I'm 6'1''.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:04 AM

My 12 and 14 year olds fit OK, but not nearly as well as they did in the back of the '01 Superduty CrewCab we traded in. The difference in legroom may be only 5 inches on paper, but the back of the seat on the Dodge is much more upright, and the cushions are a lot shorter.

They'll fit alright, but both of them have commented to me that it's not as comfortable as it was in the back as the old truck.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had two adults and a kid up front, and four teens in the back on long trips. It was a bit crowded but we did fine. I've also had two adults and two kids in the back, on shorter trips. The slightly shorter leg room doen't seem to be as much of an issue as leg room is needed due to the seat height. The family finds the truck much more comfortable than either Taurus sedan. We visited a friend this summer that had a BMW station wagon, it impressed the family, but when I asked what they'd prefer to be in on long trips they said the truck. I guess it's like on planes where it's not leather seats or butt warmers or small movie screens that make for comfort, it's room, like they have in business or 1st class.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:30 PM

Ours works fine for trips with the inlaws. The girls ride in the back cackling like two hens while I drive and the ol' man rides up front with me counting cows as we cruise along the interstate. They have plenty of room and the seats aren't too bad. That's not to say they wouldn't be more comfortable in a Ford or GM Crew Cab. But the Dodge works for us and I've heard no complaints.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
My sis-in-law just traveled 700 miles in the back seat of mine. We had a couple spend a week with us in Nova Scotia - - we drove all over the place with them in the back. Actually the ladies rode in back with the guys up front. You might want a pillow along to help, but it certainly is doable. Yep, a little smaller than the other two, but sure nicer to drive the truck.

Quick Reply: Quad Cab Size Ok for 2 Kids?