3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Electrolysis demo...

OK, so tomorrow is a busy build day for me, but tonight, my son, Noah, and I decided to build a small demo test tank for our 'reverse electrolysis' setup that we were going to trial to de-chrome some of the stock exterior trim pieces, most notably the grill surround.

The setup is a simple computer power supply, wiring, a multimeter setup inline to show amps of current flow, a toggle switch wired into the green lead of the ATX computer power supply connector (on-off switch), water, baking soda, and a piece of scrap steel as the donor metal.

I simply added baking soda as an electrolyte to the solution until the current flow stopped increasing. The rate of electrolysis can be easily adjusted by moving the parts further apart or closer together.

Here are a few pics of a test piece running around 4 amps, 12 volts DC, for 30-40 mins. So far looks promising.

I trialed a zinc plated bolt and this took the zinc off at about 1.5 amps in about 4 minutes!! Stripped right to bare steel!

I plan to build a larger tank for the grill and probably run around 10 amps. Computer power supply is nice though because on this small 350 watt one, the 12V+ rail is rated to 25 amps! Also, these have alot of great noise suppression built in and rectifiers are really good, as opposed to battery chargers, which are not good rectifiers and alot of AC current leaks into the output, which is not good for electrolysis.

Here's a few quick pics...
Attached Thumbnails Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-electrolysis-setup-1-.jpg   Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-electrolysis-setup-4-.jpg   Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-electrolysis-setup-9-.jpg   Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-electrolysis-setup-7-.jpg   Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-electrolysis-setup-5-.jpg  

Old 12-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Holy sweet mother of a build! How did I miss this thread???

Awesome fab work and and a really great project!
Keep the pics coming!

BTW.... does your wife have a sister?? J/K.. my wife is starting to get back into the truck mods again.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
BTW.... does your wife have a sister?? J/K.. my wife is starting to get back into the truck mods again.
LOL! I get that question often! She's definitely a keeper Oh, and no, no sisters.

Check back often, if you are interested. I expect tons of progress tomorrow, and the fab on the custom front and rear bumpers is finished. I'm off work for the next 5 days so I'm hoping to get alot done!

Thanks for everyone's excitement. It keeps me motivated!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW!
I somehow missed this build thread?

You are doing alot of the stuff that I had planned for my '07 5.9 MegaCab. I had all of the performance stuff done and half of the suspension done when I came across a new 2010 Crew Cab that I couldn't just leave on the lot. My Mega left to stay with it's new owner in New York a few weeks ago.

Hopefully I can get goin on my build thread after the holidays. I've got bigger plans than my bank account and time will allow but I will be moving forward anyway. Pretty much just waiting on my 6" Carli Radius Arm kit to be finished.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
bump. was 3 pages back.

any updates?
Old 12-29-2010, 02:59 PM

Thanks for asking! Actually, yes - have bumpers on!! Sorry for lack of pics over the holiday. Obviously my family was priority
Also got chrome stripped off the grille, and finished grinding the bed frame rails that I built.

The next 2 days are, as my wife has told me, exclusively mine to get some major progress done. I will post pictures very soon!! Keep checking!!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:37 AM

Finally - a few more updates!

Well, I hope you all haven't quite given up on me yet. The holidays understandably kept me busy, and even though I had done little things on the project last week, I never remembered to bring the camera out.

So, here's a brief synopsis of things achieved over the last week:
1. stripped grille, trimmed off unneeded tabs, and prepped to fab stainless insert panels
2. ordered stainless D-rings to use as tie-downs
3. ordered side mirror marker lamps (no, they weren't a factory option - you gotta just wire them yourself)
4. measured and drilled bedrails for tie-downs (also serve as top fiberglass bedside clamps)
5. constructed a 1/4" steel rail to go underneath stock bedrail and sturdy things up a bit extra
6. welded in a piece of angle iron under front (closest to cab) bedrail to strength and enable tie-down mounts there, as well
7. finished all grinding on bed rails/cage
8. drilled out holes for factory tailgate mounts (though not using tailgate)
9. mounted marine-grade 120v plug in front bumper to allow easy access to block heater
10. PICKED UP BUMPERS! (teaser pics to follow )
11. cutout fiberglass and mounted stock fuel filler door
12. i'm sure a few other things I can't recall at 3:30am!

Browse the pics and hope you enjoy!! Sorry, but they are in no particular order. Line-X of the entire vehicle is coming very soon!

I have to thank my little buddy, Noah, for helping me this week. Check him out in the pics with his own drill!!

View the next post for more pics.
Attached Thumbnails Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-front-bumper-teasers-2-.jpg   Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-rear-bumper-teasers-2-.jpg   Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-block-heater-plug-5-.jpg   Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-block-heater-plug-6-.jpg   Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-fuel-filler-door-2-.jpg  

Old 01-01-2011, 03:42 AM

More pics!

More pics - see post above. Oh, and check out that low profile front bumper - less protrusion than stock! And the rear - yep, that's a cutout for a roller fairlead in the center behind the license plate! Going to mount a winch in the old spare tire location at some point.

Thanks to my buddy Evan at BackwoodsBumpers.com for some GORGEOUS work!! Check him out, guys - his work is outstanding.
Attached Thumbnails Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-fuel-filler-door-5-.jpg   Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-fuel-filler-door-6-.jpg   Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-drilling-bedrails-10-.jpg   Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-noah-helping-28-.jpg   Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-noah-helping-6-.jpg  

Old 01-01-2011, 03:46 AM

And one last group of pics...

Just pics...

Comments, as usual, are welcome!!
Attached Thumbnails Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-grille-refinishing-1-.jpg   Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-grille-refinishing-2-.jpg   Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-front-bumper-teasers-5-.jpg   Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-drilling-tailgate-mounts-2-.jpg   Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...-noah-helping-21-.jpg  

Old 01-01-2011, 02:31 PM

Looking good!! It reminds me of when I used to work with my dad when I was young!! Looks like an awesome project and the little guy looks to be having fun too!!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by 8UPRACIN
Looking good!! It reminds me of when I used to work with my dad when I was young!! Looks like an awesome project and the little guy looks to be having fun too!!
Yep. He's the best little helper a guy could ask for!! He has great ideas for project customizations, too!!
Old 01-01-2011, 06:25 PM

Thats awesome! Its gonna be a cool project! Its built! Not bought like most pickups! Its great to see people take on big projects themselves instead of having someone else do it for them.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man that's coming together, Adam! I wish I had the chance to see it in person last month. I'm gonna try to get down in your neck of the woods next month. Keep posting progress pics!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Awesome pics. Love the progress and the entire project!!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 PM

Thanks, yet again, to all for the kind words.

Finished drilling mounts today for the bed frame / cage.

Ordering tiregate tomorrow, and probably tires/wheels!! I need the tiregate soon to get measurements. I need the exact distances between mounting bolts on the Tiregate. Because I built the reinforcing bedrails / bed cage, my tiregate will bolt directly into that 1/4" steel frame. I just need to know exactly where to weld in nuts for the gate to bolt to! Unfortunately they won't give me exact dimensions over the phone because of variations in tolerance in their welding jig. I understand...they don't want me to weld my parts in place based on their phone measurements, and then it to be 1/8" off and not bolt up when it arrives.

Tires and wheels - the fun part! I was going to order them after the Line-X was done, but I figured, incase I need to do a little fiberglass trimming on the front, I better get the wheels first.

I'm thinking: for wheels, the AR ATX Artillery series in black, TEFLON coated (love that feature). They have a great load rating (one of the highest out there, nearly 4k pounds each), the correct backspacing, and they are just a simple design.

Tires: Probably Toyo Open Country MT. 37x13.5R17. I'd consider a 12.5 width, but they don't have it available.

Tomorrow: bed goes back on the truck!! Start on the front fenders! (shouldn't be anything compared to the back)

Debating fabbing custom fender liners before going to Line-X. Hmm...

Will throw pics up soon!

Quick Reply: Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...