3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MajikMD
Thanks, yet again, to all for the kind words.

Finished drilling mounts today for the bed frame / cage.

Ordering tiregate tomorrow, and probably tires/wheels!! I need the tiregate soon to get measurements. I need the exact distances between mounting bolts on the Tiregate. Because I built the reinforcing bedrails / bed cage, my tiregate will bolt directly into that 1/4" steel frame. I just need to know exactly where to weld in nuts for the gate to bolt to! Unfortunately they won't give me exact dimensions over the phone because of variations in tolerance in their welding jig. I understand...they don't want me to weld my parts in place based on their phone measurements, and then it to be 1/8" off and not bolt up when it arrives.

Tires and wheels - the fun part! I was going to order them after the Line-X was done, but I figured, incase I need to do a little fiberglass trimming on the front, I better get the wheels first.

I'm thinking: for wheels, the AR ATX Artillery series in black, TEFLON coated (love that feature). They have a great load rating (one of the highest out there, nearly 4k pounds each), the correct backspacing, and they are just a simple design.

Tires: Probably Toyo Open Country MT. 37x13.5R17. I'd consider a 12.5 width, but they don't have it available.

Tomorrow: bed goes back on the truck!! Start on the front fenders! (shouldn't be anything compared to the back)

Debating fabbing custom fender liners before going to Line-X. Hmm...

Will throw pics up soon!
What are the specs on that wheel? "correct backspacing" is relative to what you are going to be doing for suspension. Do you have that all figured out yet?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:39 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I'm still wondering how the dechrome went on the badges. That was a sweet setup. Going to paint them?

Love the little helper there. He drilling your pilot holes on the bed? He'll be a monster when he's a teen. Hope you're ready to keep up with his projects Dad!
Old 01-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey man, you got that truck done yet?!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:16 PM

LOL! Sorry for the delays! I did get a plasma cutter for Christmas! My awesome wife gave me the money to purchase one! So, a few build days were spent finding and purchasing one...and one day for wiring another 230v circuit in my garage. Not to mention working the last 7 days in a row...that kinda limits progress.

Slow progress this week, but I got a few little things done.

Will snap a few pics ASAP. Thanks for the patience!!

BTW, I bought a Hypertherm Powermax 65, incase anyone is interested. 1/2" plate steel at 50 inches per minute...I'm drooling thinking about it!!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

WOW!! that's a serious machine! What are you planning on using that for? Won't that cut over 1" plate?? Man I'm jealous!!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 PM

I've got the thermodynamics 52 and it's a sweet monster for cutting 1/4" at 80 inches per minute. Be sure to get a motorguard M-26 filter for the air supply, it keeps the tips working better for longer.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:36 PM

Well, basically, I don't plan on buying another for the next 5+ years, so I didn't want to end up later saying, "Oh, if I only had spent the extra 300 bucks I coulda done work with ____." I hope to build/buy an X-Y table in the next year or two to start machine cutting parts, so the 65 was the lowest model with the advanced machine interface built-in.

As far as specs...yes. It will sever 1 1/4" plate. It is RATED to cut up to 1". The pierce capacity is what I like. 5/8". Can't beat that. Got to play with one at a dealer here and I was immediately sold on it.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Backwoods Bumpers
WOW!! that's a serious machine! What are you planning on using that for? Won't that cut over 1" plate?? Man I'm jealous!!
Oh, and Evan, anytime you are in town, it's yours to use!! Thanks again for those GORGEOUS bumpers. Nothin but compliments from the guys at work! Can't wait to see them coated!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:39 PM

That is the same machine I would like to get, currently saving my pennies(I'm still in college). I like you work outfit. Will be interested in seeing the final product, I assume you will have someone paint it, or do you plan to do it your self.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Purplezr2
That is the same machine I would like to get, currently saving my pennies(I'm still in college). I like you work outfit. Will be interested in seeing the final product, I assume you will have someone paint it, or do you plan to do it your self.
LOL. The craziest part is that it's not getting painted. I'm having the entire vehicle sprayed with Line-X Xtra (Kevlar topcoated). It will match the original paint code (electric blue metallic) on the truck, but you won't be able to damage the finish!

All of the xtra bolt-ons are being sprayed with black Line-X:
- my custom built steel bedrail/cage
- Evan's awesome front and rear bumpers (sprayed outside and backside)
- Tiregate
- inside fender wells
- inside door jambs

The goal is to make it a baja-inspired truck that also is equipped for **** near any daily work, trail, or other task I can think of. It's not going to be a garage queen. I am just taking my time to try to incorporate all of the possible custom protection features ahead of time so it can be used without fear of severely damaging anything. I'm trying to account for water damage, rust, vibrational problems, cracking of fiberglass, etc. That's why I spent so much time with bed and tailgate area reinforcements.

The next custom pieces will probably be rock sliders for protection under the doors, plate steel differential covers, and some underbody armor. As long as I keep doing the majority of the work myself, it's not as expensive as it may sound. It's when you contract out all of the work that the $$ gets painful.

Thanks for the interest!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

I think you have really thought about everything! That's going to be one of the coolest trucks around. When do you start messing with suspension? And is it going to be long arm 4 link style or radius arm or what?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 AM

Leaning towards the upcoming Carli radius arm setup. I think I may weld up my own roughly 3/4" extended length control arms just temporarily for front wheelwell clearance until the carli setup is out.

Btw, you have to check out the videos Carli posted to YouTube showing the radius arms in action!! Awesome!!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

10-4 man I'll have to check it out! I'm thinking about building a set for me and one for a friend, so it's time to start doing some research.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
would like to know what type of damper he is using for the upper mount on the axle that attaches to the radius arm. he has some nice stuff but stiff pricing

Quick Reply: Project 'Rock': A documentary of my buildup...