3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Problems with 4-way trailer connector.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Problems with 4-way trailer connector.

My left hand turn signal and brake light have stopped working on the trailer. I had the trailer checked out, it works fine. So the problem is in my trucks wiring. I have checked all the fuses and they are good. Any idea's where I should look for problems? I'm going to stop by the dealer on my lunch break and have them look at it. Also it had a instrument cluster code "23 61" come up, would that have anything to do with my problem?

EDIT: It also is affecting the 7-way connector too.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know exactly what it is...
It is the power distribution box under the hood... I had to replace mine and it was $250 for the part and 1 to 1.5 installation time at your local shop rate. I had to pay $450 to get it done and it was backordered for over a week
I hope I am wrond ... but that was the deal for me!
Old 07-18-2006, 03:17 PM

Wiring is messed up somewhere or you just didnt find the right fuse. Should be a 20amp YELLOW blade in the Underhood Compartment. Check all of the bulbs to see if you have blown them with a short. Take a DC Meter and Check your Voltage at the pins while turning the turn signals on and the brakes+.

Good luck- - - most of the time it is something very simple.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:22 PM

Well it's at the dealer now. And yes i checked all the bulbs and fuses, also checked the plug. The left hand signal/brake is dead, no voltage. I hope it's not the power distribution thingy. All the lights on the truck work fine, just the left hand trailer lights not working, and yes I checked out the trailer, it works fine.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:28 PM

Arrrrg, the problem is the power distibution module $465. Thats the last thing I need right now.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by masterphreak
Arrrrg, the problem is the power distibution module $465. Thats the last thing I need right now.
Sorry!
I had the same issue...
I looked at the setup and it looks like you just pull it and unplug the old bax and just plug in the new one... After seeing what they did I felt really ripped off! I won't be paying for that again!!!
$200 labor for that?? BS! It would take 15 min and the rest of the time was on his lunch break!
OG
Old 07-19-2006, 12:58 AM

Well I don't know if I will be taking it back to the dealer to get it fixed. The morons they got working in the service deparment at my local dealer scratched up the front of my truck. Looks like they rubbed up against something . There is white paint on my front end now and several chips in it too. I will most likely just get the parts and fix it myself. I really don't like my local dodge dealer. Thats the second time they have messed one of my trucks up. Last time they left down the window when it was raining all day long. I really don't trust them to work on my truck anymore.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:20 AM

I had the same issue with mine. I didn't want to take it to the dealer so I just tapped into the left taillight on the truck. I ran a jumper wire from there over to the trailer harness. Lots of guys here gasped when I did this but it's been over a year with no problems.....
Old 07-19-2006, 09:58 AM

masterphreak

I was talking with a friend who works mostly on Chrysler cars. He mentioned the power distribution box will detect a problem and shutdown. It then restarts. If the problem is still present the cycle continues. This can only go on so long before it quits working. Yours could either be a one time deal or a continuing problem. Double check all of your trailers for shorts/grounds.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Banned

Can someone tell me more about what happens to the pwr dist box? I'm curious to know what fails. It if shuts down and restarts and back and forth, sounds like a circuit breaker. That box can't have any real brains in it. I think I'll get out the circuit diagrams and look at what all that thing does. It sure would be nice to know what problems exists so that if it happens I'll know where to start looking. As for letting the dealers work on our trucks, you got to watch 'em like a hawk! Growing up in a body shop, it is funny how they can't think you are a moron and try to pull a bunch of crap. Their eyes get really big when you call them out.

I think they are ripping you/us off. If the box fails, the fuses and/or circuit breakers should have been sized properly to keep things from melting down. Therefor this would be a design failure and DC should replace the box with a better designed one as a recall or TSB. If the circuit breaker or fuses are failing, they should be cheap and replaceable in the field, not for $200 at the dealer. Either way, failure of this box means is wasn't designed properly. Everything should be fused as to not deteriorate the electrical system if something shorts or gets overloaded.

I'd get the old box from them and tear into it and see what failed. They may just be putting a new box in instead of replacing a $30 circuit breaker.

JWB
Old 07-19-2006, 10:35 AM

Are you guys out of warranty of something? Seems like for an 04.5 or an 05 truck this should be covered? But I guess most of you have over 36K maybe. I guess I don't drive enough, only having 17K on my '05
Old 07-19-2006, 10:55 AM

Yeah i'm well over 36k miles, 51500 or so. Good idea on getting the old part back from them. I was already thinking about that. I was just too **** mad when I saw the damage on the front to remember to ask them. Most likely they won't do anything about the damage either . Last time I let them work on my truck.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:39 PM

Well just picked up my truck. They didn't fix it. They thought it was the IPM, whatever that is. Now they say it is the PDC power distribution center(part# 56049019AF), and they can't order it. I'm looking in junkyards now. Any help from the DTR members would be a really big help.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:27 PM

How the heck can they not be able to order a part for a nearly new truck?? That's ridiculous!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by masterphreak
Well just picked up my truck. They didn't fix it. They thought it was the IPM, whatever that is. Now they say it is the PDC power distribution center(part# 56049019AF), and they can't order it. I'm looking in junkyards now. Any help from the DTR members would be a really big help.
Thats Bull Waste! I diagnosed the problem from here and I know it wasn't the IPM... They can order the PDC Box. My dealer ordered me one without a problem and they had 2 trucks in for the same problem.. Find a New Dealer... Just call them and have them order it. You might be able to find one in a junkyard but they don't offer a return on electronics so be careful.

As far as the old Box goes... If someone here is electronically gifted... Get the old Box and Learn what went out nad how to make an external relay or fuse to bypass the curcuit in the Box so that it is a $1 to $10 fix instead of a $450 fix.

Oilguy

Quick Reply: Problems with 4-way trailer connector.