3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Problem with vent kit.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with vent kit.

I ordered one of those kits to move the fuel vent, went in okay, getting the electrical connector off was the biggest hassle.
After I was done I put the 20 litres of fuel I siphoned out back in and went and filled it up, put in 136 litres, add the 20 to that and I end up with a 156 litres in my 132 litre tank thanks to the mod, cool.

So I park it our driveway which has a slight up hill to it, when we come out to go for Mother's day dinner we find a nice little puddle under the truck. We drive to the restaurant and park slightly down hill, it's still dripping and there's another little puddle after dinner when we come out. I have inner fenders so can't see anything but I'm hoping for a loose hose clamp on the vent.

By time I park in the garage tonight I have 50 kilometres on the fill up, still dripping. So I take off the inner fender, the hose clamp is not leaking, the new fitting is not leaking but there is fuel around the tank module.

So I gotta wait for the next empty tank to drop it again, this time I'll use a new o-ring gasket. Anyone else had a problem like this?

One thing concerns me, when I was tightening the module with a screwdriver and hammer I put a little dent in the tank with the point of the screwdriver, I hope I didn't go through although I checked at the time and didn't look like it. If I did though, any suggestion on how can I repair the tank?
Old 05-15-2006, 07:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is normal. When filled to the top and the fuel expands due to temperature it's got to go somewhere. I recommend only filling to the brim if driving on a long trip so the fuel level can drop quickly.

MikeyB
Old 05-15-2006, 08:02 AM

Hmmm, not sure if it's normal, the fuel didn't expand that much, I was parked in the shade etc and I opened the gas cap to see if it was due to expansion, didn't seem to be under pressure. It just seems to me like every time the fuel will be into the raised part of the tank (which is our whole reason for doing the mod to begin with) fuel will be higher than the module and I'll have a leak, not a cool thing on my brand new truck.
The way I see it in stock condition fuel is sposed to expand into the raised part of the back of the tank, up past the module which is sposed to be sealed to the tank.

On the good side I checked the piece of the tank I cut out with the hole saw, the outer layer is about 1/8" thick with a white piece on the inside about the same thickness, the whole tank is about ¼" thick, no way I poked the screw driver through all that, I just dented the outer black part.

Anyhow, I'm gonna contact the guy that sells the kit and ask him for advice, maybe he could include a new o-ring in the kit¿
If this is normal I'll block the new vent and go back to the old one, I siphoned out 5 gallons last night to stop the drips...
Old 05-15-2006, 09:17 AM

could be the fuel expansion, could also be you just pinched the o-ring when reinstalling.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:25 AM

I don't think its normal. I fill to very top of the neck and then go park in my steep driveway. Never spilled anything.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by welndmn
could be the fuel expansion, could also be you just pinched the o-ring when reinstalling.
That's what I think. Looking back now I seem to remember the o-ring was stuck to the module when I took it out. I removed it to clean and when I put it back together I didn't re-position it on the module, I just placed it on the tank not looking at the bottom of the module, DOH!

I hate it when I do things like that!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:01 PM

I had problems with the "sleeve gasket" when I did mine. It's VERY important to position it correctly. I never did replace it. The leaking on mine got progressively worse. I finally dropped the tank to check it out. I found the sleeve gasket in the bottom of the tank!!! Put it back on the module & was careful this time. No leaking. As far as some leaking being normal, not in my experience. I lived in Texas for a while & even on hot summer days, I'd fill up until fuel was standing in the neck & no leaking.

As far as Dave including a new sleeve gasket in the kit, not necessary. I've had mine out three times & it's still in there in no leaking. I priced it once & they are about $10. Just being careful in the re-install is enough. Dave is a great guy & very responsive to requests for help, info, suggestions, etc.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fisherguy, just curious: you get the gasket installed yet? Is your tank sealed??????

Tony
Old 05-16-2006, 05:12 PM

Not yet.
I siphoned 5 gallons out the other night to get it to stop dripping. Ordered a new o-ring (cheap insurance). Still lotsa fuel left in it, will probably take 2-3 weeks to get it to empty to make dropping the tank easier.
I might put the driver's side on ramps, use a floor jack or 2 and my son to lower it this weekend..
...would be so much easier if it wasn't full...
Old 05-17-2006, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for your misfortune....Please post your final resolution, so others may be able to learn from this!

Tony
Old 05-20-2006, 03:48 PM

DOH!

Okay, got it apart again, seems I'm a bigger bonehead than I thought, I did punch the screwdriver through...

Now the question is what kinda epoxy can I force into the divot to patch it that will be okay with the diesel fuel? I'd also like to glue something to the inside of the tank as a patch but I guess that's probably not necessary...¿
Old 05-20-2006, 04:23 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The tanks are polyethylene and epoxy won't stick well. With poly you have to weld it or use bulkhead fittings to seal to it. Welding doesn't seem too smart with all the vapors and a very hot heat source but you could use a hot soldering iron to melt the hole closed. I suggest first trying a sheet metal screw with an O ring under the head . Find one with a fairly large head and don't drill the hole bigger, just screw it in till the O ring is compressed a bit. Should hold just fine, especially on top. The material will just mash out of the way and get a good grip on the screw if you don't pre drill. Don't use a battery drill 'cause you might strip it, just screw it in by hand until snug.

I have a question too. When removing the tank do you have to be careful to not damage the lines going to it? Where the metal line are attached to the frame, then go to the tank, how do you deal with them as the tank is lowered so as to not break anything? It seems almost impossible to reach in there and disconnect stuff.

John
Old 05-20-2006, 08:05 PM

After some do it yourself plastic welding with a soldering iron using bits of the tank from the hole I cut in it (actually good friend and fellow CTRD owner Tony did it) all is well!!

Filled it up, no leaky, inner fender back in place and good to go!!
WOOHOO!!
Old 05-21-2006, 08:20 AM

yeah i ran over a short t post property marker right after i moved to colorado and ripped a 8" long gash in the tank. I did the plastic welding with quick steel on top of that. just get the right sticks to weld with, there are a few different ones for different plastics.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Banned

I can not for the life of me stop thinking how much easier this could be witha well placed holesaw fromthe top, throughthe bed, under the bedliner, this way when you have to go in and do anything in the tank out comes the bedliner and wham, access.

Quick Reply: Problem with vent kit.